BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left
The only verifiable and repeatable "miracles" come from science.
Religion has never produced even one.
Religion has never produced even one.
Well this post demonstrates a lack of understanding that the reason scientist hypothesize dark matter exists is because of EVIDENCE it does. Just as we can see Xrays with instruments but not with our eyes, we can see dark matter with tools that visualize gravity.You mean besides inflation, dark energy and mythical forms of matter?![]()
I take it you are going here for the quote by Stephen Roberts, "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."Turn it back on them: their belief in a monotheistic deity is simply a form of atheism.
Science is different from religion because it cannot provide answers to ethical questions, whereas religion can.
Science is different from religion because it cannot provide answers to ethical questions, whereas religion can.
You can't construct a reasonable argument against some poeple because they can't understand reason. There comes a time when you just have to back away from some people. Like Arthur C Clark said "I'll discuss the weather with some people but I won't discuss evolution". The same can be said about any scientific discipline. Just go to the flat earth website and see for yourself.I have often heard this "argument" that science is something that we just chose to believe; and it's just as much of a faith as religion. I'm sure you've heard it too. How do you deal with it? I get so annoyed at that "argument" that I usually get rude and sarcastic. But I wanted to know how I can counter that without being sarcastic. How can I construct a reasoned argument against that? Should I start from how axioms in maths and science are self-evident truths and belief in them is not even remotely close to belief in a religion.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Religion only claims it can provide answers to ethical questions.
Dave
I would object to that claim. The track record of religion in this regard is horrendously bad and science3 at least informs a rational decision making process where ethics are concerned.
Sorry for the derail but...You mean besides inflation, dark energy and mythical forms of matter?![]()
Cool, do you have a citation?Well there is some evidence for some minor chanages at exteme distances but thats not my point.
You have to have theory first, you can do observational testing, as many have done, say to establish atomic masses.Pure experimentalism is flawed because:
It doesn't provide you with any guide about what experiments to do (until you have a theory that the laws of physics are universal there is no point in looking at distant gas clouds to see if they have exactly the same set of constants as we do).
It doesn't describe the way scientists actualy work (scientists tend to form theories then test them).
I disagree, sure you can and people do.It doesn't allow you challange experimental results.
For example there was a test for benzene that was fully reproduceable. Problem was that it was actualy testing for a contaminat and every known sample of benzene was contaminated.
Questionable. Without haveing faith in a objective shared reality science is pretty pointless. I would argue that there is good reason to think that such a thing exists but fundimentaly it's an act of faith that it does.
Well this post demonstrates a lack of understanding that the reason scientist hypothesize dark matter exists is because of EVIDENCE it does. Just as we can see Xrays with instruments but not with our eyes, we can see dark matter with tools that visualize gravity.
You need a bit more education about the things you seem to think equate to faith based scientific conclusions. They do not equate.
Cool, do you have a citation?
Re: OP
Science make planes fly.
I disagree if the scientific method did not work then you could not replicate experiements. It is not a matter of faith, you can preform the experiments your self.
There is good reason to beleieve the laws of physics are universal, there is no faith in that. It is demonstrable. You can demonstrate that a model accurately reflects the behavior of reality.
Planets do follow Kepler's laws of motion. Then you can add relativity.
No engineering makes planes fly.
Questionable. Without haveing faith in a objective shared reality science is pretty pointless. I would argue that there is good reason to think that such a thing exists but fundimentaly it's an act of faith that it does.