Undisputed fact by all parties concerned: Polanski had sex with a 13 year old child.
That's rape by definition, since a 13 year old cannot give consent.
Cannot? You mean under the law as it stands now, and stood then, or is that some sort of absolute statement?
What was the actual age of consent in California in 1977, and how long had it been set at that age?
While I in no way defend Polanski, when it comes to the wider discussion of the age of consent things are not always straightforward. Only 19 years earlier, Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin. Yes, it caused an outcry at the time, but in at least one state of the US, the law believed a 13 year could give consent.
ETA: What I've not seen discussed much is the plea bargain; this seems to be a feature of the US justice system more than any other I'm aware of. Is my impression justified?
Last edited:
