supercorgi
Dog Everlasting
- Joined
- Aug 3, 2004
- Messages
- 2,528
This is an offshoot of a discussion with Kurious Kathy in which she asked me to start a new thread. The topic is archeological evidence that the Bible it true to which she attests. I attest that there is next to no archeological evidence that the Bible is true. Here is my response to one of her posts:
I understand. Enjoy your vacation. Yet when you get back, I'd be very interested in any information you could provide.
Please supply the full name of the book. A search on "Archeolgoy Bible" on amazon produces a number of hits. I'd be interested in reading this.
You should also be aware of that Biblical archeology, as a whole, does not get a lot of respect from the archeological community. This is because, archaeologists do not go into the field with a lot of presuppositions. They do field work to find what is there and then draw some tentative conculsions from it that they hope will be verified by more field work. Yes archaeologists have hypothesis which they go into the field to test - yet, if the evidence does not support these hypotheses, they refine or abandon them. They go to examine the evidence, not to pigeonhole it into their theory.
Biblical archaeologists (and I repeat not all - some are fine scholars) go into the field with a bunch of presuppositions. They go into the field to find evidence that the Bible is true - and sometimes ignore or discount evidence that does not fit with their hypotheses. They go with a certainty that something is true and look for evidence to support it - they do not go with an idea (which may or may not be true) and let the evidence (or lack of) speak for itself. They do not use accepted archeological methods.
For example, my area of specialty was pre-iron age Europe - basically the Celts. My professor's area of expertise was on how trade contact with the Romans transformed the Celts. The evidence - trade goods from Rome in Celtic lands, trade goods from Celts in Rome, change in burial practices amongst the Celts, changes in communities amongst the Celts. Strong evidence yet at the same time (this was 20 years ago) not conclusive.
You need evidence. Solid evidence. Not just evidence that such and such a city actually existed. This is no evidence for the Bible but just evidence that such a place existed and was widely know in the Roman/Biblical world. If you are trying to provide evidence that the Bible was true, you need strong evidence that the things that occurred in the Bible actually happened. For example, we know that the Jews did not build the pyramids and may not even been slaves in Egypt. We have no evidence to a mass exodus and no evidence that a large group of people wandered in the Sinai for many years. Nil, nada, nothing.
The same is true for the Flood. There is no evidence for this and any twisting of the geological record is dishonest. The Grand Canyon provides NO evidence for a world-wide flood despite Creationists attempt to make it so. The Grand Canyon was formed by 1000s of years of sedimentary rock being laid down and then eroded by a river. The strata in the Grand Canyon attest to this. Sedimentary rock to that depth does not form over a matter of a year or so.
Hey Tim and Sc I am in Maui on a family vacation so some of my resources are at home and I can't get to it right now, plus I do not have this info memorized since archeology is not one of my specific areas of special interest or study. I just know there are many new discoveries especially in the last few years so I would not ignore that. I can share some of the other info I have for you once I get back home.
I understand. Enjoy your vacation. Yet when you get back, I'd be very interested in any information you could provide.
Also you can also easily find other archeological discoveries that are documented well if you'll pick up a copy of an Archeology Bible. Since you seem very interested in this subject I think you'll find this resource very helpful. I do not own a copy myself but I have seen them and now maybe I'll buy one too so I can help others like you who have these kinds of questions.
Please supply the full name of the book. A search on "Archeolgoy Bible" on amazon produces a number of hits. I'd be interested in reading this.
You should also be aware of that Biblical archeology, as a whole, does not get a lot of respect from the archeological community. This is because, archaeologists do not go into the field with a lot of presuppositions. They do field work to find what is there and then draw some tentative conculsions from it that they hope will be verified by more field work. Yes archaeologists have hypothesis which they go into the field to test - yet, if the evidence does not support these hypotheses, they refine or abandon them. They go to examine the evidence, not to pigeonhole it into their theory.
Biblical archaeologists (and I repeat not all - some are fine scholars) go into the field with a bunch of presuppositions. They go into the field to find evidence that the Bible is true - and sometimes ignore or discount evidence that does not fit with their hypotheses. They go with a certainty that something is true and look for evidence to support it - they do not go with an idea (which may or may not be true) and let the evidence (or lack of) speak for itself. They do not use accepted archeological methods.
For example, my area of specialty was pre-iron age Europe - basically the Celts. My professor's area of expertise was on how trade contact with the Romans transformed the Celts. The evidence - trade goods from Rome in Celtic lands, trade goods from Celts in Rome, change in burial practices amongst the Celts, changes in communities amongst the Celts. Strong evidence yet at the same time (this was 20 years ago) not conclusive.
You need evidence. Solid evidence. Not just evidence that such and such a city actually existed. This is no evidence for the Bible but just evidence that such a place existed and was widely know in the Roman/Biblical world. If you are trying to provide evidence that the Bible was true, you need strong evidence that the things that occurred in the Bible actually happened. For example, we know that the Jews did not build the pyramids and may not even been slaves in Egypt. We have no evidence to a mass exodus and no evidence that a large group of people wandered in the Sinai for many years. Nil, nada, nothing.
The same is true for the Flood. There is no evidence for this and any twisting of the geological record is dishonest. The Grand Canyon provides NO evidence for a world-wide flood despite Creationists attempt to make it so. The Grand Canyon was formed by 1000s of years of sedimentary rock being laid down and then eroded by a river. The strata in the Grand Canyon attest to this. Sedimentary rock to that depth does not form over a matter of a year or so.