• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Man Shot Dead at Gun Show.

Maybe I'm alone in thinking this, but I'm of the opinion that there shouldn't be a single bullet or shell on the premises during a gun show.

Get your anti-gun stance the heck outta here mister! What the heck do you know about gun shows anyway! :p
 
Apparently, we have discovered that people do not die when they are killed.
 
Maybe I'm alone in thinking this, but I'm of the opinion that there shouldn't be a single bullet or shell on the premises during a gun show.


Other than the occasional spare magazine, ammo is the only thing I buy at gun shows.
 
The gun should never have been pointed at anybody's chest. Period.

Examining a gun you have not just unloaded yourself, it should be pointed only at the ceiling or the floor. And even if you have cleared the magazine and breech its best to point it away from yourself because its possible to get distracted and think you have performed a check you omitted.

I was always taught that every gun is loaded.
 
The gun should never have been pointed at anybody's chest. Period.

Examining a gun you have not just unloaded yourself, it should be pointed only at the ceiling or the floor. And even if you have cleared the magazine and breech its best to point it away from yourself because its possible to get distracted and think you have performed a check you omitted.

I was always taught that every gun is loaded.
I always teach to "assume the gun can load itself when you're not looking"
Yeah, its woo, but it'll save your ass someday...
 
I always teach to "assume the gun can load itself when you're not looking"
Yeah, its woo, but it'll save your ass someday...

My late father told me that once in the Air Force he got distracted and thought that a weapon he was working on was unloaded and it still had one chambered round. He noticed this before anything bad happened, but as this was a large caliber weapon, something bad could have happened.
 
The gun should never have been pointed at anybody's chest. Period.

Examining a gun you have not just unloaded yourself, it should be pointed only at the ceiling or the floor. And even if you have cleared the magazine and breech its best to point it away from yourself because its possible to get distracted and think you have performed a check you omitted.

I was always taught that every gun is loaded.
That's the problem with these shows - so many uninitiated people there. You are really dependent on the vendors keeping control of the battery status of their guns, because you are going to be sweeped by a lot of clueless people. It stands to reason a significant minority at the show will have never handled a gun before. Reports by somebody who claims to be standing at the table at the time say that the kid that pulled the trigger exclaimed "I didn't know it was loaded!" That pretty much illustrates the ignorance. I can imagine making a mistake, but my exclamation would be more along the lines "I *********** forgot to check that it was unloaded!!"

When wunky and I walked out of the show (before the shooting, mind you), we both agreed that we wouldn't be back. To be fair, our largest complaint was the feeling that it was a vietnam vet meetup. The tables with tags like "are you ready for the coming Armageddon" didn't help.

The vendor I bought my pistol from a few weeks ago keeps a cable running through all the pistols, chaining them all together. No way to put the gun in battery even if you removed the zip tie (which were also there due to show rules). I think they will be getting my business in the future - even if their main reason for that happens to be theft prevention rather than safety.
 
Irony is a harsh mistress.



Apparently, this would be fine if being able to read above a sixth grade level were a requirement for entry into gun shows. After all, responsible owners and dealers don't ignore rules, do they?

The gun shows (all of them) I have been to carefully funnel everyone to a table where guns and things that might hide guns are rather thoroughly checked and the guns are locked (heavy plastic strap/zip where nothing could make contact with a cartridge to fire a bullet). Whether they read it or not, the guns don't go in fireable.
 
Hmm. So you shoot someone in the chest and they don't die? Did anyone mention the gun type? Appears not to be doing it's job.

Used this before - but - in the mid-60's a couple who were frequently in the papers (Nashville Tennesseean and the Nashville Banner (still around then))over political and criminal difficulties were going through a domesstic rough patch and the wife put 5 rds of.357 magnum in the husband's torso. He was hospitalized but survive quite nicely. I believe, but am not certain, that the marriage also did.:)
 
Other than the occasional spare magazine, ammo is the only thing I buy at gun shows.
.
Walking into a gun show with ammo, or picking some up at one supplier and going to another offering a firearm that fits...
How hard is that?
I did get some real Italian issue ammo for my 1938 Carcano at the last gun show I went to. :)
Both calibers.
 
My late father told me that once in the Air Force he got distracted and thought that a weapon he was working on was unloaded and it still had one chambered round. He noticed this before anything bad happened, but as this was a large caliber weapon, something bad could have happened.
.
That's why many military police offices have that bucket of sand at the door.
A final "clearing" check point. :)
 
It has happened! A DEA agent was giving a gun safety demonstration to a class of high-school students. After declaring that he was the only one in the room trained to handle a firearm, he promptly shot himself in the leg. The video is on YouTube.
.
The Dallas PD officer that arrested Lee Harvey Oswald in the movie theater grabbed the revolver's cylinder that Oswald pulled, to prevent it firing.
When demonstrating that some years later to a media person, he shot the media person!
:)
Every weapon I see within my reach is considered loaded unless I personally clear it!
 
When wunky and I walked out of the show (before the shooting, mind you), we both agreed that we wouldn't be back. To be fair, our largest complaint was the feeling that it was a vietnam vet meetup. The tables with tags like "are you ready for the coming Armageddon" didn't help.

I've not seen as many tables along those lines as I used to at shows here in California. You used to have a number of tables selling the extreme right wing shirts and bumper stickers, and tables selling books such as The Turner Diaries, but not any more. I don't know what sparked the change.
 
I've not seen as many tables along those lines as I used to at shows here in California. You used to have a number of tables selling the extreme right wing shirts and bumper stickers, and tables selling books such as The Turner Diaries, but not any more. I don't know what sparked the change.
I don't know - we went to a smaller one a few weeks ago that didn't feel like this so much. But in both it was largely self defense pistols and AR-15s. Oh, and tactical shotguns. Good luck if you want a target pistol, hunting rifle, etc. Oh, they were there, just not very many. I assume vendors bring what sell. There's probably a lot more people in the Denver area looking to protect their homes than bag an elk.
 
.
Walking into a gun show with ammo, or picking some up at one supplier and going to another offering a firearm that fits...
How hard is that?
Trivial. I bought a pistol and a couple of boxes of ammo for it at the same table.
 
Oh, absolutely. In fact, even when I can tell people are carrying I tend to not care all that much. Cases like those in the OP tend to make those who are carrying look bad.

Really? One person (out of millions of people) making a mistake like that "makes those who carry[] look bad"? I guess Mary Kay Letourneau makes teachers look bad?

How about, the actions of the individuals in question make those individuals look bad?
 
deleted - no need to spread things from another forum that I haven't personally substantiated
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom