By all means, keep speaking french. Drink your Labatts 50. Eat your poutine. Cheer for the Canadiens. You certainly have the right to do so.
Stereotypes, is that all you know about Québec culture?
I know a lot about Quebec culture. I chose those rather obvious stereotypes because they'd be things that most people would identify (rightly or wrongly) as being "Quebec-oriented".
Or is it culture in general you dislike? You don't seem to care about Québec's culture or even your own.
I care about what brings me enjoyment, and what enhances humanity. Having a group of people subverting individual freedoms in order to protect a culture does nothing to enhance humanity.
But your desire to keep doing these things should not trump the right of Anglophone quebecers to use English as they see fit.
So what?
You said yourself one should adapt with the times. Why don't anglophones adapt to Québec? By your own standards, if culture and language are not that important, then the anglophones shouldn't mind, right?
A change in language usage/culture should be directed by individual preferences, not by government decree.
If an Quebec anglophone decides to switch to French because he runs a business and can serve customers better, or because he can communicate with the community better, then by all means do so. If, for whatever reason he decides to stick to English (maybe he is infatuated with British royalty or something) that should be his right.
You would actually take up German and forget about English? No more Gordon Lightfoot, no more Leonard Cohen?
Umm... isn't that stereotyping?
If, for some reason most performers decided to switch to french, they have that right. And if I decided that music was important, then I'd have to switch along with them.
Heck, 2 thousand years ago the English language didn't exist.
Yes, but of course we're not taking about thousands of years. I'm talking about you and your lifespan, your brothers and sisters lifespans, and your kids' future.
Well, in the space of 1 or 2 lifespans (in around a century) we've seen:
- The rise of new technologies geared towards entertainment (video games/movies) often with their own terminology
- Changes in basic society moors
- New government social programs
- The rise of new music styles (rock and roll, etc.)
Someone transported from the early 1900s would have trouble recognizing much of the culture of today.
You think Native cultures shouldn't fight to preserve their way of life? Would you actually say to a Mohawk "So what"?
Actually, I think Natives
should act to preserve their way of life (or at least elements of their history/culture.) I'd hope at the very least we'd have historians document everything they could. But that doesn't mean we should have the government
force him to maintain his culture, if he should decide that he'd rather adopt English or French cultural elements.
Yes I know. you're one of the few lucky ones who don't care about cultural identity and belonging.
Actually, its more that I actually care about personal freedoms.
You must have a very dry library of books and movies.
Actually, I've got a rather extensive collection of movies... nearing 400 at this point. Granted a lot of them are American-style blockbusters, but I also make it a point to purchase Canadian movies. Also have a lot of Canadian CDs in my music collection.
And guess what? I have those Canadian movies/CDs because they bring me enjoyment, not because the government has stepped in and said "You must have X number of Canadian movies in your collection in order to protect Canadian culture".