I'm surprised at how quickly protesters took to the streets around the world, within hours of the raid.
Yes, isn't that oddly suspicious? It's almost as if people around the world
knew in advance at approximately what date the ships were to approach the target area, and that the Israeli might try to stop them in some way. I am not usually a paranoid person, but something about this makes me believe that this whole convoy was actually planned beforehand, and not something that just suddenly materialised off the Cypriot shore!
I met a friend at a protest yesterday, who asserted that he had heard about these ships several days ago -- a ludicrous lie, of course, and one which I didn't believe for an instant. He went on to say that he had suspected something would happen to these ships when they came close to Israel, an equally inane statement. I said to him: if you can predict the sudden realignment of various trace elements in the Mediterranean into a convoy of aid ships and the response of the Israeli military to this development in advance with any degree of accuracy, I know a place where you can easily get a million dollars (1)!
I am astonished that
none of the local newspapers have had the courage to look into how this convoy could have been kept such a secret from everyone in the world (2), except for a handful of fanatics. They are probably all shivering in fright that authors, Holocaust survivors and pediatricians will suddenly show up in their back yards, attempting to smuggle in candy to their kids on a week day, despite the editors' stern "Candy only on Saturdays!" policy.
As a member of the political left, I am outraged and dismayed about how a small cabal have kept this whole operation a secret. I know several people -- I among them -- who would have been more than willing to support them with money and other things, if only we hadn't been kept in the dark.
There is obviously a need for more transparency in these solidarity projects; the left needs to broadcast their intentions more. Perhaps we could set aside a day every year -- preferably sometime in the spring or early summer, so that we'll stand a better chance of having fair and decent weather -- to just meeting up and discuss these things, perhaps outdoors? That way, we could all be better informed on various initiatives and ideas, and maybe we would, as a result, become better organised, so that we're not caught with our pants in the jam jar like this time.
---
(1) He responded, having taken some offense, that I was obviously pulling his leg as, I quote, "That much money does not exist now, nor has it ever existed in the history of mankind!"
(2) One reputable local newspaper claims this was the best kept secret since Sir Howard Makefroth Smythe-Lombard discovered a second Africa off the western coast of the first, more well-known, one in 1865, though the veracity of this mysterious continent -- which quite tellingly does not appear on Google Maps! -- has not yet been independently established.