• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread Michael Mozina's thread on Dark Matter, Inflation and Cosmology

MM:

So what do you think we are all missing here? When Guth published his theories, they had the same chance of acceptance as Alfven when he published his.

Actually Alfven's MHD theories were in fact accepted and he was given a Nobel Prize for this work. It was his application of that theory to objects in space that was *not* accepted.

Professional jealousy simply doesn't cut it; is that the best you can do?

How about pure ignorance then? Few if any of the astronomers I've met online have even bothered to read Cosmic Plasma where he actually applies MHD theory to objects in space. Professional jealousy does explain why his cosmology work is continually overlooked, and constantly ignored. The best the mainstream seems to be able to do with MHD theory in space is peddle a theory that Alfven himself rejected outright. They wouldn't recognize a "circuit" in space if it electrocuted them. :)

What dark motive, twisted thinking, convoluted conspiracy have the astronomers, astrophysicists and cosmologists of the world been engaged in?

It's called "inflation", "DARK energy" and "DARK matter". :) Do you really think someone who's professionally invested themselves in "dark energy" and/or inflation for 20 years is simply going to "give up" on the ideas and try something new? I'd guess that the "dark motive" is driven by ego.
 
Last edited:
No, I really can't call them whatever I want.

In the field of astronomy you can. They refer to induction and circuit topology changes as "magnetic reconnection". Astronomers make absolutely no attempt whatsoever to be consistent with other branches of science.

What's real? Are we talking about photons, virtual photons, or EM forces?

Take your pick. The EM field shows up in the lab. Anyone and everyone can replicate any experiment we might come up with.

Never mind, we're getting to a point where we are repeating ourselves. You apparently deny the analog.

That's because your analogy is flawed. Whereas the EM field shows up in an ordinary experiment, inflation is dead. Where would I even go to get a few watts of "dark energy"? It's irrational IMO to compare a known and demonstrated force of nature to one that is a complete no show in the lab. Such a comparison only serves to highlight and emphasize the difference between metaphysical claims and real empirical physics.
 
Last edited:
Them's the breaks! Science evolves.

In this particular case it "evolved" into 96% metaphysical mythology.

I thought that you DID NOT want science to be dogmatic. Maybe scientists should be a little more dogmatic so they can keep those predictions nice and steady for you.

When a theory "fails" to match it's core "predictions" it is typical to suggest that the theory has been "falsified" and to look for a better theory. If all the mainstream does when their predictions fail is slap in *another* liberal dose of metaphysical mumbo-jumbo to "keep it alive", that is highly "dogmatic" and is a great example of letting emotional attachments get in the way of scientific progress.
 
MM:
I find cosmological theories fascinating. I personally long for an explanation for the origin of the universe, but for this layman, evidence appears to be somewhat thin for all theories. When the standard model brings us back to a singularity, my reaction is, "OK, then what?" As you have pointed out, so where is this inflationary field now? From Wikipedia, "At the end of inflation, a process called reheating occurs, in which the potential energy of the inflation field is converted into Standard Model particles, starting the radiation dominated phase of the Universe." How could we ever demonstrate that?
Similarly, where would Klein's primordial matter/antimatter mist come from? How could it ever be demonstrated?
All we currently have are our observations and models that have a reasonable fit to those observations. I don't like inflation any more than you do, but it's the best answer we currently have.
If Alfven's theories made any sense, the scientific community would pay attention. I have known too may scientists in my life who also passionately long for explanations; they are brilliant people who have a genuine lifelong mania to understand the origins of the universe. It is beyond far fetched that there could be a global mind block to Alfven's theories. I think you would be better served if you attempted to understand the basis for the virtually universal acceptance of the inflation model among the world's cosmologists and got a better handle on why EU theories do not fit observations. I know you have been given a considerable amount of information from many on these threads but refuse to even try to understand why the EU model is flawed.
Finally, don't you find it a bit troubling that Alfven's area was plasma physics -- not astrophysics or cosmology? I don't have a ax to grind here; I just find your adherence to this EU stuff peculiar and not very dissimilar to the blind acceptance of creationists.
 
I suppose you are welcome to call them whatever you like, but their effect is quite "real", very "physical" and will repeatedly have an effect on real things in real experiments with real control mechanisms. That's rather different than a mythical inflation field that is no longer in existence. Surely you must appreciate that physical difference.

Actually this is a very important point.

As mentioned the gauge boson photons (the "carriers" if you like of the electromagnetic force in particle physics) arise from a very sophisticated mathematical model which has been constructed to explain observations in the "lab" (or at least in particle accelerators and subsequent checks on cosmological and other constraints).

This is, in essence, the same sort of origin as this dark energy you so detest.

You cannot see, hold, detect, or have a bucket of these "force" carriers any more than you can go "dark energy" (at present).

In fact, we may go as far to say that some candidates for dark matter have a better experimental and "in your hand" basis than these gauge bosons (although the overwhelming majority of scientists have no trouble with gauge bosons "existing" in the sense of the standard model being a very good explanation of the current state of affairs).

I think this is quite key to this discussion.... this issue of what a single individual holds up as "having an experimental basis" and what "has only a mathematical ideology behind it".

In practice they go hand in hand (at least in particle physics and cosmology).

This "mythical" gauge boson "field" could be said to be pie in the sky, something that by its very definition you are not going to "grab hold of". And yet. And yet. And yet, as by your own admission, it does an outstanding job of explaining the properties of the electromagnetic force.

Why then can you not allow the same grace and favours to a "dark energy field" or similar?

Is it JUST because the area of electromagnetics has a 150 year head start on that of the areas in cosmology under discussion?

May I be so bold as to suggest you do not understand the specifics of the electromagnetic interaction as regards theories in particle physics? Because they are NOT just your average Coloumb's Law type things... they really are highly mathematical constructs that envisage an exchange of virtual particles, virtual in the sense that you CANNOT detect them... if you do then pretty much by definition they are not virtual.

I suspect this is a little outside your comfort zone as regards what should and shouldnt be a theory in physics, and I suspect it may be uncomfortable because it hits home at the very subject you hold so dearly, classical electromagnetism.
 
Last edited:
MM:
I find cosmological theories fascinating. I personally long for an explanation for the origin of the universe, but for this layman, evidence appears to be somewhat thin for all theories. When the standard model brings us back to a singularity, my reaction is, "OK, then what?"

It doesnt bring us back to a singularity, this is a common misunderstanding.

All that really happens is that we reach a point where our current knowledge about physics doesnt really help any more and we have to either give up and go home or a have a crack at working out something better.

It doesnt actually say "look, there was a singularity".

This is an important point which demonstrates a clear difference I think between science and religion... the acceptance that what we know and hold dearly may be so very wrong and the willingness to seek out that which contends and goes against all we hold dear.

Or perhaps the unwillingness to accept an answer such as that.



Finally, don't you find it a bit troubling that Alfven's area was plasma physics -- not astrophysics or cosmology? I don't have a ax to grind here; I just find your adherence to this EU stuff peculiar and not very dissimilar to the blind acceptance of creationists.

And may I mention kindly again, as have others, that plasma physics is the bread and butter of some astrophysicists ... they have learnt, understood and developed the field as a completely necessary part of their day to day to work and understand it, dare I say, better than Alfven in many respects.

I have the greatest of respect for some of Alfven's life and work, but I would not seriously contend that the field of plasma physics has not advanced in the last 60 odd years.
 
It doesnt bring us back to a singularity, this is a common misunderstanding.


From Wikipedia:
"Extrapolation of the expansion of the Universe backwards in time using general relativity yields an infinite density and temperature at a finite time in the past. This singularity signals the breakdown of general relativity."

LINK
 
From Wikipedia:
"Extrapolation of the expansion of the Universe backwards in time using general relativity yields an infinite density and temperature at a finite time in the past. This singularity signals the breakdown of general relativity."

LINK

The fact that a "singularity" sort of "exists" is an indication of the limitation of the model, not a serious representation of the physical state of the universe at the time.

Those are two different things that should be teased apart in my view, especially in a thread that compares science to religion.

As the sentence says it indicates a failure of the model, not a true singularity.

Just in the say way that if a multimeter connected to my car battery indicated an infinite pd, my first instinct would not be "wow what could possibly have caused an infinite pd" but rather it would be to bash the multimeter a few times on the car with the view that it was faulty.
 
MM:
I find cosmological theories fascinating. I personally long for an explanation for the origin of the universe, but for this layman, evidence appears to be somewhat thin for all theories. When the standard model brings us back to a singularity, my reaction is, "OK, then what?" As you have pointed out, so where is this inflationary field now? From Wikipedia, "At the end of inflation, a process called reheating occurs, in which the potential energy of the inflation field is converted into Standard Model particles, starting the radiation dominated phase of the Universe." How could we ever demonstrate that?
Similarly, where would Klein's primordial matter/antimatter mist come from? How could it ever be demonstrated?

As you know, it can't.

I believe you overlooked one very important difference however. Klein's model requires no 'new' forms of mass or energy. Matter and antimatter do actually exist in nature today. From an Occum's razor perspective, his theory "beats" any theory that requires the introduction of a new and "hypothetical" form of matter or energy. Klein's "bang" requires no "'singularity" to have ever existed.

All we currently have are our observations and models that have a reasonable fit to those observations. I don't like inflation any more than you do, but it's the best answer we currently have.

In the end you and I only disagree on the concept of what is considered a "better" theory. The skeptic in me just can't call a theory that requires three hypothetical entities "better than" one that requires none at all. Even if Klein's model still needs a lot of work mathmatically, it's still way 'better than' anything IMO that introduces even *ONE* hypothetical form of energy/matter, and certainly any theory that requires two or more hypothetical forms of matter/energy just to make the math fit.

If Alfven's theories made any sense, the scientific community would pay attention.

They do and they don't. :) I've seen them in action now for years. Even when I bring them new papers that support Alfven's views on "circuits", they simply ignore them. Those last three papers for instance all used satellite data to confirm the presence of return current in coronal loop activity. Birkeland, Bruce and Alfven all PREDICTED that observation. Electrical discharges in the Earth's atmosphere release gamma and x-rays all the time, so why call it "magnetic reconnection" when we observe the same energy signatures from the sun's atmosphere? I'm sorry, I wish I believed you, but I've had too many conversations over the last few years to believe that way any longer. I *USED* to think that way, but I've been tarnished by the conversations over the years.

I have known too may scientists in my life who also passionately long for explanations; they are brilliant people who have a genuine lifelong mania to understand the origins of the universe. It is beyond far fetched that there could be a global mind block to Alfven's theories.

There isn't. I promote them. Many individuals who post here promote them as well. I've shown you papers by about a dozen different authors that all supported parts of Alfven's solar views. In no way can you call this a global conspiracy. There is simply a "mainstream' that is resistant to his idea and a "minority opinion" that continues to point out the importance of his work.

I think you would be better served if you attempted to understand the basis for the virtually universal acceptance of the inflation model among the world's cosmologists

And what do you figure I've been doing for the last 28 years or so since Guth first introduced the idea? The basic problem with inflation hasn't changed in all those years PS, it's always been plagued and always will be plagued by the fact inflation is dead. It was always an "imaginary" force that Guth "imagined" in his head. It will never show up in an empirical test of concept. It will never move a single atom so why should I believe it ever did? I even know who "made it up" PS. I can't ignore the skeptic in me that sees the whole thing as a dead deistic religion devoid of empirical support. All the math in the universe won't fix that lack of physical verification. The math gets modified all the time anyway. How many different forms of inflation are there anyway?

and got a better handle on why EU theories do not fit observations.

I've only been aware of EU theory myself for about 5-6 years and I've spend those years attempting to understand both the theory itself and the criticisms of that theory. I'm not quite as "well versed' on that idea as say 'inflation' that I've studied now for over 25+ years.

I can tell you this much however. Most mainstream scientists are just like I was 6 years ago, blissfully ignorant of the whole concept. The ones that do understand anything about it tend to know very little about it. Most of the loudest critics of PC/EU theory are usually the most willfully ignorant on the topic too.

I know you have been given a considerable amount of information from many on these threads but refuse to even try to understand why the EU model is flawed.

I understand why some here "percieve" there to be 'flaws' in the theory. I concede that it lacks mathematical qualification on some levels too. I understand it's limitations better than most, I simply accept them, just as you accept the fact you'll never be able to empirically demonstrate inflation. What's the worse flaw?

Finally, don't you find it a bit troubling that Alfven's area was plasma physics -- not astrophysics or cosmology?

No, not at all. He was the most qualified to explain to cosmologists that magnetic fields do not disconnect or reconnect to other magnetic fields. He understood the physics well. He understood both the B *AND* E field orientations of MHD theory. If anyone had the qualifications to apply MHD theory to objects in space, it was Alfven. Like it or not he *EARNED* those qualifications. Plasma is a part of cosmology and always will be.

I don't have a ax to grind here; I just find your adherence to this EU stuff peculiar and not very dissimilar to the blind acceptance of creationists.

I find that troubling frankly because I see things exactly the opposite. A YEC can *NEVER* physically demonstrate their claim. They always rely upon an "act of faith" to promote their beliefs. When push comes to shove and you ask for physical evidence, you get a song and dance faith based routine. Inflation has the same feel. "Dark energy did it' sounds just as unlikely to me as Goddidit. What's the empirical difference?

EU theory is pure empirical physics. Sure, it has limitations and it has "flaws", but it is and always will be a form of pure empirical physics. Anything that EU theory *CAN* figure out (like those circuit in coronal loop activity) should be considered and accepted. The mainstream refuses to do so.

Anything it can't explain is irrelevant from my perspective because "inflation" isn't a "real" explanation, nor is "dark energy" a "real" explanation. So what if EU theory doesn't compete with metaphysical make believe things?

Sooner or later the mainstream is going to have to accept some or most EU tenets and theories because we live inside an electric universe. They can't hide from reality forever.
 
Last edited:
It doesnt bring us back to a singularity, this is a common misunderstanding.

All that really happens is that we reach a point where our current knowledge about physics doesnt really help any more and we have to either give up and go home or a have a crack at working out something better.

It doesnt actually say "look, there was a singularity".

This is an important point which demonstrates a clear difference I think between science and religion... the acceptance that what we know and hold dearly may be so very wrong and the willingness to seek out that which contends and goes against all we hold dear.

Except for the one empirical theory that could one day overturn your dogma. The motto of the mainstream seems to be "anything but electricity". EU theory is the "forbidden topic" of your industry. Let's see you come up with even one electrically (E field) oriented paper published in the APJ in the 21st century. Your industry does not seek out alternative ideas.
 
Last edited:
In this particular case it "evolved" into 96% metaphysical mythology.



When a theory "fails" to match it's core "predictions" it is typical to suggest that the theory has been "falsified" and to look for a better theory. If all the mainstream does when their predictions fail is slap in *another* liberal dose of metaphysical mumbo-jumbo to "keep it alive", that is highly "dogmatic" and is a great example of letting emotional attachments get in the way of scientific progress.

You're still denying (or are completely unaware of) the historical narrative of science in which scientists do sometimes make metaphysical-like assertions so that they may work in areas where empirical science is not available yet. The amazing thing is that it works (sometimes).

I'm reminded again of the lumeniferous aether. You could say that the aether was a metaphysical assertion for a long time until we were certain that light-speed was finite. If light-speed was infinite then there never would have been a conceivable way to scientifically study aether. It also wasn't really possible to study the aether until the invention of the interferometer.

So, it turned out that it was wrong. A famous theoretical physicist named Lorentz made the suggestion, after the michelson-morley experiment, that objects must contract in the direction of our motion so that we always measure the same speed of light. There was absolutely no way to test that idea because it is not a full fledged theory of relativity. We have to conclude that this was a metaphysical assertion. Lorentz wasn't ready to give up on the aether theory. In fact, Lorentz still wasn't ready to completely give up on it after Einstein introduced a more robust theory of relativity. Lorentz was still partly correct. Crazy huh?

Einstein used the contraction idea with Lorentz's math mumbo-jumbo then expanded on it. It panned out as you well know.

If science operated the way you want it to, MM, then we should have chopped this line of inquiry off when it was first claimed that a luminiferous aether exists.
 
Last edited:
Again, show me where a religious faith has established tenets that can be falsified by experiment or observation, and which if falsified would overthrow those tenets in favor of new ones.

Define for me what tests I can make on the doctrine of transubstantiation that would prove or disprove it?

Is there a test for Original Sin?

Can you produce for me even ONE miracle under controlled conditions?

Why are you talking about religion in the Magnetic Reconnection Forum?
 
You're still denying (or are completely unaware of) the historical narrative of science in which scientists do sometimes make metaphysical-like assertions so that they may work in areas where empirical science is not available yet. The amazing thing is that it works (sometimes).

I respectfully suggest that you're missing a key difference here. Sometimes it works, particularly when it 'springs forth' from empirical science. The neutrinos is an excellent such example. We discovered via empirical experimentation that A) something was missing or B) the "laws" of empirical physics were being violated. Now it's true, the neutrino may not have existed, but the implications of falsifying a law *REQUIRED* us to at least consider A as a valid empirical possibility. Note here that we *KNEW THEIR SOURCE* from empirical experimentation so we could construct physical devices to look for them. We could create standard "control mechanisms" and turn off the presumed source and notice the effect on our "experiments". That's a "good' use of empirical physics, and there was a time when neutrinos could not be empirically verified.

Compare that however to "dark matter' or "dark energy". Where do they come from? Where do I get a gram of "dark matter" to play with in a lab? Where do I get a kilowatt of dark energy? How might I construct a physical experiment to test for either of them?

Let's compare that neutrino now with "inflation", shall we? What law of physics is violated in their absence? What effect might they have today in a physical experiment? What *other* scientific theory besides your one creation mythos requires them?
 
Last edited:
Except for the one empirical theory that could one day overturn your dogma. The motto of the mainstream seems to be "anything but electricity". EU theory is the "forbidden topic" of your industry. Let's see you come up with even one electrically (E field) oriented paper published in the APJ in the 21st century. Your industry does not seek out alternative ideas.

Dogma?

So you challenge General Relativity and Special Relativity and pretty much the whole of modern physics in preference to the single EU theory?

I fail to see where the EU theory has a bearing on general relativity...

My point was a misunderstanding about what the limitations of the mathematical model mean... it has nothing to do with the specifics of the theory itself, be that EU or GR.

As for "E Field Orientated" I believe others have tried to explain that it is convenient for most scientists to look at the B field as from that you can easily derive what you need to know about the E field. You need to stop looking at them as separate entities, take on board what Maxwell explained to his, and treat them as two sides of the same coin.

It is like challenging the whole of the gravitational field theories saying "but where do they measure inertia? where... all they talk about is mass or momentum".

Given a certain 'definition' of inertia the concepts are interchangeable.
 
Actually Alfven's MHD theories were in fact accepted and he was given a Nobel Prize for this work. It was his application of that theory to objects in space that was *not* accepted.



How about pure ignorance then? Few if any of the astronomers I've met online have even bothered to read Cosmic Plasma where he actually applies MHD theory to objects in space. Professional jealousy does explain why his cosmology work is continually overlooked, and constantly ignored. The best the mainstream seems to be able to do with MHD theory in space is peddle a theory that Alfven himself rejected outright. They wouldn't recognize a "circuit" in space if it electrocuted them. :)



It's called "inflation", "DARK energy" and "DARK matter". :) Do you really think someone who's professionally invested themselves in "dark energy" and/or inflation for 20 years is simply going to "give up" on the ideas and try something new? I'd guess that the "dark motive" is driven by ego.

New scientific theories often meet resistance. Sometimes, it has taken the passing of a generation for new theories to gain traction. Now, Alfven's stuff has been around for some time (at least twenty years) with no discernible trend for acceptance. How do you account for that?
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom