• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Anti-English discrimination in Quebec

I should have clarified that I didn't mean a career. I meant a part time job, as a student.

Then you haven't looked enough, keep trying. I think they hire even allophones at McDonalds'.

I know all about the Quite Revolution, the official languages act, bill 101 etc..

No you don't.

It's good that French is now the main language of administration because Francos are the majority.

Bill 101 helped a great deal to make sure French remained the main language. Pick up a history book, rent a movie, try to learn how life was in Québec in the sixties and seventies, before Bill 101.

The ruling French should give the Anglos the same rights we gave the Quebecois when the English were administrating the province. It's almost as if the Quebec government is trying to take revenge on the Anglos. I also know that numerous businesses moved to Toronto because of the strict language laws and that caused Montreal's decline as Canada's most economically important city.

Why don't you try that old rubbish on someone else. Those lame talking points are old and tired.

There is no problems between the Anglos and Francos in Québec in 2010. Don't wake up old graves.
 
There hasn't been any feud in the last decade between the French and the English in Québec, everything is going fine between the two communities. I was wondering why all of a sudden someone started a thread about old grievances, opening up old wounds.

Now I know why. A freaking toddler just learned about Bill 101 at school.

*********** ridiculous.

Why don't you grow some facial hair.

And leave Madame Marois alone, you can't even vote goddammit!

The fact that Anglos do not have the right to buy a business and post it in their native language is not "fine" in my book. The fact that English language education is being strangled is not "fine" either. The fact that any business that does not post their signs in French is subject to a heavy fine by OQLF(aka the language police) and possibly shut down is not "fine" in my book. The fact that both the PQ and PLQ want to wipe out the English culture in Quebec is not "fine". The fact that Anglos are blamed for just about anything in Quebec by people from respected journals like "Le Devoir" is not "fine" by me. Need i go on?

By the way, I'm over 18 so I can vote and Marois is a racist, anti-English, separatist bigot. She's the one who actually proposed passing Bill making it mandate to be able to connect with the French culture in order to vote.
 
Bill 101 helped a great deal to make sure French remained the main language. Pick up a history book, rent a movie, try to learn how life was in Québec in the sixties and seventies, before Bill 101.

Although the situation was reverse, at least Quebec was bilingual at the time. Bill 101 has also damaged Francophones, whom the majority wish to have the choice to attend both schools in case you didn't know.


Why don't you try that old rubbish on someone else. Those lame talking points are old and tired.

But correct. All the businesses that refused to operate in French left the province, that's a fact. The freakin BMO moved to Toronto because of Law 101!!!
 
The fact that Anglos do not have the right to buy a business and post it in their native language is not "fine" in my book.

On what planet do you live in?

The fact that English language education is being strangled is not "fine" either.
Well your education is certainly at fault, they didn't give you history lessons


The fact that any business that does not post their signs in French is subject to a heavy fine by OQLF(aka the language police)
If they post in both languages they're OK.

The fact that both the PQ and PLQ want to wipe out the English culture in Quebec is not "fine".
What weed are you smoking?

The fact that Anglos are blamed for just about anything in Quebec by people from respected journals like "Le Devoir" is not "fine" by me.
Like what?

Need i go on?
Go on making a fool of yourself you mean?

By the way, I'm over 18 so I can vote and Marois is a racist, anti-English, separatist bigot.
I think you should start to worry about girls your own age.

She's the one who actually proposed passing Bill making it mandate to be able to connect with the French culture in order to vote.
In order to be eligible for office.

You're in College and you can't even read correctly.

I think you need to calm your hormones down a little bit.
 
Last edited:
Although the situation was reverse, at least Quebec was bilingual at the time.

You truly don't get it do you? We couldn't speak French in our own province, get service in administrative places and in the workplace in our own language.

Capisce?

But correct. All the businesses that refused to operate in French left the province, that's a fact. The freakin BMO moved to Toronto because of Law 101!!!
Are your parents helping you feeding you talking points while you post? These are all known fear tactics from the seventies.
 
BTW, to go back to the OP, what kind of jobs did you apply?

This is really what all this is about right? You being frustrated and jobless.
 
These are just a few examples of the anti-English silliness that takes place in Quebec:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2OGCKoTykxw/S9hke5cuAII/AAAAAAAABm0/BgicBilgpFg/s1600/07_AK_4-1.jpg

Pictures that supposedly prove Montreal is become Anglicized
http://www.imperatif-francais.org/bienvenu/photos/une-anglicisation-fulgurante.html

25 "distinguised" Quebecers denounced the Anglo participation of last year's Summer Festival in Quebec City and a letter of complain was sent to Minister of Culture, Christine St.Pierre
http://www.canoe.com/divertissement/musique/nouvelles/2010/05/06/13848746-pc.html

I love how Quebec claims to be on a deficit, yet it somehow has enough money to launch useless French campaigns such as this

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2OGCKoTykxw/S7orUcmyRMI/AAAAAAAABk0/KR8tHwyRP9g/s400/Merci....jpg

Edited by LashL: 
To remove hotlinked images. Please see Rule 5.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pardalis,

The main point of this thread was to point out the discrimination that takes place in Quebec against Anglos in general.
 
You know buddy, you're only 18, if you're going to go on with this attitude you're never going to fit in.

You're 18 and you're spouting old rubbish from the seventies. You seem very angry at us, and you are obviously frustrated about something and blaming the whole of Québec for it.

Posting a picture of a few senior citizens picketing outside a UPS store is not very serious.

ETA: I think you should try to know a few Québécois instead of trying to demonize us. We're really not that bad.
 
Last edited:
You know buddy, you're only 18, if you're going to go on with this attitude you're never going to fit in.

You're 18 and you're spouting old rubbish from the seventies. You seem very angry at us, and you are obviously frustrated about something and blaming the whole of Québec for it.

Posting a picture of a few senior citizens picketing outside a UPS store is not very serious.

I'm simply trying to point out that there IS conflict between anglos and francos, at least in the realm of language debate. It's not so much for the job(i've already worked before).

Like i said earlier, Quebec society was no perfect prior to 101 because Francos could not speak their own language in the province. However, Law 101 has damaged both communities because Francophone parents also wish to send their kids to French schools, but can't. Quebec is the only province in Canada where children are "legally" deprived of the opportunity to choose which language they want to be educated in, you do realize that right? Bills 101 and 104 violate individual rights of the Quebec population and that my friend, is not a democracy. I honestly do not know how these laws have any place in Canada.

Quebec doesn't seem to realize that it is only isolating itself from the rest of Canada and the world with these stupid laws.
 
Bill 101 isn't perfect, and you have every right to want to oppose it and want to change it. Do it through legal means by all means.

But you have no right to slander people and demonize an entire people, and make up lies about their intentions. Nobody is trying to get rid of English get that out of your head.
 
Pardalis,

I live in Quebec so obviously I have Quebecois friends and guess what? They're for freedom as well and some of them hate Bill 101. One of my best friends is a Franco. Learn to distinguish between politics and citizens. 61% of Francophones are for a universal education in which they can freely choose which language they wish to instructed in
http://www.montrealgazette.com/life...+choose+language+education/3010906/story.html
 
Bill 101 isn't perfect, and you have every right to want to oppose it and want to change it. Do it through legal means by all means.

But you have no right to slander people and demonize an entire people, and make up lies about their intentions. Nobody is trying to get rid of English get that out of your head.

Ad hominems won't work on me. I specified on many occasions that I think the elite are attempting to wipe out the English culture, i never said the average Quebec Francophone citizen wants that. I only posted a few example of French language extremists to show the silliness of their extremism. Just to be clear.
 
If the link and the pictures you posted is the "French extremism" you are referring to, then I wouldn't worry if I were you. :rolleyes:
 
If the link and the pictures you posted is the "French extremism" you are referring to, then I wouldn't worry if I were you. :rolleyes:

My main problems are Bills 101 and 104. I'm not saying to scrap the entire French Language Charter, only to amend or to lift some restrictions on English language education. I love Canada and I love Quebec and that's why I hate the fact that Quebec has such a bad reputation across Canada for such laws, which doesn't even represent the majority Francophone population as recent polls show. I'm sure there are more efficient ways to protect the French language that does not restrict people's individual choices.

I apologize if it seemed like I was smearing Quebecers as a people, I did not intend to. Heck, I even party on St.Jean Baptiste :P
 
Last edited:
I decided to take the second paragraph of the OP and reverse it...

I live in the Vancouver area and live with my parents. I'm currently having a hard time finding a job due to my lack of English .... Now, one might say "just learn English you tard", but it's more than just that. I'm a Canadian citizen, and as such I should have my rights as a French speaker to have my rights in British Columbia.

Nope, I can't agree with that. Someone who wants to purely speak French cannot make such demands on the rest of the non-French-speaking society. So I have to conclude that the French majority in Québec should not be subject to the similar demands of an English speaker.

I'm an Anglo-Canadian from the West, learned French in school (not immersion) and as someone has already pointed out learning it in school doesn't mean much when no one uses it so most of my French has been forgotten. Not that I was ever fluent in it.

I think part of the issue is that French Canadians know full well that the moment they step outside the French-speaking areas of Canada that they are going to have a very difficult time finding gainful employment without knowing English. I doubt that they kid themselves into thinking “I'm Canadian so I should be able to get a decent job in Saskatoon without knowing any English”. So I can see how an English speaker who demands that of them would get a frosty reception. English speakers need to realize that in French-speaking parts we should be making the effort to learn their language, not that they should change to accomodate us -- since we don't to the same for them.
 
Last edited:
No. When I was in school in Alberta, I was -never- required to take a single class in French. I took it as an option, until I realized that I wasn't learning anything from the classes, and took different options.

In BC, my kids are enrolled in a French-immersion school, so I haven't bothered to check to see if French is required or not.

When I was a kid in Alberta it was required from grade 4-6, but optional after that. I took it from grade 7-9 (and had French classes in grades 1-3 in Ontario), but really can't speak a word of it now.
 
If you're asking this question, then it means you will never understand.

On the other hand if you're unable to answer it, it suggests that you may not have a reasonable answer.

Now, personally I can see some validity in the idea that the french language should be preserved in Quebec. But at what cost? Those sorts of questions become more difficult to answer.

When it comes down to it, I think that the people of quebec have every right to support their language and try to maintain it's usage, short of stepping on the rights of others.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom