• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

How much would vegetarianism benefit humanity?

Wow! 5 minutes of picking, and almost (only) %75 of the choices are viable!

How difficult!

60% are viable, and the remaining 40% are outright dangerus. I'd call this a rather bad percentage, but then again, it is my opinion.

I'm fairly certain that a supermaket where 40% of foods were dangerus for human consumption would be closed down rather quickly.

McHrozni
 
Yet you claimed that someone not writing out a plan for you is evidence that veganism is too hard.

No, I didn't. He claimed it was very easy indeed, and I asked him to back up his claims. He told me to read a book.

Instead I got your demand that I supply you with an entirely different subset of information, which I did, and now you're calling me out on that my positions is silly, because you disagree with it.

Really, can the dishonesty increase any more?

Indeed, can it?

McHrozni
 
60% are viable, and the remaining 40% are outright dangerus. I'd call this a rather bad percentage, but then again, it is my opinion.

I'm fairly certain that a supermaket where 40% of foods were dangerus for human consumption would be closed down rather quickly.

McHrozni

Yeah. I mean, I have a peanut allergy, and because this means that I have to be more careful in my choice selections, they should totally shut down the local grocery store!

Again: Mockery. I recommend it 7 times a day, three square meals of it a day.

How do you factor 60%, anyways? 5/7 = ~.71

McHrozni said:
Indeed, can it?

Considering your above post, I think that's a "yes".
 
Last edited:
Two of the five suggestions fall out because of the two minor restrictions that I set.

Which two? Non-dairy milk doesn't automatically mean soy - you can get rice milk, oat milk, quinoa milk. And you can get wheat-free museli. Hell, get bran flakes, Fruit'n'Fibre, porridge, anything. What are you moaning about? And that's not a mandatory suggestion, either. It's not like if you don't have those things, you're going to get ill.

Vegans don't sit agonising over the nutritionall-content of every meal. It's simply not necessary, any more than it is for omnivores. Just eat a varied, balanced diet and you'll be fine. If the cohort studies are in any way plausible, you may even be more than fine.

You seem to have it in your head that vegans spend hours pouring over menu plans, agonising over Vitamin D mg levels and trying to figure out where the next dose of idodine is gonna come from before Friday comes around. It simply isn't like that. The same advice that applies to balanced, normal omnviorous diets applies to balanced, normal vegan ones - eat a variety of things, from across the food groups. Eat some fruits, some beg, some grains, some legumes and some pulses.

It's not hard.
 
Last edited:
Yeah. I mean, I have a peanut allergy, and because this means that I have to be more careful in my choice selections, they should totally shut down the local grocery store!

Strawman much?

I didn't recommend that you eat peanuts, knowing that you were allergic to them.

That's what was done to me, and now you claim this wasn't a mistake. Not really, because your peanut allergy is not a reason a local supermarket should stop selling peanuts.
Your argument, not mine.

McHrozni
 
And what % of recipes in an omnivorous cookbook would be unsuitable for someone with coeliac disease. I imagine its rather a lot too, as I know how much difficulty my relatives with coeliac have when eating out.
 
How do you factor 60%, anyways? 5/7 = ~.71

I took it as 2/5 bad, 3/5 good, since he listed five foods, two were dangerus and three weren't. I think that was 40% and 60% respectively the last time I checked.

McHrozni
 
Strawman much?

I didn't recommend that you eat peanuts, knowing that you were allergic to them.

That's what was done to me, and now you claim this wasn't a mistake. Not really, because your peanut allergy is not a reason a local supermarket should stop selling peanuts.
Your argument, not mine.

McHrozni
It took you what? 5 minutes to pick 7 meals? You were the one that claimed that 2 of your choices were not viable by your own dietary restrictions.

You're the one claiming that you cannot spend another 5 minutes for more viable meals, and then claim it's the fault of others that you have to be careful. In fact, you were the one that said:

I'm fairly certain that a supermaket where 40% of foods were dangerus for human consumption would be closed down rather quickly.

That "40%" of foods were "dangerus" for your own dietary restrictions involving allergies. A minute more of searching and you could have overcome it, much like people with peanut allergies have to spend more time actually looking at the food they're consuming.
 
Probably. But then again, what if all omnivores in a study spend the same amount of time and effort to ensure they eat propertly as vegetarians and vegans do. Has such a study been done and if so, what were the results?

McHrozni

What do you mean by "time and effort"? I guarantee I spend no more time and effort on my food choices than you do, and I guarantee I am just as healthy. Do you seriously imagine all veggies sit at home on the weekend totting up their folic acid levels for the week? I honestly can't work out what you think is so difficult.
 
And what % of recipes in an omnivorous cookbook would be unsuitable for someone with coeliac disease. I imagine its rather a lot too, as I know how much difficulty my relatives with coeliac have when eating out.

Less in an average one than in an average vegan one, plus wheat is often used just as a thickener and can be replaced, but you can't have gluten-free seitan for example.

McHrozni
 
I took it as 2/5 bad, 3/5 good, since he listed five foods, two were dangerus and three weren't. I think that was 40% and 60% respectively the last time I checked.

McHrozni

I thought he challenged you to pick 7 meals. My mistake, then.

Anyways, I need to get to school.
 
That "40%" of foods were "dangerus" for your own dietary restrictions involving allergies.

Which I specified beforehand not to be included in the list, and the list was made in a reply to that initial request.

McHrozni
 
What do you mean by "time and effort"?

Reading on nutrition approximately as much as you did, and making the food choices based on the knowledge obtained in that way. Would the vegan still be at a survival advantage?

McHrozni
 
Having coelic is a major drag in choosing food - but I really don't think it is that much more difficult for veggies than meat eaters.
 
Reading on nutrition approximately as much as you did, and making the food choices based on the knowledge obtained in that way. Would the vegan still be at a survival advantage?

I read one chapter of one book. Took about 15 minutes. It was basically a refresher of high-school biology class anyway.

Seriously, what part of "it's not complicated" don't you understand?
 
I took it as 2/5 bad, 3/5 good, since he listed five foods, two were dangerus and three weren't. I think that was 40% and 60% respectively the last time I checked.

McHrozni

You were wrong anyway, as the 2 things you think were dangerous, weren't actually dangerous. Non-dairy milk doesn't mean soy. Museli doesn't necessarily mean wheat. And in any case, these were suggestions with simple alternatives - the porridge is right next to the muesli on the store shelf.

It's not complicated. You seem to want to dig your heels in and stick your fingers in your ears rather than actually look at this objectively.
 
You were wrong anyway, as the 2 things you think were dangerous, weren't actually dangerous. Non-dairy milk doesn't mean soy. Museli doesn't necessarily mean wheat. And in any case, these were suggestions with simple alternatives - the porridge is right next to the muesli on the store shelf.

It's not complicated. You seem to want to dig your heels in and stick your fingers in your ears rather than actually look at this objectively.

Oat based foods may, or may not, be ok for people with coeliac.
http://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac-Disease-and-Oats:-Are-They-Gluten%252dFree%3F/
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom