• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Forum birdwatching 2009

I have no added records by dasmiller, jasonpatterson, EHocking, davefoc, Fiona, sphenisc, N. Texas, Angus McPresley, Mercutio, Mr. Clingford, bruto and myself, that is ALL of them. Finally. I am sorry it took so long. I will now send the list to Eric, and then we can all blame him for all delays.

I will probably be going to London again this February, by the way, in case Eric or someone else wants to meet up.

I will now start on 2010's list, including Floyt's sightings.

Eric: I will send you 2009's list tonight. Would you add your Ecuadorean birds yourself?
Thanks for that. I'll finalise 2009 list today.

And yes, we'll be around in Feb.
 
Note: I am going by the illustrations in Roberts Birds of South Africa, which are delightfully useless, and then comparing these with actual googles pictures of the same species. These estimations may therefore be off the mark.

First... not a great pic, but it's what I have. Northern Kruger Park, late July (winter). A large duck or small goose, but with a beak like a steam shovel:

Perhaps the worst angle possible for female ducks, as you can't see any details of the wings. Nevertheless, if it is large, and the bill is shaped funnily, I would propose Cape Shoveler Anas capensis, but the beak in the picture does not really look like a Shoveler beak.

At the airport in Johannesburg (July), this little bird was on the sidewalk. I would not have thought twice about him except for this thread:

This is a female sparrow (genus Passer) of some sort. Two species seem relevant: House Sparrow Passer domesticus and Great Sparrow Passer iagoensis, but the females of the latter are more reddish brown, so I would go for female House Sparrow.

On Robben Island (just off Cape Town, for those not familiar), midwinter (late July). Actually, in the prison yard where Mandela used to be imprisoned. Again, a nondescript bird I only photographed because of this thread:

Very tricky... Stance suggests a thrush or "little thrush", and I first thought of Cape Thrush Turdus olivaceus, but that species does not have a dark throat. Ant-eating Chat Myrmecocichla formicivora? It seems similar, and the female would not have the white wing-patch of the male.

Not a great shot... this bird was in the rafters of a thatched building, northern Kruger Park, late July.

"That should be quite easy," I thought. "It's one of the many blue flycatchers of the world, so I should at least be able to get an estimate based on geography." Well. There are no blue flycatchers in South Africa, so I'll ahve to assume that the blueness is artificial, as the legs and log it's walking on are also blue. I do believe it is some sort of small thrush or flycatcher, though, so my guess would be one of the Cercomela species, possibly Sickle-winged Chat Cercomela sinuata.

Gorgeous little bird, sitting in the middle of the road (Kruger park, late July). Our guide went nuts about him, but I do not remember the name.

The shape and general plumage suggest either a Button-Quail or a Francolin, but it's hard to see what size it is. The surprised look is sort of indicative of a Button-Quail, and these are notoriously hard to spot, being very nocturnal, so I would understand if your guide was excited to see on. This could also explain why it didn't move, as I assume it would trust its camouflage to see it through the day, and believe you didn't see it.

There are, however, very few pictures to compare with on Google, but there are only two species in the area: the Small Button-Quail Turnix sylvatica and the Hottentot Button-Quail Turnix hottentotta.

Saw this bird a lot, eating bugs from the thatched roof. Could easily be an already ID'd bird, but not by me.

Wild guess: Puff-backed Shrike Dryoscopus cubla. It doesn't look like it in terms of shape and size, but the plumage is quite similar to a male of this species.

Saw this handsome bird a couple of places--this shot is from Johannesburg, but I saw one on Robben Island as well. July, natch. I am betting he is so common they did not even think of putting him in my guidebook.

Cape Wagtail Motacilla capensis, possibly subspecies capensis.

Lastly, a challenge: A pair of slightly out-of-focus yellowish birds in an acacia tree (Kruger park, July):

Another guess: Cuckoo Finch Anomalospiza imberbis. An alternative suggestion: Bully Seed-eater Crithagra sulphurata.
 
Kruger Park, Northern end.

It looks red-billed to me to, except for three things, which is why I asked the experts here. 1) We saw tons of yellow-billed, and as you can see, this guy is hanging out with them. 2) Our guides pointed out the yellow-billed, the ground hornbills, and even a crown hornbill (I did not get that shot), but I don't recall them mentioning a red-billed.
The distribution of both certainly overlap, but I am surprised that a guide would miss it (depends on the guides of course)
3) In my guide, the one shot of a red-billed has a slightly different connection of bill to head (whether more or less streamlined, I don't recall, and don't have the book with me at present). (ETA: looking at your link, I am much more comfortable with an ID of red-billed!)
One picture in one of the guidebooks I have has the base of the lower mandible fading to white. That certainly gives the impression of a "flat" juncture at the face (much like the photo in my previous link). I'd be very confident in this as a Red-billed.

Notes on Southern Yellow-billed Hornbill juv and fem:
"have the bill and casque notably smaller"
"has a smaler, dull yellowish bill mottled with dusky, upper breast streaked"

It did look most like red-billed to me, too, but I will happily defer to those more knowledgeable about such things. !
I don't think anyone would dispute it's a Red-billed. That's what I would have ID'd it as.
On the plus side, knowing that a few of you have the appropriate books means I can now upload that handful of other unidentified birds!
onward...

ETA: I see Kotatsu beat me to it.
 
Last edited:
Note: I am going by the illustrations in Roberts Birds of South Africa, which are delightfully useless, and then comparing these with actual googles pictures of the same species. These estimations may therefore be off the mark.
I'll see if I can add anything, based on your comments.
Perhaps the worst angle possible for female ducks, as you can't see any details of the wings. Nevertheless, if it is large, and the bill is shaped funnily, I would propose Cape Shoveler Anas capensis, but the beak in the picture does not really look like a Shoveler beak.
I may have another shot; I'll look. I think I tried looking it up, and thinking that the beak was not Shoveler in shape (but I may be thinking of another bird altogether).
This is a female sparrow (genus Passer) of some sort. Two species seem relevant: House Sparrow Passer domesticus and Great Sparrow Passer iagoensis, but the females of the latter are more reddish brown, so I would go for female House Sparrow.

Very tricky... Stance suggests a thrush or "little thrush", and I first thought of Cape Thrush Turdus olivaceus, but that species does not have a dark throat. Ant-eating Chat Myrmecocichla formicivora? It seems similar, and the female would not have the white wing-patch of the male.
I thought maybe the stance was important.
"That should be quite easy," I thought. "It's one of the many blue flycatchers of the world, so I should at least be able to get an estimate based on geography." Well. There are no blue flycatchers in South Africa, so I'll ahve to assume that the blueness is artificial, as the legs and log it's walking on are also blue. I do believe it is some sort of small thrush or flycatcher, though, so my guess would be one of the Cercomela species, possibly Sickle-winged Chat Cercomela sinuata.
May have another shot of this one as well, away from that particular lighting. I'll check.
The shape and general plumage suggest either a Button-Quail or a Francolin, but it's hard to see what size it is. The surprised look is sort of indicative of a Button-Quail, and these are notoriously hard to spot, being very nocturnal, so I would understand if your guide was excited to see on. This could also explain why it didn't move, as I assume it would trust its camouflage to see it through the day, and believe you didn't see it.

There are, however, very few pictures to compare with on Google, but there are only two species in the area: the Small Button-Quail Turnix sylvatica and the Hottentot Button-Quail Turnix hottentotta.
It was much smaller than the Francolins (which I saw all over), and the plumage was very different from the Francolins I saw in Kruger (not altogether unlike the ones I saw near Cape Town, though). I cropped a bit much to see size, I guess--I was trying for detail. You can compare him to the pebbles in the blacktop, though, and see he is quite small.
Wild guess: Puff-backed Shrike Dryoscopus cubla. It doesn't look like it in terms of shape and size, but the plumage is quite similar to a male of this species.
It was behaving much like the Fiscal Shrike, but I can't see the white bar, so it remained a mystery. I'll look for better shots. He was shy, though, and kept moving to the back of branches.
Cape Wagtail Motacilla capensis, possibly subspecies capensis.
Woohoo! It has been killing me that such a distinctive bird remained unidentified.
Another guess: Cuckoo Finch Anomalospiza imberbis. An alternative suggestion: Bully Seed-eater Crithagra sulphurata.
Thanks! Any others want to verify/suggest alternatives? (and I will look for other shots...)
 
The distribution of both certainly overlap, but I am surprised that a guide would miss it (depends on the guides of course).
The guides were excellent, but this was not primarily a birding trip, so it was a bit frustrating for the two of us who were actually interested in the birds as well as the megafauna. We'd zip by a tree with a black-headed snake-eagle (say), which the guide would ID on the run, and I'd get a shot of a branch obscuring a darkish blob. Or we'd see the hierarchy of vultures at a cheetah kill, far enough away that my longest lens was not quite enough.

And it is also quite possible that they did mention the red-bill, but that I am the one who is at fault for not listening.
 
I may have another shot; I'll look. I think I tried looking it up, and thinking that the beak was not Shoveler in shape (but I may be thinking of another bird altogether).

Could be African Black Duck Anas sparsa, which is also quite large, but the bill seems unremarkable -- like on any other duck.

It was much smaller than the Francolins (which I saw all over), and the plumage was very different from the Francolins I saw in Kruger (not altogether unlike the ones I saw near Cape Town, though). I cropped a bit much to see size, I guess--I was trying for detail. You can compare him to the pebbles in the blacktop, though, and see he is quite small.

Then I would guess Button-quail of some species. It doesn't match the colour of any of the birds on the plates in my book, though, and there are VERY few pictures of Button-quails on Google. If it is one, then this is a picture you should consider contributing with to some general bird homepage which stores pictures of birds, because they are only rarely seen.

It was behaving much like the Fiscal Shrike, but I can't see the white bar, so it remained a mystery. I'll look for better shots. He was shy, though, and kept moving to the back of branches.

The book says, "Found creeping quietly about in larger trees, often in pairs or family parties or together with other species in bird parties, in search of insects." Voice: "Chick-weeu, chick-weeu" repeated as many as ten times, sometimes with a weaker answering replica. Also a tearing "tsssssrrrrr" or harsh "chikerrr".
 
Could be African Black Duck Anas sparsa, which is also quite large, but the bill seems unremarkable -- like on any other duck.
Looks to me like it would need serious rhinoplasty before it could pass for an ABD.
Then I would guess Button-quail of some species. It doesn't match the colour of any of the birds on the plates in my book, though, and there are VERY few pictures of Button-quails on Google. If it is one, then this is a picture you should consider contributing with to some general bird homepage which stores pictures of birds, because they are only rarely seen.
How would one do that? I am more than willing to do so, but who would be interested?
The book says, "Found creeping quietly about in larger trees, often in pairs or family parties or together with other species in bird parties, in search of insects." Voice: "Chick-weeu, chick-weeu" repeated as many as ten times, sometimes with a weaker answering replica. Also a tearing "tsssssrrrrr" or harsh "chikerrr".
Heh. My memory is not that good; I have no recollection of voice. I do think the bird was alone, though. Definitely looking for insects in the thatched roof.
 
How would one do that? I am more than willing to do so, but who would be interested?

The best page I know of, because it aims to cover all birds of the world, is www.mangoverde.com, which has a contact mail address on the bird page for contributions. They do have some pictures of Buttonquails, and it seems their Small Buttonquail Turnix sylvatica actually has a similar plumage to the one in your pictures. There are probably better ones out there, but once I found this one, I sort of stopped looking, except for more country-specific pages.
 
Ok... how strange, that going back through my pics would be so fruitful.

First, another pic of the red-bill. Very clear ID, in retrospect:
4295821369_5a00e6d34e.jpg


And another [I think] positive ID, but a lousy shot, so I include it for falsification/verification. I have this as a Crested Francolin (my previous list had Natal Francolin and Cape Francolin, I think, but not this bird):
4296564482_0d3c520514.jpg


Now, the tricky/impossible one. Two shots, one out-of-focus and the other obscured by leaves. It appears to be a yellow bird with a white belly, but I suppose that could be an artifact of the pics. The out-of-focus gives an overall color scheme, whereas the obscured pic at least shows a decent look at the head/bill.
Out of focus:
4296565034_0ef614c9fd.jpg


and obscured:
4296565504_e70c250f8d.jpg


I did find another shot of the [tentatively identified] shrike, but my drive crashed while grabbing it, so that will have to wait a bit.
 
Galapagos list

Just to round off the year, here's my list from December.

There are a number of birds missing due to lack of field guide while in Ecuador, only about 5 or so though.

Quito | Ecuador ||
09/12/2009|Bubulcus ibis|Cattle Egret
|Zenaida auriculata|Eared Dove
|Columbina buckleyi|Ecuadorian Ground Dove
|Turdus serranus|Glossy-black Thrush
|Cathartes aura falklandicus|Turkey Vulture
| |
Mindo Cloud Forest, Ecuador | ||
10/12/2009|Agyrtria franciae|Andean Emerald
|Notiochehidon cyanoleuca|Blue-and-white Swallow
|Thraupis episcopus quaesita|Blue-gray Tanager
|Chlorostilbon mellisugus|Blue-tailed Emerald
|Ocreatus underwoodii|Booted Racket-tail
|Coeligena wilsoni|Brown Inca
|Coeligena torquata|Collared Inca
|Oreotrochilus chimborazo|Equadorian Hillstar
|Heliodoxa rubinoides|Fawn-breasted Brilliant
|Heliangelus strophianus|Gorgeted Sunangel
|Pterophanes cyanopterus|Great Sapphirewing
|Discosura conversii|Green Thorntail
|Heliodoxa jacula|Green-crowned Brilliant
|Thalurania fannyi|Green-crowned Woodnymph
|Ramphocelus icteronotus|Lemon-rumped Tanager
|Aglaiocercus kingi|Long-tailed Sylph
|Trogon personatus assimilis|Masked Trogon
|Heliodoxa gularis|Pink-throated Brilliant
|Urosticte benjamini|Purple-bibbed Whitetip
|Calliphlox mitchellii|Purple-throated Woodstar
|Zonotrichia capensis|Rufous-collared Sparrow
|Amazilia tzacatl|Rufous-tailed Hummingbird
|Basileuterus coronatus|Russet-crowned Warbler
|Eriocnemis luciani|Sapphire-vented Puffleg
|Molothrus bonariensis|Shiny Cowbird
|Adelomyia melanogenys|Speckled Hummingbird
|Phaethornis syrmatophorus|Tawny-bellied Hermit
|Cathartes aura falklandicus|Turkey Vulture
|Boissonneaua jardini|Velvet-purple Coronet
|Aglaiocercus coelestis|Violet-tailed Sylph
|Chlorostilbon melanorhynchus|Western Emerald
|Chaetocercus mulsant|White-bellied Woodstar
|Veniliornis dignus|Yellow-vented Woodpecker
11/12/2009|Coragyps atratus|Black Vulture
|Turdus fuscater|Great Thrush
|Anisognathus lacrymosus|Lacrimose Mountain-tanager
|Buteo magnirostris|Roadside Hawk
|Patagioenas subvinacea|Ruddy Pigeon
|Piranga olivacea|Scarlet Tanager
|Semnornis ramphastinus ramphastinus|Toucan Barbet
|Tachyphonus luctuosus|White-shouldered Tanager
|Diglossa albilatera|White-sided Flowerpiercer
| |
Quito to Baltra | Galapagos Islands ||
12/12/2009|Geospiza fortis|Medium Ground Finch
|Geospiza fuliginosa|Small Ground Finch
|Egretta thula|Snowy Egret
| |
Baltra to Bartoleme | Galapagos ||
13/12/2009|Oceanites gracilis galapagoensis|Eliot's Storm-petrel
|Puffinus subalaris|Galapagos Shearwater
|Creagrus furcatus|Swallow-tailed Gull
| |
Bartoleme | Galapagos ||
14/12/2009|Spheniscus mendiculus|Galapagos Penguin
|Ardea herodias cognata|Great Blue Heron
|Phoenicopterus ruber glyphorhynchus|Greater Flamingo
|Camarhynchus psittacula psittacula|Large Tree Finch
|Arenaria interpres|Ruddy Turnstone
|Calidris pusilla|Semipalmated Plover
|Geospiza fuliginosa|Small Ground Finch
|Camarhynchus parvulus parvulus|Small Tree Finch
|Crotophaga ani|Smooth-billed Ani
|Butorides striatus|Striated Heron
|Heteroscelus incanus|Wandering Tattler
|Numenius phaeopus|Whimbrel
|Dendroica petechia|Yellow Warbler
|Nycticorax violaceus pauper|Yellow-crowned Night Heron
| |
Rabida | Galapagos ||
14/12/2009|Haematopus palliatus|American Oystercatcher
|Himantopus mexicanus|Black-necked Stilt
|Sula nebouxii|Blue-footed Booby
|Pelecanus occidentalis urinator|Brown Pelican
|Geospiza scandens scandens|Cactus Finch
|Myiarchus magnirostris |Galapagos Flycatcher
|Butorides sundevalli |Galapagos Heron
|Ana bahamensis galapagoensis|Galapagos Pintail
|Fregata minor |Great Frigateblrd
|Larus fuliginosus |Lava Gull
|Fregata magnificens magnificens|Magnificent Frigatebird
|Nesominmus parvulus personatus|Mockingbird
|Calidris canutus |Sanderling
|Certhidia olivacea olivacea|Warbler Finch
|Camarhynchus pallidus pallidus|Woodpecker Finch
|Pterodroma phaepygia |Dark-rumped Petrel
|Pterodroma leucoptera |Gould's Petrel
|Sula granti |Nazca Booby
|Phaethon aethereus |Red-billed Tropicbird
|Puffinus griseus |Sooty Shearwater
|Oceanodroma tethys |Wedge-rumped Storm-petrel
| |
Isabela | Galapagos | |
15/12/2009|Sula nebouxii |Blue-footed Booby
|Anous stolidus galapagoensis|Common Noddy
|Oceanites gracilis galapagoensis|Eliot's Storm-petrel
|Phalacrocorax harrisi |Galapagos Cormorant
|Spheniscus mendiculus |Galapagos Penguin
|Phalaropus lobatus |Red-necked Phalarope
|Oceanodroma tethys |Wedge-rumped Storm-petrel
16/12/2009|Sula nebouxii |Blue-footed Booby
|Anous stolidus galapagoensis|Common Noddy
|Oceanites gracilis galapagoensis|Eliot's Storm-petrel
|Phalacrocorax harrisi |Galapagos Cormorant
|Myiarchus magnirostris |Galapagos Flycatcher
|Spheniscus mendiculus |Galapagos Penguin
|Puffinus subalaris |Galapagos Shearwater
|Camarhynchus psittacula affinis|Large Tree Finch
|Geospiza fortis |Medium Ground Finch
|Geospiza diffcilis debilirostris|Sharp-beaked Ground Finch
|Geospiza fuliginosa |Small Ground Finch
|Camarhynchus parvulus parvulus|Small Tree Finch
|Crotophaga ani |Smooth-billed Ani
|Camarynchus crassirostris |Vegetarian Finch
|Certhidia olivacea olivacea|Warbler Finch
|Camarhynchus pallidus produtus|Woodpecker Finch
| |
Fernadino | Galapagos | |
16/12/2009|Oceanites gracilis galapagoensis|Eliot's Storm-petrel
|Puffinus subalaris |Galapagos Shearwater
|Phalaropus lobatus |Red-necked Phalarope
|Oceanodroma tethys |Wedge-rumped Storm-petrel
| |Bryde's whale
| |Killer whale
|Sula granti |Nazca Booby
|Larus pipixcan |Franklin's Gull
|Geospiza diffcilis debilirostris|Sharp-beaked Ground Finch
|Certhidia olivacea olivacea|Warbler Finch
| |
Santa Cruz| Galapagos | |
17/12/2009|Tyto punctissima |Barn Owl
|Sula nebouxii |Blue-footed Booby
|Geospiza scandens intermedia|Cactus Finch
|Coccyzus melacoryphus |Dark-billed Cuckoo
|Fregata minor |Great Frigateblrd
|Camarhynchus psittacula psittacula|Large Tree Finch
|Fregata magnificens magnificens|Magnificent Frigatebird
|Geospiza fortis |Medium Ground Finch
|Nesominmus parvulus parvulus|Mockingbird
|Geospiza fuliginosa |Small Ground Finch
|Camarhynchus parvulus parvulus|Small Tree Finch
|Crotophaga ani |Smooth-billed Ani
|Pyrocephalus rubinus |Vermillion Flycatcher
|Certhidia olivacea olivacea|Warbler Finch
|Numenius phaeopus |Whimbrel
|Camarhynchus pallidus pallidus|Woodpecker Finch
| |
Espanola | Galapagos | |
18/12/2009|Haematopus palliatus |American Oystercatcher
|Sula nebouxii |Blue-footed Booby
|Anous stolidus galapagoensis|Common Noddy
|Oceanites gracilis galapagoensis|Eliot's Storm-petrel
|Zenaida galapogoensis |Galapagos Dove
|Buteo galapagoensis |Galapagos Hawk
|Puffinus subalaris |Galapagos Shearwater
|Fregata minor |Great Frigateblrd
|Nesominmus macdonaldi |Hood Mockingbird
|Geospiza conirostris conirostris|Large Cactus Finch
|Larus fuliginosus |Lava Gull
|Fregata magnificens magnificens|Magnificent Frigatebird
|Geospiza fortis |Medium Ground Finch
|Sula granti |Nazca Booby
|Phaethon aethereus |Red-billed Tropicbird
|Geospiza fuliginosa |Small Ground Finch
|Creagrus furcatus |Swallow-tailed Gull
|Certhidia olivacea cinerascens|Warbler Finch
|Diamedea irrorata|Waved Albatross
Baltra | Galapagos ||
19/12/2009|Geospiza fuliginosa|Small Ground Finch
||
Guyaquil | Ecuador ||
21/12/2009|Furnarius leucopus|Pale-legged Hornero
 
2009 Thread Statistics

While I still need my Ecuador list checked, here's the end result for this thread:

2009 Totals |
Total Individual Sightings|2028
Number of Forum Contributors|47
Order Count|27
Family Count|124
Species Count (including subsepcies)|826
Subspecies Count|48

Web pages to be updated (as promised on 2010 thread).
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom