• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Congratulations to my fellow Democrats

I think that was one of the problems. Certainly there are many more that could be addressed, and I hope they will be. You can't solve all the problems at once. But universal coverage is a big, big deal. Ask the Europeans.
Too bad this bill won't result in universal coverage.

My time-stamped prediction? The percentage of uninsured Americans will be reduced by a third at most.
 
What's to stop someone from gaming the system by paying the $700 and not getting insurance until they come down with a serious illness, where they now can't be turned away?

They can't be turned away with the current system. Now, at least, they are paying 700 a year that they weren't.
;)
 
How would you ensure the health care of those who can't afford it?
I'd implement a plan very similar t what The Netherlands has.

The current bill will not "ensure the health care of those who can't afford it". In fact, most of those who can't afford it now still won't be able to afford it in 2014.

That's my time-stamped prediction.
 
Imagine if you will that health care reform is like peeling an onion. You start out at the outermost layer and peel down to the center. At first, skeptics might think you aren't doing enough. They'll say you are just shucking the dry husk off the onion. However, over time, you will reach the center and show them wrong.

The problem here is, congress missed the onion and is trying to peel a housecat. Much high fiving all around from those that can't tell the difference.
 
I'd implement a plan very similar t what The Netherlands has.

Me too. But this bill is a step towards that.

The current bill will not "ensure the health care of those who can't afford it". In fact, most of those who can't afford it now still won't be able to afford it in 2014.

That's my time-stamped prediction.

Noted. We'll see.
 
Problem: Cost is too high
Solution: Make it illegal for insurance companies to turn people away. Force everyone to buy insurance under penalty of fines.

There's a great deal more to it than that. Including the part about people who want insurance but couldn't get it, now can. That will reduce the cost of their health care. And there are exemptions for low-income families.

The savings due to this have been well documented and we have numerous examples from other countries of the benefits. Yes, it may cost you some taxes, especially if you are an above-median income earner, as I am. But I consider this an investment with much greater return than some of our government's recent expendatures, particularly military expenditures.

That, is not a great start. It doesn't even begin to really address the underlying issues in my opinion. They are treating the most tangential symptoms of the real problems that poll best. Insurance companies don't have a lot of fans.
No, they don't have a lot of fans. There may be a reason for that. Oddly, in England and other countries, insurance providers have lots of fans. Why do you suppose that is?
 
They can't be turned away with the current system. Now, at least, they are paying 700 a year that they weren't.
;)

Which would cover a 7% increase in a generic $10,000 insurance plan. How much will premiums go up if a lot of healthy people choose to pay the $700? If I'm an insurer, and I'm told I have to take anyone who walks through the door, and there won't be an influx of low-risk people coming into the pool, what can I do, other than raise premiums on existing members?
 
There best hope lies in staying in a 1st world country.

There is two ways to do this. They can refrain from moving to a undeveloped or developing country. Or they can keep the country they are in from economic collapse.

They could also move to any one of the other 1st world countries that have true universal Health Care. Unlike the USA, because americans are scared spitless of 'socialism'!
 
Well, for good or ill, it's done.

We'll see how it all works out. Personally, I feel that while it isn't perfect (no legislation ever is, imo) it's a good start and I'm hopeful that we're on the right path. Others may disagree, but there you have it.

G'night all.
 
Which would cover a 7% increase in a generic $10,000 insurance plan. How much will premiums go up if a lot of healthy people choose to pay the $700? If I'm an insurer, and I'm told I have to take anyone who walks through the door, and there won't be an influx of low-risk people coming into the pool, what can I do, other than raise premiums on existing members?

Increases in premiums have to be justified to the government. ;)
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom