What was the insult exactly?
Bad form to quote myself but I'd like to reiterate this question, Ziggurat how did I insult you? I would like to apologise but I don't know what for.
What was the insult exactly?
I am not sure if it is and works that way.The money would stay locked up in bank accounts, doing little or nothing for the economy.
Balrog - just an observation, but I find your position on this issue even more shocking given a post of yours I just read in another thread...
"Back a long, long time ago, when I had some family medical problems and three kids to feed, I took a second job to make ends meet - working on a swing shift at a major, albeit minor-scale, retailer, working a few weeknights and weekends."
You've been there. You know how screwed the system is for people in your position [then]. How can you still stand behind it?

So, if I have a problem meeting my financial obligations, I should just smile and reach into your wallet?![]()
So, if I have a problem meeting my financial obligations, I should just smile and reach into your wallet?![]()
If by "my wallet" you mean the collective wealth of a civilised society, and if by "financial obligation" you mean "the ability to pay for my healthcare needs" and if by "smile" you mean "accept that you are part of society", then yes, wholeheartedly - especially if you'll agree to let me reach into your wallet should I have similar needs in the future, and especially if this transaction is cheaper for us both, on average, over the course of our lives.
How's that sound? Like hell to you? It just sounds grown-up, friendly and civilised to me (and to the rest of us).
The reason for doing things through taxation is to prevent freeloading.The only reason to do any payments through taxation is to force other people to pay. So no, I didn't miss anything.
Bad form to quote myself but I'd like to reiterate this question, Ziggurat how did I insult you? I would like to apologise but I don't know what for.
You are willing to put your ideology, that government is bad, before what is best for the overwhelming majority of the population.
People like you scare me to be honest. .
So, if I have a problem meeting my financial obligations, I should just smile and reach into your wallet?![]()
The basic idea is actually quite simple: positive rights are problematic, and tend to lead to an unhealthy expansion of government power and influence, and encourages dysfunctional dependency.
The difference is that I can recognize your stance as moral too, because I understand it's predicated on a different understanding of the way things work, whereas you cannot recognize that about me.
That is a frequently-cited justification for forcing other people to pay, but you're still forcing other people to pay, so this in no way contradicts my statement.
Under your favored scheme they are forced to pay even more. Your position really boils down to the belief that it’s better to be forced to pay $2 to a private individual then it is to be forced to pay $1 in tax.
That is a frequently-cited justification for forcing other people to pay, but you're still forcing other people to pay, so this in no way contradicts my statement. And it's frequently not even true.
In fact, the entire rational behind UHC is rather the reverse: you're taking money from people who have lots, and would thus be able to cover their own health care spending without freeloading, and spending it on people who would otherwise be unable to pay for their healthcare, thus turning them into freeloaders. Whatever the merits of such a system in terms of social stability, equality, etc, the one argument that it does NOT make sense to use for taxation to pay for UHC is that it stops freeloading.
Which is complete baloney. UHC takes money from people who can afford it, whether it is in the form of taxation like in the UK or in the form of premiums like in Germany (which are a form of taxation, as you can't avoid them - unless your employer is a crook) and spends it on anyone who needs it, whether they contribute or not.
And the vast majority contribute.
The freeloaders (those who could but don't want to) are really not that much of a burden.
The only way you can be a freeloader in Britain is by not paying your taxes.
And this contradicts the fact that it's creating freeloaders... how? It doesn't. In fact, you've basically acknowledged it does.
Which is relevant to the question of how many freeloaders we have.
Again, this is all well and good, but it still contradicts the point Rolfe tried to make. Regardless of how big a burden they are, you've still got freeloaders, and UHC doesn't prevent them in any way, but rather permits them. But I'm surprised at the tack you're taking: rather than trying to justify the acceptance of freeloaders (the costs are small, the benefits are worth it, etc), you're basically trying to deny that Rolfe was wrong. Why? You don't need Rolfe to be right in order to justify your support for UHC.
What, you have to pay taxes if you're unemployed and on welfare?
Eskarina is in a different country from me. The system works differently. I don't know how "freeloaders" happen in Germany. The only way you can be a freeloader in Britain is by not paying your taxes. Which is fraud. And you'll go to jail. (Though you still won't be denied healthcare.)
Rolfe.