.
I never said the frequency of the oscillation was important.
It was the amount of energy from the plane that pushed the building off center to start the oscillation that matters. That energy must be subtracted from the total kinetic energy of the plane to compute how much was left to do structural damage.
Doesn't the structural damage have something to do with the collapse? Oh, that's right! The NIST is only concerned about collapse initiation. Well doesn't the structural damage have something to do with collapse initiation?
psik
I never said you said that the frequency of oscillation wasn't important. But you knew that I knew you would imply that I was thinking you had said that. Unless you meant to infer that I was only implying you had said that when in fact it was I that had implied it based soley on the inference of it in your earlier posts. Whether it was implied, inferred or misread is irrelevant to your current misunderstanding.
The building wasn't pushed off center, only part of it. I'm sure you understand that but it needs to be said.
I haven't read NCSTAR from cover to cover. Only parts. And it was a while ago, but I seem to recall this being accounted for in the report. Some of the kinetic energy of the plane was absorbed in the oscillation, but most of it contributed to damaging the exterior and core.
What I don't get is your insistence the mass of the perimeter has anything to do with that calculation. The point of impact and the thickness of the plate in that specific area is the only thing of relevance. The rest of the perimeter mass has nothing to do with it. The energy absorbed in the oscillation was calculated from the known frequency of oscillation.
To put it very simple psikey, if I know that when I hit a piece of glass with a force = X it breaks, why do I need to know the mass of the glass? Same thing with a spring, if I know an applied force = X will deform the spring, who cares what the spring weighs? If it weighs a million tonnes or an ounce it doesn't matter, I know that if I pull it this hard (X) it will deform or break or whatever.
All I've seen you do here is apply the wrong math to the wrong principles to get the wrong conclusions. You need to consider for a second maybe it isn't so simple, it's not so easy and it's not so obvious.