Sorry, I missed this reply. FYI, I'll skip the irrelevant stuff and cut to the chase:
Yes I would say that some form of "matter" is necessary to explain the lensing data. That does not mean it is made of an exotic type of matter.
On its own it doesn't mean much. But backed up by a a century of progress in physics the inevitable conclusion (if we're preserving our law of gravity) its that the matter MUST be exotic.
I won't debate the state of particle physics technologies of science with you, since even I find them to be "advanced", but how exactly do you define a level of space technology that is incapable of picking out individual stars in distant galaxies if not "primitive"?
Why would I define it as primitive? Our space telescopes contain some of the most precise and hi-tech technology man has ever created!
I don't believe you can accurately do that. There is dust in distant galaxies that blocks light from distant objects. We aren't even sure how much dust is out there in space or how much light is absorbed by that dust.
We know that most stars are in the bulges and the disks of galaxies. We know this is completely inconsistent with what is observed from rotation curves. You can stuff as much dust in there as you want, you're never going to rectify that situation.
You're taking "oversimplified models" and trying to apply them to everything you see in space.
No, I'm not. I'm using multiple observations to draw conclusions.
I see no evidence that this method you've come up with comes anywhere near the correct amount of mass in a galaxy and therefore it's time to come up with a better galaxy mass estimation technique.
What method are we talking about?
No amount of you talking nonsense is going to stop the fact that the visible mass distribution and that derived from rotation curves are completely different.
Great. Demonstrate these nifty things in a lab,
I'd love to. I'd probably get a Nobel.
demonstrate their *actual physical properties* and then I'll be happy to let you point at the sky and claim SUSY stuff did it.
Their properties are those derived from the theory. If they don't have properties consistent with the theory they're not SUSY particles.
Until I can see these so called "properties" work on real things in a real lab, in real controlled experiments, I really have no evidence they exist. The fact that standard particle physics theory has "unanswered questions" does not mean SUSY particles get to be instantly stuffed into those gaps.
I never said it did. Its just the simplest, most elegant solution which (possibly) could solve another unanswered question in physics.
SUSY particles did not show up in such experiments.
They have not shown up yet. So what? They may exist. They may not. But there non-existence wouldn't mean dark matter is not exotic. It would mean it is not SUSY particle. The incontrevertible evidence for DM will not go away.
You mean you can't account for distant mass, but you could make a giant leap of faith and stuff the gaps of our ignorance of space with such particles, is that it?
No. You couldn't much further off in fact. If we accept GR then the evidence DM is way way way beyond compelling. We can observe its effect in the Milky Way or Andromeda. Its not that we can't account for distant mass. We can't account for the mass distribution in our own galaxy or our nearest neighbour.
The evidence for SUSY bares no relation to the evidence for DM. That the existence of one could be the solution to the other may be complete coincidence (I've already clearly stated this), or it may not. We don't know. I'm not trying to stuff any gaps.
I don't know. I haven't seen any SUSY particle show up in a lab. I've never seen any actual 'properties' demonstrated in real life. I simply have to have "faith" in what you "think" they will probably do based on what we have never seen in a real experiment?
No. What they think they will do based on what we HAVE seen in experiment. Most of the properties of SUSY particles, if they exist, are already known. Just like most of the properties of neutrinos and the top quark were already known before they're discovery.
In the sense that it is possible that collider experiments might one day demonstrate such things do exist, sure it's a 'statistical probability' even based upon pure empirical physics.
Its nothing to do with statistics. They either exist or they don't. We could assign odds to whether we think they exist or not (eg what odds we'd be prepared to wager at) but their actual existence or otherwise is not a matter of probability.
On the other hand, it could just be that you're letting your "faith in the unseen" get the better of you.
Its very much not my faith in the unseen. I've measured rotation curves for myself. I've seen visible matter distributions of galaxies with my own eyes. They're completely different.
I know something heats those coronal loops to millions of degrees and it sure as hell isn't "dark energy" or "dark matter". If you can't account for even those electrons, what faith should I have that you can find electrons in distant objects outside of our solar system?
What are you talking about?
All the measurementsl agree that there is more mass in a galaxy than your galaxy mass estimates come up with. Don't you think it's time to toss your galaxy mass estimates out the window?
All the measurements agree that the total mass
distribution is completely different to the visible mass
distribution given our law of gravity. No amount of dust or rocks or electrons is ever going to correct this.
The idea you can't distinguish between 'missing mass' and "non baryonic matter" is simply astonishing to me as well. The only thing that these measurements demonstrate is that your galaxy mass estimates of the amount of normal mass in a galaxy aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Period.
Wrong, wrong and wrong. These measurements unequivocally demonstrate that the total mass
distribution is completely different to the visible mass
distribution given our law of gravity. No amount of dust or rocks or electrons is ever going to correct this.