Piscivore
Smelling fishy
I think it would, yes.Well, I already gave my definition of indoctrinate, which I think is the most common one. If you really think it's helpful, I'll substitute that definition in place of the word 'indoctrination' in each instance from now on.
One compares the action under consideration with the defintion of "hit" one is using. Are you really claiming there is no way to objectively determine if "to deal a blow or stroke to" has happened or not?Ah, but what counts as a 'hit' and what doesn't? There is no clear cut, objective way to determine this as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes. What is wrong with requesting a coherent, consistent defintion of an event someone claims has happened and evidence it actually has happened? Isn't that what skepticism and critical thinking are about?And it is something like this what you demand evidence for.
Then why do you say it?I say that teaching your children to accept your bible without question under implied or direct threat of eternal torment could be seen as child abuse. I see no way to back this up with evidence.
And reason alone never comes up with a wrong answer? Which is more reliable, pure reason or empirical evidence?Reason.
It's the philosopher's primary instrument.
I've seen evidence otherwise, yes. Including Complexity himself.I find your position on this very strange. Are you honestly claiming that parents teaching children to accept ideas uncritically under threat of hellfire will not have any significant effect on that child's reasoning capacity?
That's not what I said either. I said that the evidence seems to indicate that increased CT skill lessens the effect.If teachings as extreme as that wouldn't have any effect,
I think you'll find that I did, in fact.You cannot make that conclusion.
That's not quite it.Your argument goes as follows:
1) There are people with religious education and basic critical thinking skills who reject their teachings
2) People who do not think critically tend to fall victim to woo
3) Therefore, it is lack of critical thinking and not religion that is the (main) problem.
P1) People with critical thinking skills exposed to religions teachings and other non-evidenced based ideas have been observed rejecting these ideas where people with lesser or no CT skills do not.
P2) People with limited or no critical thinking skills exposed to religions teachings and other non-evidenced based ideas have been observed to later develop CT skills.
C) Exposure to religions teachings and other non-evidenced based ideas do not inherently diminish or prevent the development of CT skills.
No, it's the lack of evidence that does that.And even if 3) were true it would not disprove my statement that religion significantly contributes to a lack of critical thinking.
So sorry, I didn't realise the statment included an unwritten "...except when it doesn't" clause.Still completely wrong. There is nothing in the statement "religious education causes a lack of critical thinking skills" that says that it prevents ANYONE from thinking critically if they have been subject to it. It's a common rule that there are exceptions to everything and frankly I don't understand why you would pretend that we hold such a rediculous position when we clearly don't.
So the predictive power of this belief is essentially zero, then? "Religious education might cause a lack of critical thinking skills, it might not, who knows" is more accurate?
???I guess I forgot to inform you that I end all of my statements with a silent BOCTAOE.
ETA: Googled it. How many "obvious exceptions" must an idea rack up under this concept before it's admitted to just not be correct?
I implied nothing. The question is one I ask myself every day. The day I get a good answer I'll rethink my skepticism.Technically true. However, it is implied that the first part (the conditional part) is true.
Compare with: "If you are so smart, how come you believe in X?"
What's annoying is what's implied.
That's a good question. It opens the door for one to explain the evidence for why one embraces atheism. I've already invited you through that door with regards to your assertion about religious education.Right. It's the equivalent of a religious person asking an atheist "Why have faith in atheism?".
Last edited: