Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme
1. Nothing. Why should we? Should we permit rapists to escape justice if only they can successfully bribe their victims? No. A crime was committed. The state needs justice, even if the victim claims she doesn't.
2. What of it? The crime was rape, the distinction you make is irrelevant to the crime.
3. When he receives his sentence, that can be included as time served. Otherwise it is irrelevant.
4. He was not banished. He fled justice. That was his choice, an illegal choice, and the consequences for that choice are entirely upon his head.
5. That's what the appeals process is for.
6. No, he has not.
1. Okay, those are points to consider. I would opine that a civil settlement, such as the one Polanski paid the victim here, could be considered a form of justice, particularly since it was ordered by a (civil) court of law. You seem to be of the opinion this legally-mandated payout constitutes a "bribe" meant to hush the victim up, but I'm not convinced that's the case, for whatever my opinion is worth.
2. I'm making a distinction because the law makes a distinction, the judicial process makes a distinction, and because most of Polanski's critics are accusing him of pedophilia, which is not legally or medically accurate.
I agree that rape of any person at any age is a heinous crime that merits punishment. That should be obvious. But what clearly isn't obvious, because most people miss or dismiss it, is that the crime of child rape carries a different penalty from rape of a pubescent youth, which carries a different penalty from rape of an adult. That's the only point I'm making here.
3. and 4. I addressed these in an above post.
5. Excellent point. Polanski, rather than fleeing the country, might have instead brought charges of corruption against the judge, had him removed from the bench and replaced with another judge. I cannot excuse Polanski's crime of flight, but I question the point of prosecuting him in the US if he intends never to return here. Let part of his punishment be lifelong exile from the US and all countries with extradition.
6. The victim disagrees with you; she said Polanski had paid for his crime and he should be pardoned. I also feel that the combined effects of monetary restitution, exile from the US whether legally or self-imposed, and 40 days incarceration are and have been sufficiently punitive.
Your mileage may vary.
