• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Call to ban the burqa in Australia

The only just law would be one that prohibits concealing your face on the premesis of businesses unless otherwise posted by the business owner. Banning burqas and motorcycle helmets is some fascist Palinesque BS.
 
Banning burqas and motorcycle helmets is some fascist Palinesque BS.
Yeah, how fascist to want a country where women aren't forced to conceal their entire bodies.
 
Burkhas are a security threat. i have a right to know who is approaching me or who comes into my store.
 
I cannot think of any good reasons that a person could have for wanting another person to hide their face. It removes all personality from them and reduces them to a piece of cloth.

I have no problems if people want to wear it in religious building, but I think it should be banned in places that require easy identification - schools, banks, at airports, etc
 
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/the-burqa-is-a-war-on-women-20100520-vnp3.html

[...]

There is no doubt that women who don this ostentatious costume in the West are proud of their piety. One such woman told me, "the niqab is submission and servitude to my Almighty Creator" and that I had no right to question her choice to wear it. Well, I do. What God demands men roam free while women wear a sackcloth that restricts their movement and dehumanises them? What God wants to punish women in this way? What God hates women so much that he restricts her right to be man's equal?

The answer is obvious. No God. This is the work of men - who claim a direct link to the divine - and wish to keep women subordinate and under their control. It's that simple.
 
did he call to ban the ENTIRE burqa????

or just the face covering. i wish people would be clear about this.

i have no problem with the full body cover. i just wanna see peoples full face.
 
Wish you would actually know what you're talking about when it comes to a burqa:

204811235_357e16202c.jpg


Is there a specific part?
 
Let's for a moment assume the advocates of a burqa ban are right, and the majority of women who wear burqas do so involuntarily. What do they expect to happen to the women involved if burqas were banned?

I can tell you with great certainty what is going to happen: the men who don't allow them to leave the house unless fully covered, will then simply not allow them to leave the house at all. What a great achievement in the liberation of these women that will be, eh?

There is a lot of talk about "rights" made up on the spot -- such as the "right to see someone's face" -- but what is suspiciously absent in the discussion is how it is going to affect the women who are the centre of the debate.
 
I wonder what the Burqa-defenders think would happen, if all Muslim women in Western countries were required by law, to show their faces?
 
I wonder what the Burqa-defenders think would happen, if all Muslim women in Western countries were required by law, to show their faces?

I suppose I could be considered a Burqa-defender, and I suspect you would see more male muslims at the grocery-store, and an uptick in grocery delivery-services.

You can't ban a symptom and hope the disease goes away, I'm afraid.
 
I can tell you with great certainty what is going to happen: the men who don't allow them to leave the house unless fully covered, will then simply not allow them to leave the house at all. What a great achievement in the liberation of these women that will be, eh?

Then the solution is to leave that man. Call the police and report him for illegal confinement and/or domestic abuse.
 
Then the solution is to leave that man. Call the police and report him for illegal confinement and/or domestic abuse.
What was not quoted in the article is that there are only an estimated 200 women in australia that wear either the Burqa or the Niqab. the politician is an ass and is purely motivated by grabbing headlines not about the core issue. banning the burqa specifically is silly as the fallen serpent said if security is the isse ban any form of clothing that covers the face.
 
What was not quoted in the article is that there are only an estimated 200 women in australia that wear either the Burqa or the Niqab. the politician is an ass and is purely motivated by grabbing headlines not about the core issue. banning the burqa specifically is silly as the fallen serpent said if security is the isse ban any form of clothing that covers the face.
I'd love to see how that estimate has been arrived at. I often drive through Preston and Dandenong, two Melbourne suburbs, and would see a dozen women wearing the burqa or naqib. Hell, one of my company's staff wears a naqib! And south-west Sydney, Lakemba in particular, has a lot more muslims than anywhere else (and I visit that area a lot as well).

Any evidence for this 200 estimate?
 
Even if it IS only 200, no women should be subjugated. It's also irrelevant if the politician is courting the media - the issue is important.
 
DrKarlKid, you wear the moniker of the famous Dr Karl. Do him the honour of providing some proof of your "200 wear the burqa and naqib". Even the greenleft and Kaysar Trad don't make that claim. Evidence or withdraw this stupid claim.
 
Even if it IS only 200, no women should be subjugated.

In the name of personal freedom, we command you not to dress in that particular manner! This is better than the oppressive culture that commands you to dress in that particular manner!
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom