• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

McCain Bill To Illegalize Steroids and Dietary Supplements

McCain helped pass DSHEA and now he wants to strike it down. Better late than never I suppose.

He never thought it would impact something important like professional sports. He thought it was something unimportant like public health.
 
McCain seeks to ban oregano. You heard it here first.

I remember hearing the line from It's A Wonderful Life when younger, "...bunch of garlic eaters! :mad: "

...and thinking, "What's wrong with garlic? I love garlic!"
 
I did a search on Bing for McCain and Oregano.
I got this:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Recipes/story?id=4384392

[John McCain's Ribs & Obama Family Chili]

It seems that McCain's family recipe calls for only:
Garlic, salt, pepper and Lemon.

Doesn't seem like McCain uses a lot of spices...hmm.

But then we see what Obama's recipe called for:
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
Several cloves of garlic, chopped
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground oregano
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon ground basil
1 tablespoon chili powder

It seems like we have a War on Flavor Brewing.

Maybe McCain is lashing back at obama by making it illegal to cook his Chili?


Garlic eater! I knew it! :mad:
 
INRM get's all worked up over nothing.


As shocking as gravity continuing to work.
 
I have to say that I'm impressed that posters here resisted temptation to look it up on Bing or wherever and post the link. I'm also sorry that my 4:20 joke was so bad.

And sadly I'm wondering how McCain is going to "illegalize" steroids, when they already fall under the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990 and 2004.
 
There is this bill that McCain is proposing that is basically to make steroid use in sports illegal, but it includes in it, pork,

I'm all for it! It's about time we banned pork-eating from professional sports!

ETA: And baseball in particular could clean up its image by going completely kosher. . . .
 
Last edited:
I think the Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2010 is the correct name of the bill. I know what it is basically designed for, but I'm wondering if it will have an effect of also illegalizing not just dietary supplements and vitamin supplements, but regular old herbs and spices, since some people believe in using herbs for medicinal purposes (I don't, but I don't mind having the right to season my chicken, duck, pork, etc).

INRM
 
I think the Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2010 is the correct name of the bill. I know what it is basically designed for, but I'm wondering if it will have an effect of also illegalizing not just dietary supplements and vitamin supplements, but regular old herbs and spices, since some people believe in using herbs for medicinal purposes (I don't, but I don't mind having the right to season my chicken, duck, pork, etc).

INRM

What language in the bill do you interpret that way?
 
I think the Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2010 is the correct name of the bill. I know what it is basically designed for, but I'm wondering if it will have an effect of also illegalizing not just dietary supplements and vitamin supplements, but regular old herbs and spices, since some people believe in using herbs for medicinal purposes (I don't, but I don't mind having the right to season my chicken, duck, pork, etc).

INRM

Wow. More than half a dozen people explained that you are interpreting the bill incorrectly and a link was actually provided and yet you are still wondering if herbs and spices will be outlawed. No one can be that stupid. You must be a troll. You are posting things you know are false with the intent of trying to provoke a reaction. I cannot imagine anything sadder than trolling an out of the way board like the JREF.
 
I for one wish to thank INRM for bringing this important issue to the forefront. I am now stockpiling several pounds of coriander and tarragon that will hopefully help me weather this crisis.
 
The bill is S3002. I found the text on Thomas and as far as I can make out it applies solely to items marketed as "dietary supplements"- which pretty much leaves out the contents of the spice aisle at the supermarket.

It also appears to be primarily concerned with regulating the facilities in which these products are manufactured (with a view to preventing contamination- that is, basic food safety concerns), with ensuring that ingredients are correctly listed and are known to be safe and with establishing a formal mechanism for reporting adverse effects, just in case something hazardous does find its way onto the market.

I can't see that it "illegalizes" anything.
 
The bill is S3002. I found the text on Thomas and as far as I can make out it applies solely to items marketed as "dietary supplements"- which pretty much leaves out the contents of the spice aisle at the supermarket.

It also appears to be primarily concerned with regulating the facilities in which these products are manufactured (with a view to preventing contamination- that is, basic food safety concerns), with ensuring that ingredients are correctly listed and are known to be safe and with establishing a formal mechanism for reporting adverse effects, just in case something hazardous does find its way onto the market.

I can't see that it "illegalizes" anything.
This is no thread for facts. Outrage! Bring outrage! The government wants my parsley!
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom