I live in a rural area of Central Illinois, a mile from a Corps of Engineers lake. I just saw this thread yesterday and decided to do a Mother's Day bird count. (May 10, '09) My wife and I live on 6 acres and I only counted the birds I observed from my ground. I started at 6am and stayed out until 10am. I went out again for a short time in the afternoon and this is the list I made in the order I saw them.
Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis
Common Grackle Quiscalus quiscula
House Sparrow Passer domesticus
Red-winged Blackbird Agelaius phoeniceus
Amer. Robin Turdus migratorius
White-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys
Rose-breasted Grosbeak Pheucticus ludovicianus
Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater
House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
Eastern Phoebe Sayornis phoebe
Chipping Sparrow Spizella passerina
Tree Swallow Tachycineta bicolor
European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
Mourning Dove Zenaida asiatica
House Wren Troglodytes aedon
Black-capped Chickadee Parus atricapillus
Gray Catbird Dumetekka carolinensis
Indigo Bunting Passerina cyanea
Eastern Meadowlark Sturnella magna
Northern Oriole Icterus galbula
Yellow Warbler Dendroica petechia
Orchard Oriole Icterus spurius
Chimney Swift Chaetura pelagica
Brown Thrasher Taxostoma rufum
Ruby-throated Hummingbird Archilochus colubris
Eastern Kingbird Tyrannus tyrannus
Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura
American Goldfinch Carduelis tristis
Fox Sparrow Passerella iliaca
American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
Downy Woodpecker Picoides pubescens
Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica
Red-bellied Woodpecker Melanerpes carolinus
Green-backed Heron Butorides striatus
There are several other species that are very common here that, for some reason, I failed to see. I usually see a few ducks and geese and a few hawks, but none today. I didn't see a Blue Jay either, which surprised me. I heard Ring-necked Pheasants and Bobwhite Quail calling, but didn't see them. No Purple Martens yet either. The only one listed above that surprised me was the yellow warbler.