madurobob
Philosopher
Yeah, but he lived and shot alot of his movies in France, he shot "Oliver Twist" in the Czec Republic, "The Pianist" in Germany, " The Ninth Gate" in Portugal, he shot "Death and the Maiden" in Chile and Spain, for months on end. These kinds of productions take months to shoot and prepare, and scout, these countries couldn't get the paperwork in time?
He also apparently maintained a residence in Switzerland. They would have had no problem finding him. But apparently CA prosecutors requested this action last week:
Sandi Gibbons, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County district attorney's office, confirmed that moves to detain the director were set in motion last week.
I have to wonder - why now? Is it just because of the relatively new extradition treaty? Sure, he committed a horrible crime and should do the time. But, is it worth spending the money and political capital on this guy right now? I'd like Polanski to show up and do his time, but I'd also like the CA DA to be focused on getting bad guys still committing crimes off the streets of CA. This Polanski affair seems more of a distraction in that regard than anything else.
So, I'm conflicted. I want him to rot in prison, but don't think we should expend any great effort to make it happen. I'd be OK right now with giving him the growing list of countries with extradition treaties with the US and telling him to just consider France as prison and not leave ever again.