Primus
Graduate Poster
- Joined
- Dec 9, 2007
- Messages
- 1,191
Has anyone else noticed the recent escalation of media hysteria regarding mephadrone.
What started as kids snorting plant food and calling it Meow Meow now seems to have escalated into a full on Reefer Madness style panic.
After about two weeks of non stop coverage I can't help feeling that newspapers are completely abandoning proper research in order to be able to jump on the bandwagon.
Apparently huge numbers of vulnerable children are stuffing it up their nose with gleeful abandon however for some reason this hasn't been translated into any significant deaths/illness.
There has been four deaths I have seem reported. Two of which had drunk large numbers of alcohol and taken methadone and also taken "some mephadrone", the other two were reported as mephadrone deaths as their teenage friends say they took it. I can't imagine if any of these turn out to have different cause of deaths they will print a correction.
I have also read some real life accounts that read an awful lot like a journalist putting words in teenagers mouths.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/mar/25/drugs-mephedrone-rapid-reaction
Even if you think drugs are evil surely this level of sensationalist reporting is irresponsible.
Why can't even 1 major UK paper grow some vertebrae and actually report the facts or failing that just save themselves some time and reprint their early 90's ecstasy articles.
What started as kids snorting plant food and calling it Meow Meow now seems to have escalated into a full on Reefer Madness style panic.
After about two weeks of non stop coverage I can't help feeling that newspapers are completely abandoning proper research in order to be able to jump on the bandwagon.
Apparently huge numbers of vulnerable children are stuffing it up their nose with gleeful abandon however for some reason this hasn't been translated into any significant deaths/illness.
There has been four deaths I have seem reported. Two of which had drunk large numbers of alcohol and taken methadone and also taken "some mephadrone", the other two were reported as mephadrone deaths as their teenage friends say they took it. I can't imagine if any of these turn out to have different cause of deaths they will print a correction.
I have also read some real life accounts that read an awful lot like a journalist putting words in teenagers mouths.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/mar/25/drugs-mephedrone-rapid-reaction
Even if you think drugs are evil surely this level of sensationalist reporting is irresponsible.
Why can't even 1 major UK paper grow some vertebrae and actually report the facts or failing that just save themselves some time and reprint their early 90's ecstasy articles.