Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Jun 19, 2003
- Messages
- 64,247
You still pay VAT on the stuff you buy.
Are you going to claim that this VAT tax is enough to cover your health care costs, or is even as much as one's welfare benefits?
You still pay VAT on the stuff you buy.
I did no such thing. How exactly does UHC create freeloaders?
Do you honestly think that people become or stay unemployed because they don't want to pay UHC insurance or taxes?
Or that it is an incentive in the US to get employment, when you lose insurance as soon as you lose the job?
You can find lazy and greedy bums everywhere, who find unemployment and it's benefits preferable to work, but that is not an issue specifically pertinent to UHC.
Very true. I'll do the research for Germany and you do it for the US, and tomorrow we'll compare the numbers.
Rolfe was talking about the UK, while I was talking about Germany.
Are you going to claim that this VAT tax is enough to cover your health care costs, or is even as much as one's welfare benefits?
Social security creates Rab C. Nesbit. You can't really avoid it. The USA is no different from countries with universal healthcare in this respect.
And yes, the purpose of taxes is to prevent freeloading.
I note with some humour that Beerina has been strangely absent since this point was raised.Architect said:Beerina, this particular point on medical private sector funding of healthcare has arisen before and the point was made by others - and well supported, IIRC - that in fact your government, not the private health firms, support pharma research the most. Are you going to try and prove this to be wrong?
I don't see where Professor Yaffle claimed that the VAT is enough to cover health care costs.
Are you going to claim that this VAT tax is enough to cover your health care costs, or is even as much as one's welfare benefits?
By paying for them. If nobody else was paying for them, they wouldn't be freeloading. You can't freeload if you aren't getting anything.
Most people with signficant health needs will not pay in enough to cover their costs. My niece with the heart transplant certainly hasn't, and I doubt her parents have if you include their kids in the equation. That's kinda the whole point of the system. And the point of private insurance systems.
Mmm, in many cases (my niece and my mother) they would be dead.
By paying for them. If nobody else was paying for them, they wouldn't be freeloading. You can't freeload if you aren't getting anything.
The reasons are irrelevant, and I made no claims about motives. Some people (such as those with severe disabilities) are freeloaders through no choice of their own. Nonetheless, there are freeloaders: those who take from the system without contributing to it.
First off, COBRA, and second, yes, it obviously is an incentive, how effective or important an incentive is a separate question. But that issue is a tangent.
I wasn't making the claim that it was important. Rather, I was making the claim that Rolfe is wrong that the reason for taxes is to prevent freeloading, because that's simply not the case.
Why? Comparative differences between the US and Germany are irrelevant to Rolfe's claim. But perhaps you've forgotten what was most recently under discussion.
Differences between Germany and the UK are likewise irrelevant to the claim Rolfe made that I criticized: taxes are NOT simply to prevent freeloading, and they ARE for the purpose of forcing other people to pay for something. That is true in the UK, in Germany, and in the US.
Then paying VAT isn't enough to keep one from being a freeloader. So either Yaffle is claiming something I would find rather astounding, or his claim just doesn't change anything about the existence of freeloaders.
And if nobody was paying for them, they might die.
Do you want that weighing on your conscience?
Oh, the humanity of it!!!!111eleventy-one!!! Some people are using the system without ever contributing (or being able to contribute) to it.
Taxes are very efficient to prevent freeloading.
Seems more to me, that you still aren't aware of the fact that Rolfe and I were talking about about different systems.
Like your taxes pay for defense and homeland security? Do you pay them voluntarily?
Again, if your goal is quality of healthcare for everyone, access and affordability have to be addressed. If improvements in medicine can save a hundred thousand lives, that’s good. If lack of access due to cost kills two hundred thousand, that’s bad.Oh, and as a side note, "better" is all we care about here. If "cheaper" leads to slower "better" in any way, shape, or form, it will become cumulatively murderous.
Think about it: The more things to buy, the more the total cost is, everything else being equal.
Hence in a free, capitalist society, increasing costs beyond inflation are to be expected -- indeed, desired.
You aren't buying "health care".
You're buying a heart catheterization. And another with balloon angioplasty. And a quintuple bypass. And a dialysis machine. And an internal, artificial heart. And a titanium knee. And an internal pacemaker, new and improved with built-in defibrillator.
Oh, and one final thing. That the government steps in and funds things does not, necessarily, mean the private sector won't. Especially w.r.t. big "bang for your buck" research. It could, though, hamper private investment. If it weren't for the potential monetary upside, don't you think the private company that sequenced the human genome, finishing only a little bit after the vastly more expensive government cash hemorrhage did, would have given up? Then people like you would be claiming only the government could find the will to do such a thing.
Which, of course, would be false, but there would be no easy way to prove it without a parallel "experiment". Nobody here recognizes this issue in politics, either, though they're all about it in psychics, Big Feet, homeopathy, and so on.
Her claim is simply that even those, who don't have an income and thus do not pay any form of income tax, still contribute to the NHS by paying VAT.
Even if they only spend 50 pounds on groceries each month. Or 30 quid. Or a hundred. Or 20 squidzillions. Or whatever. They contribute.
As I said to Yaffle, that's an argument for the desirability of allowing freeloaders, but it doesn't make them not freeloaders.
And how, pray tell, is a correct description of the system going to place any weight on my conscience?
Oh, the strawmanity!!!!111eleventy-one!!!
In some cases. But the fact that they do this in some cases (which I have never denied, and which it does by forcing other people to pay for something) does not mean that they only do that, as Rolfe suggested. And it does not mean that they do this in the case of UHC, because they don't. Appealing to emotion, as you did above, will not change that reality: in fact, the entire emotional appeal is precisely because they do NOT do that.
Seems to me you've studiously avoided the actual points I've made in favor of strawmen.
I am forced to pay them. Whether or not I would do so in the absence of compulsion is an entirely academic problem, since that compulsion does in fact exist, and there is no realistic prospect it will be removed. Any answer I give would be meaningless, since there's no way I could demonstrate that it's true, and no way you could ever show it's false.
Furthermore, the fact that some taxes address the free rider problem does not mean that all do. Is that really too difficult a concept to grasp?
And if they do so out of welfare payments they get, is that really contributing to the NHS? No, it is not.
And if they pay even a single pound of VAT, that's enough to not make them freeloaders? No, I don't think so.
And if they pay even a single pound of VAT, that's enough to not make them freeloaders? No, I don't think so.
An interesting case of selective perception you display here. Perchance you might want to quote my post in full.