gumboot
lorcutus.tolere
- Joined
- Jun 18, 2006
- Messages
- 25,327
Also, what is it good for?
Absolutely nothing.
Also, what is it good for?
Are all wars bad? Let me put it another way, are all wars worse than the alternative in every case? Would Naziism and Japanese Militarism have gone quietly into the night without war?
Human existance benefits from war.
9-11-2001 has shown that, like many species, the herd needs to be thinned from time to time.

I'm not sure there is a difference, really. Any time you're disccussing your belief, you're stating that you believe certain things are true, factual. And until you effectively substantiate these statements with good evidence and sound reasoning, these statements are only allegations of fact.Mind you, I'm not alleging anything. I'm discussing my belief, which is based on something I've heard, seen and read (and which I'm definitely not claiming to necessarily be compatible with reality). It might be my poor understanding of the intricacies in the English language, but I think there is a difference. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
I'm not sure this is a sound policy.Thank you for this. It seems obvious that things are done like this, and I don't think there's any reason this kind of practice should be altered. I do think that the people ordering the job should be ever so vigilant to notice if, at some point, they could use local companies and manpower to do some jobs. The contracts should, in my opinion, be made so this would be possible.
Nobody profits...
Humankind could not possibly get less benefit, unless war was renamed disease and carried out by bacteria and viruses.Human existance benefits from war.
9-11-2001 has shown that, like many species, the herd needs to be thinned from time to time.
Humankind could not possibly get less benefit, unless war was renamed disease and carried out by bacteria and viruses.
The resources, the disruption, the destruction of progress and lack of thinking makes war the greatest drain our society has ever had. If we had dedicated the energy we put into warfare into science, the results would be inconceivably greater for our race.
Well said. That's exactly why I feel so appalled by (as I believe to be the case) people actually using their influence in favor of war, for purposes of personal greed. I could understand and even advocate going to war if the reasons were based on as solid evidence as possible of the whole of humankind, in the end, truly benefitting from it.
But for simple greed for wealth/control over wealth, sparks up rage in me.
The stuff on the most vicious war profiteers in the OP was pretty interesting, particularly the a link on the Veritas Capital Fund/DynCorp entry, which talks about among other things BAE-Systems and their RMA (Revolution in Military Affairs) which is just awful...
http://www.businesspundit.com/the-25-most-vicious-iraq-war profiteers/
http://www.thepeoplesvoice.org/cgi-bin/blogs/voices.php/2007/10/04/p19985
This is really awful...
INRM
Unlike you, I don't pretend to be able to read Cheney's mind. But the fact that defense-related stocks go up in times of war is bleedingly obvious.Halliburton's stock price went up a lot starting in Spring of 2003. I'm sure that wasn't a factor in Cheney's thinking, but a conspiracy-minded person would probably not see it that way.
Care to give some examples of wars in which every member of humankind benefited?
The thing is that an opponent of any war, for whatever reason, is always going to allege that it is all about "wealth/greed." If the US had gone into Rwanda to stop the genocide there would have been throngs, huge throngs, of people all screaming at the top of their lungs that we were only there for "wealth/greed" even if it was absolutely only about stopping the genocide.