• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

WAR, who benefits?

Remind me who warned the world to beware of the military industrial complex? Someone who was just making it all up no doubt.

Many economies are tied to weapons manufacture. You need regular wars to oil the wheels of commerce and use up the old ordnance. Killing the odd civilian or million is just the price you pay for keeping the lifestyle going.
 
Tapia,

If it was genuine concern, I'd like to know if you have ideas on what a layman could possibly do about this kind of stuff...because just watching it unfold through the screen, unable to act in any way is...well, to me, frustrating to say the least. Supporting groups like Avaaz just doesn't feel like enough is being done.

I am not being sarcastic, I was expressing genuine concern.

I don't have any idea what could be done, but I think more people need to be aware of this. At the very least I think people are entitled to know about things like this...


INRM
 
INRM, thank you for the clarification.

Yes, if this stuff is true, I think it should hit headlines worldwide. Again and again.
 
Ok, this'll be the last time I'll push this thread up. After this post, if reasonable comments/evaluation on the actual content supporting the main premise of the OP stay absent, I'll let the thread fade. To me, this would be a shame, since I thought that here I'd find a genuine interest in discussing the topic (not forgetting the fragments of it that were discussed - thanks for that :)). Maybe I'm just too used to the way evidence is handled in the GS&P and SMM&T sub-forums...

That's ok, no sweat. I'll just hold on to my belief for now and keep supporting the fight for a more "politically/financially transparent" world. At the same time remembering to keep myself open to be proven otherwise. Thanks for your time!
 
Ok, this'll be the last time I'll push this thread up. After this post, if reasonable comments/evaluation on the actual content supporting the main premise of the OP stay absent, I'll let the thread fade. To me, this would be a shame, since I thought that here I'd find a genuine interest in discussing the topic (not forgetting the fragments of it that were discussed - thanks for that :)). Maybe I'm just too used to the way evidence is handled in the GS&P and SMM&T sub-forums...

That's ok, no sweat. I'll just hold on to my belief for now and keep supporting the fight for a more "politically/financially transparent" world. At the same time remembering to keep myself open to be proven otherwise. Thanks for your time!
What's to discuss? The support you offered for your premise in the OP was rebutted. You responded by acknowledging that the rebuttal called your premise into question, but that you would continue to stand by it anyway. However, instead of justifying your commitment to your premise by offering additional, un-rebutted support, you simply stuck with the support you'd already offered, in spite of the rebuttal (which you also did not counter).

Unless you have anything new to bring to the table, there's really nothing more to say.
 
What's to discuss? The support you offered for your premise in the OP was rebutted. You responded by acknowledging that the rebuttal called your premise into question, but that you would continue to stand by it anyway.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. I appreciate the response I've got, I really do. But nowhere in there can I find a shred of evidence to support any "rebuttal" made.

Also, there has not been any evaluation of the evidence I brought forth to support my belief. The only scrape even near was that of gumboot explaining the intricacy of financing with regard to Halliburton and KBR. However, even that was purely anecdotal with no source provided. Even if true, it would address only a tiny part of the vast amount of information I linked to in the OP.

I have repeatedly asked for whatever means of evidence to support any "rebuttal". None has been given. Once again, I'm completely willing to alter my belief, if given the evidence to support this alteration. I'd really appreciate you showing me exactly where in this thread you feel the evidence I brought forth has been rebutted (with evidence).

I believe you, as a fellow member of the skeptical community, can appreciate me not abandoning my belief (which I see to be based on extensive amounts of evidence) simply because people say so?

However, instead of justifying your commitment to your premise by offering additional, un-rebutted support, you simply stuck with the support you'd already offered, in spite of the rebuttal (which you also did not counter).

Please, could you tell me why I should offer "additional, un-rebutted support" when even the most basic aspects of my original evidence have not been adequately evaluated or rebutted? I continue to justify my belief simply because it's still the belief with the most evidence on it's side.

Once again I ask you, read through the articles I linked to, pinpoint whatever error or bias you find in them, and support your assertion with according evidence. OR give evidence-based reasoning for why you think what I offered as evidence for my belief can not be counted as such in the first place.

These I believe are the ways in which a discussion based on evidence is handled. I've given you mine, now you give me yours.

Unless you have anything new to bring to the table, there's really nothing more to say.

:(

Secretly, when I gathered the links in the OP, I was fearing this would happen. But believing these forums to be in this regard different to so many others, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I accept your notion of "nothing more to say". But I challenge you to show me first that "everything that can be, has been said". In my opinion, there's (at least) two options of letting an evidence-based discussion fade.

1. We've come to a mutual agreement on the evidence, it's validity and conclusions drawn from it
2. One side simply backs out of conversation without even an attempt to look at the evidence provided, claiming (without offering supporting evidence) that the other sides opinion/belief is simply false

To me, the first is rational and aims to develop an understanding of the subject. The second I find to be common in discussions with people holding religious beliefs on the subject at hand.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom