• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Meow Meow and the Media

The UK govts shambolic approach to recreational drugs is pathetic. The media feed it, stir it up and then sit back and watch the govt make evermore cocked up solutions to the problems.

Although there clearly are safety issues with mephedrone, more than ever it is apparent that the only principle driving UK legislation is the moral judgement that if something gets you high, it must be bad, and therefore it must be banned.
 
That would only happen if the government were so scared by the media that they use an Order-in-Council to impose an immediate ban, otherwise the normal Parliamentary process could take months, even if the new ACMD issue is side-stepped.

Looks like they really are that scared of the media. The Guardian is reporting Alan Johnson is expected to push through an emergency ban in he next couple of days.

"Home secretary Alan Johnson to rush ban on legal high through parliament despite resignation of drugs adviser"
 
Panic hasn't hit the US, mainly because on this side of the pond, the local right wing rags are busy being hysterical about the fact that our country is being run by a Muslim-Communist-Black Supremist-Bomb Making-Slacker with organized crime connections.

The local left wing rags are busy being hysterical about our odds on assassination attempts (made slightly more likely by, y'know, people talking about assassination and the actual assassination attempt).

So we have no time to be hysterical about kids snorting plant food. Hell, it might protect their brains from the communist propaganda and right wing assassins.
 
That would only happen if the government were so scared by the media that they use an Order-in-Council to impose an immediate ban, otherwise the normal Parliamentary process could take months, even if the new ACMD issue is side-stepped.

Oh dear oh dear

Emergency legislation is expected to be announced this afternoon by the home secretary, Alan Johnson, to ban the legal high mephedrone, after his expert drug advisers disclosed that the drug has been implicated in 25 deaths in England and Scotland.

The ban is expected to gain cross-party support to be rushed through both houses of parliament in the four remaining sitting days before the general election.

The decision to rush ahead with legislation comes despite the resignation of a further member of the government's Advisory Council for the Misuse of Drugs leaving a legal question mark.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/mar/29/emergency-ban-mephedrone-25-deaths

I'm surprised they're not dissolving parliament and moving to a war footing in the face of such a great threat to our nation.....
 
2) Although it was known as "meow" (singular), there is no evidence that users were calling it "meow meow" until long after the media has started using the term.

I did wonder about the name, it did sound a bit silly....

people generally don't like to sound like idiots.

"Can I have some canny-wanny-bis please?"

"No, but I've got some speedy-weedy or some smacky smacky....."
 
I did wonder about the name, it did sound a bit silly....

people generally don't like to sound like idiots.

"Can I have some canny-wanny-bis please?"

"No, but I've got some speedy-weedy or some smacky smacky....."

:) I suspect the name is a reference to the fact that it's based on the active ingredient in khat.
 
I was under the impression that it started because the active chemical is called M-CAT in chemistry shorthand. Either way everyone seems in agreement that no-one except the newspapers ever calls it meow-meow.
It's like when they said everyone was calling ecstasy "disco biscuits" everyone I knew called it ecstasy.
 
That's taken as read.
It seems there's some doubt; I haven't bothered to actually research it myself, though, just made the assumption based on what I'd read.
The point is that it was being called (amongst other things) "meow," but not the "meow meow" claimed by the media.
Yes, I got that. Sorry if it wasn't clear, the smiley was acknowledging that, and the speculating as to the origin of the name was moving on from that. Some of the posher papers are spelling it, "miaow miaow"
 
Apoligies if this has already been answered, but is it actually useful as a plant food, or is that just a way to get it to market?

Rolfe.
 
Apoligies if this has already been answered, but is it actually useful as a plant food, or is that just a way to get it to market?

Rolfe.

I don't think it has any plant related benefits - the label's just being used as a loophole for sellers....
 
I was under the impression that it started because the active chemical is called M-CAT in chemistry shorthand. Either way everyone seems in agreement that no-one except the newspapers ever calls it meow-meow.
It's like when they said everyone was calling ecstasy "disco biscuits" everyone I knew called it ecstasy.

I've got to say, pretty much the only thing this 'crisis' has me wondering is "what is Chris Morris up to these days?". Every time I hear some well spoken newsreader say '...otherwise known as meow-meow' I can't be the only one thinking of getting high on Cake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_Eye#Original_series_.281997.29
 
Last edited:
If that wasn't a rhetorical question Chris Morris has a new film out soon " Four Lions" about a group of football mad, bungling suicide bombers. I'd imagine knowing him it might be a bit controversial.

The whole palaver could still turn out to be one giant Brass Eye hoax yet. Come to think of it I've never seen any being sold or heard of anyone I actually know taking it...
 
check out this forum:

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43273

it's a forum for more intellectually minded drug users.

by the way, when they say "SWIM" they mean "someone who isn't me," it's a way to not self incriminate

When they say "morish" or "moreish" it means that when you're on the drug, the craving for more is very pronounced.

looks like it has mixed reviews. some say it's a great euphoria, some say it's overblown and doesn't do much, some say they've had really bad experiences on it.

Personally, it's too new a drug and there's not enough information about on it. I wouldn't try it without knowing more about it and having seeing it around more for awhile. But as for the story in the post, I would take it as being very overblown (though certainly I agree that teens shouldn't be doing it).

Usually when you hear these horror stories, they're the worst case scenarios but not the typical scenarios. Take ecstacy. The articles about E were almost identical to this above one: oh, it's the worst thing ever, it will ruin your life, you'll be addicted. Look at these kids who have died or turned into drug fiends. Blah blah blah. Well I used to be really big in the club scene in college, and pretty much everyone did E, and yeah there were a couple kids who got addicted and wrecked their lives, but the vast vast majority managed to do it recreationally and not have any problem. (just like with that legal drug alcohol)

But then sometimes you get drugs like meth or oxycontin, that really ARE as bad as the government says they are

That's the problem with governments like the US. They treat all drugs with the same fatalism and lie about the ones that aren't actually a big deal, and then you don't know when they're actually telling the truth about one that really IS wicked dangerous.

Excellent post, SC.

UK newspapers are rubbish. The hacks who write this nonsense are not experts in the area. Next week they'll be writing about gay single fathers. And they are certainly not there to inform people.

Important stories are buried, or even censored. All that is left is hyperbol.


(The gay single father comment wasn't meaningless. I worked in the London media for 10 years and have seen manipulation close up. For example - human interest stories are cheaper when you make then up. One day I was at my desk, minding my own business, when one of the photographers asked if they could take my picture for an article.

"What's it about?"
"It's called "My Life as a Gay Single Father"

I said no, mainly because I didn't want to have to explain to my family ("We didn't even know you were gay! And why didn't you tell us you had a son?") that nearly everything you read isn't true. It is cheaper to make stuff up than to do reporting. Bottom line is always the cash. That's why the Y2K rubbish happened - tech advertisers loved it))
 

One of those street names shows the clear link between Meow Meow and violence. Frankly I'm shocked.

On the plus side at least it seems that we can stop worrying about binge drinking now.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom