What's irrational is assuming hatred everytime someone states an opinion on her abilities or motivations. Projection, maybe?
This is one of those "you aren't a mindreader" moments for me. Where people act and speak in one manner, you suggest that they think something or other based on it, and then they accuse you of being a mind-reader, or projecting, or creating strawmen.
I'm sorry guy, but when people say vicious and hateful things, it's pretty easy to conclude that they really do not like the target of their ire. I wasn't suggesting it of every single dissenter. If I came off that way, it was not intended, and I'll apologize.
That's pretty much par for the course for any political figure. You see threads here with "irrational hatred" of George Bush, Barak Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Joe Lieberman... really the list goes on. Politics is polarizing that way. But really, there are a whole lot of "middle ground" people here. Though I shudder at the thought of Sarah Palin having any real power, my first comment in this thread was to dismiss this criticism of her as unimportant. Other left-of-center people here have made similar comments. It's not irrational hatred. It's rational (if partisan) dislike for her positions.
Yeah, and the right and Ted Kennedy and any number of other natural antagonists. Why do you think there are such terms as <fill in the politician of your choice> Derangement Syndrome?
Fair enough Tricky. But I will say, as I often say to these kinds of arguments, the fact that it goes both ways isn't really relevant to whether it's right or wrong. I don't personally share those feelings towards Kennedy either.
I really don't understand why some subjects and some people cause other people to get into such a mad frenzy about it. From either side of the isle. Why is it so important? People have been whipped into a frenzy by others on their own side for so long, that they are now zealots. And a world where zealots vs zealots is the only choice, is a world that sucks in the biggest possible way.
I'll concede there are a few subjects worthy of getting angry about. But people get angry over the tiniest differences anymore. It's gotten out of hand.
While I may not be perfect about it, and can be hypocritical about my message at times, I still stand by it. The best thing we can do is find ways to lower this mania as much as possible and get people
thinking, instead of
feeling. I hate the idea of a world so divided such as it is these days. I think it could genuinely lead to war some day, perhaps the biggest of them all.
We have to come together.
We have to learn to recognize that not every single thing the other side believes is evil, and not every single thing that we believe is correct. We have to lower the drama by a factor of about 10,000.
It would be a fallacy if I had made it into an argument, but all I did was pointing out the irony.
Fair enough. I admit, I'm often contradictory. I'm often hypocritical. I'm often insecure.. overly sensitive.. obnoxious.. condescending.. insert negative adjective here.
I'm human, I make mistakes. If you felt a need to knock me down a notch or something, whatever. You got it. I submit.
Heh, ya, that is pretty good. That is probably how things would shake up at my family Thanksgiving at my maternal Grandmothers house. Everyone on my Mothers side is quite strongly Democrat, and hate Bush and Palin with a passion. Only myself, my brother, and one Uncle (an in-law) are conservative. And we keep our mouths SHUT.