Age aside for the moment, IMO: Polanski crossed a clear line of impropriety and illegality. I find little in the way of mitigating circumstance.
Given the age, I do think that the notion of consent should be legally unobtainable from a thirteen year old.
Can you actually answer the question please?
"If she had been 18 at the time, would you, given the information you have now, as part of a jury, vote guilty or not guilty on the charge of rape?"
If you would vote not guilty, then what would be your reasonable doubt?
I'm with Kevin, matters of law (from a legal perspective) require a
trier of fact to look at all evidence without presupposition.t.
What presupposition?
I'm asking that if you were on a jury, and heard the evidence that you have heard, how would you vote? I am asking you to be a "trier of fact" based on the current information.
Among the evidence we have are testimonies
1) her grand jury testimony describing what she alleges to have happen
2) his admission that he had sex with her
Shoot, take out the 2nd, and leave it at that. We can add a couple of other pieces of information
2a) Her mother confirms that she dropped her off at the house
2b) a doctor confirms that she had, indeed, had sex
Again, assume she is 18, so take out the issue of whether she is able to consent. Say she is. However, her testimony is that she didn't, and he forced herself upon her. He does not testify.
If you vote to acquit, what is your basis for reasonable doubt?
Kevin Lowe thinks that the fact that he didn't admit to doing it is reasonable grounds to doubt her story. However, as I pointed out, if that is the case, then there is no way anyone could ever get convicted without an admission from the perp. That is not a reasonable standard in any way.