Bosozoku
Thinker
- Joined
- Jun 10, 2008
- Messages
- 156
Just because there seems to be some confusion, here is a link to California Penal Code Section 261.5 (d), presumably the statute Polanski was charged under.
The pertinent part of 261.5(d) says "Any person 21 years of age or older who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is under 16 years of age is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or four years."
I should preface this by saying I am not a lawyer and I don't know anything about California law. However, it looks like this is a strict liability crime, where Polanski's mental state regarding the crime is irrelevant. So whether the sex was "consensual" (by the dictionary definition) is irrelevant.
The pertinent part of 261.5(d) says "Any person 21 years of age or older who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is under 16 years of age is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or four years."
I should preface this by saying I am not a lawyer and I don't know anything about California law. However, it looks like this is a strict liability crime, where Polanski's mental state regarding the crime is irrelevant. So whether the sex was "consensual" (by the dictionary definition) is irrelevant.