even your example is baloney, no one ever believed the earth was flat. That was invented by Washington Irving
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Irving#Impact_on_American_culture
so again, full of wrongness.
![]()
Since you quote Wikipedia:
"Various cultures have had conceptions of a flat Earth, including ancient Babylon, Ancient Egypt, pre-Classical Greece and pre-17th century China. This view contrasts with the realization first recorded around the 4th century BC by natural philosophers of Classical Greece that the Earth is spherical."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth)
Who's wrong now Marduk?
Perhaps you should do a little research in future?
Besides you completely miss SnidelyW’s point.
Science can only advance if we create speculative hypotheses about the unknown.
The more speculative hypotheses are generated, the better chance we have that one might be correct.
Of course we do not create these hypotheses in a vacuum, we have historical knowledge to guide us – accepted wisdom if you like.
HOWEVER, that “knowledge” (accepted wisdom) could just as easily lead us astray.
That is where Snidley’s “flat earth” comes in.
In certain cultures at certain times, THAT accepted wisdom lead them astray in being able to create hypotheses about the world.
Thus when it comes to UFOs, it is entirely acceptable to create speculative hypotheses. (ET being just one among many – even “mundane” is merely another speculative hypothesis when it comes to UFOs)
Once we have these hypotheses, we can test them against the evidence to see if any meet the standards to become plausible explanatory hypotheses.
I hope I have not misrepresented SnidelyW here …I am sure he will let me know if I have