• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread The validity of classical physics (split from: DWFTTW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for a good answer Dan. I still follow the original thread, and look forward to more on the discussion between you and JF on the model he's making. But look at how much more active this thread is now. Like the great post CORed just made about the liquid going to the back of the plane. I'll laugh again when I reread it tomorrow.

That's what I meant about entertaining instruction. This has got to be the funniest thread I've ever read, and it keeps getting better. Look at the view numbers. I'm not alone in enjoying it for sure, with a 10 to 1 ratio of views over replies.

member shoots; he SCORES! Nothing but net! Still laughing. Think I may put a 'best of humber' CD together and sell it on Ebay.
 
Last edited:
I should have used this much earlier:

"Holy Zarquon’s singing fish!!!!!!"
"There’s nothing out there Ford! Like, no ground! Some cat’s taken the ground away!"

Let's see if we can make any progress without that pesky default reference frame getting in the way.
 
The way I figure it, if Humber isn't faking it, then he's never going to get it, and trying to get him to understand is just cruel at this point. So, I'd stop my conversation with him.

If Humber is faking it, then continued conversation with him only gives him the troll food he wants. So, I'd stop my conversation with him.

Game theory wise, there is no option that comes up "keep talking with humber".

The one option that seems to be in play is to demonstrate how wrong humber is, which humber is playing right into. Which sort of tells me he may not know physics, but he may very well be getting some sort of strange satisfaction around getting people so upset at him that they have to keep correcting him.

If he isn't faking it, he will never get it and you're wasting your time. If he is faking, you're giving him exactly what he wants. ANd if he doesn't know physics but is driven by a desire to confound people with outrageousness, then you're giving him exactly what he wants.
 
I disagree Greg, though any that get upset are losing out, true. But then you have those such as John, member, sol and Dan, to name just 4, whom are introducing a lot of interesting perspectives on his zany ideas while making it very funny in the process. I see it as a win-win.

If he is in fact someone as knowledgeable as say, spork-or in fact IS spork-and is putting us on, as I believe, then you must admit he’s been very clever about it to have fooled so many for so long. Meanwhile, many like me I have learned from all the corrections.

Either way he’s very bright. So if he is just misguided, I imagine you all might eventually show him the light while still teaching others you’ll never know. Of course that could also be part of his plan. :cool:
 
Humber:

You have often referred to "real wind" and claimed that it is different from the treadmill generated wind in important ways. Now, I've just been looking back through some ancient history and it seems that possibly your first use of the term was in post #411 of the original thread, but I couldn't find a definition! So, how about providing one so that your loyal readers and protagonists understand precisely what you are talking about? It may seem like a trivial point to you (like most things?), but I see that you also talked about a "moving wind" in a recent post. Does this imply there is an "unmoving wind" lurking out there also or is "moving wind" simply a synonym you are using for "real wind"? We wouldn't want this kind of thing adding more murk to the already muddy waters would we?

What are the necessary and sufficient conditions for a "wind" to be "real" according to you?

Please try for a precise and complete definition, because without that, most of what you have said previously could easily and maliciously be interpreted as just so much hot air.

By the way, are there any situations where a treadmill generated wind could be as "real" or even "more real" than your archetypal "real wind"? For example, say we have a very large treadmill, complete with trees and house and hills and so forth on the belt. As these objects are dragged backwards through the "still air" on our giant treadmill I'd expect turbulence and other effects to be generated. For that matter, the "still air" above the treadmill in a small room as seen in the spork/JB videos isn't really completely still either is it? The propeller of the cart is moving some air about, people are moving around the treadmill, the belt is moving, and so on. How does this come into it?
 
I think I'm swinging towards the prophets point of view.

I just can't imagine anyone being as consistently wrong as Humber based on ignorance alone -- it has taken effort and education to be that wrong.

I have seen people being that wrong before and for many years. That person is not a fake and the discussions with him is similar to those with humber. That person killed the big air forum and is now banned from most other pg forums but still write his nonsense that has been disproved over and over again on youtube.

It is hard to say how much humber knows and how much he is trolling but similar behavior can be honest.
 
Semper,

In another thread I actually gave someone else a very complete description of Dynamic Soaring. But it involves a VERTICAL shear layer, that is different winds at different heights, so I would have said it fits the descrption as, if not a vertical current, a vertical phenomena.

It was spoken about it this threads, Humber mentioned something about it being Waves, and we left him to that delusion.

Ah sorry RossFW, I didn't read that other thread, seems like we managed to get that through undetected by Humber this time anyway. It must be perplexing for him to consider varying windspeeds and directions with altitude, since it makes it very difficult to determine which one is real.
 
Ah sorry RossFW, I didn't read that other thread, seems like we managed to get that through undetected by Humber this time anyway. It must be perplexing for him to consider varying windspeeds and directions with altitude, since it makes it very difficult to determine which one is real.


Gold!!:D
 
Is there anything that Humber cannot be wrong about? If Humber can be wrong about everything, does this help us determine the truth, or is there an infinitude of incorrectness? I think i am starting to notice him reaching the limit of stupidity, he can only go so far wrong in one area before he has to start in fresh new fields of ineptitude. Humber, this seems like a serious limitation on your behalf, and in fact on behalf of your whole thought process. If you are not careful, you will run out of wrong, then again, I don't suppose you will notice.
 
I'm afraid I'm with Greg on this one.

There is something about someone being wrong and arrogant about it that pushes too many of my buttons to be healthy!

Whilst the thread has indeed thrown up some interesting discussions and everyone save one person has probably learned something (I know I have- STILL no-one has attributed THAT Pythonism!!), dealing with not only Humber's errors, but the shear inability to deal with other (more correct!!) viewpoints respectfully means I can't help but include jibes with my responses. Humber is justified in responding in kind, so it all goes downhill from there.

Poking the bear to elicit dumb responses was fun for a while, but it exceeds my frustration levels when the responses are not only clearly wrong, but smug with it!!

Happy to interact and learn from you all, but I'm through feeding Humbers phycosis!
 
I am not sure now what he is calling it, micro lift maybe, but Gary Osaba has talked a lot about flying is micro light sailplane by using horizontal wind shears, gusts, to gain or at least not loose altitude. The method is to speed up (to zero g I believe) sometimes and pull up sometimes (I am not sure about the technique...)
 
It has momentum. That is all that it needs to know. If you always need to add 'relative to' before accepting that it can be moving, then you are denying that object's independent existence.

Principle of relativity:

"...it is always impossible to tell whether one of us is "really" moving or not; all we can speak about is our motion relative to each other. In other words, all motion is relative to something else (which is then the inertial frame of reference). So for convenience, we can always just insist that any one observer is still (she is then the "frame of reference") and all others are in motion relative to her. This is known as the Principle of Relativity. Another way to think about this is to imagine that there are only two objects in the universe, and they are moving relative to one another: in this situation it is more clearly impossible to say which object is moving."

(see http://3quarksdaily.blogs.com/3quarksdaily/2005/06/monday_musing_s.html)

No, the balloon needs only to get enough lift, or force to drive it. The mass/area ratio is important, but making the gas less dense than air is not necessary to staying aloft in a moving wind.

"Balloons and airships are lighter-than-air (LTA), and fly because they are buoyant, which is to say that the total weight of the aircraft is less than the weight of the air it displaces."

(see http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Lighter_than_air/LTA-OV.htm)

If you can really keep a heavier-than-air balloon aloft in the wind, don't waste your time discussing it with us. Show the world. It's never been done before: fame and fortune will be yours.
 
Then they are right. That object will be carried forward by its momentum. If ti looses no energy, then it will continue at the same velocity. If not, and it looses energy to friction, then it will slow, and come to a stop when all of the KE is dissipated.
It was difficult to phrase that, but you missed the second part of the statement. What you are proposing is that in one scenario, momentum (you've been corrected on it being KE) carries an object forward in a way that makes the translation from one frame of reference to another, or one scenario to another, unequal, and hence the kites or whatever they are land at different times or at different distances from the person. OTOH, as usual, you seem to have been vague and not answered the two questions specifically or clearly.

It has momentum. That is all that it needs to know. If you always need to add 'relative to' before accepting that it can be moving, then you are denying that object's independent existence.
No. I am denying it's independent velocity, AGAIN.

Then that object can't exist.


Fiction. A story about an imaginary object.
Like I said, your imagination is weak. In order to understand mechanics, we consider simplified systems, in which many forces and conditions are ignored. As we isolate the forces we are studying, we learn how those components affect a more complex system. Then we can add the complications together, combine forces that we studied separately, and understand the complex equations that describe everything happening in a real-life situation. Unless you have the imagination to suppose that something has no mass, or arbitrary mass, or no drag, or infinite this 'n that, you have no chance. In fact what you do is confuse simple issues before you've understood them, because you add any old complication you can find in the hope that you'll get your favourite answer.

E.g. of another thought experiment: If the object is considered weightless as well as dragless, we can still predict the result from orthodox mechanics. A person holding the object motionless on a windy day will let go to find that it does not move, but sits there in mid-air next to their hand; the person on a bike or treadmill or whatever will find that the kite, balloon or rabbit with no mass or drag will also remain motionless after they let go, w.r.t. their hand. This is isolating the component that you seem to say will cause the "moving" object to move differently - momentum or KE - to kind of outpace the other when they both respond to the drag of the air.

By removing the drag, we can see what happens. With respect to the person, there is no difference in velocity, momentum or KE of such a body. Now, when you put the drag back, or the gravity, those still cause the same effect on the same body. The drag is not linearly proportional to velocity, but it is the velocity relative to the air, and that is identical. Gravitational acceleration of the masses, well I hope even you can see that they won't be different, for identical masses.

It is a mistake to think of momentum as something altogether different from inertia. Inertia is just momentum when the velocity of something is zero, and, as usual, velocity is relative. Hence the stationary object w.r.t. the earth is doing just the same as the one that continues to travel along with the bike rider after he lets go. If we take one velocity as our datum, then one object has non-zero velocity and momentum, the other zero velocity and inertia, if we take the other velocity as our datum, the opposite is true, or we can choose any other datum, in which both must have velocity and momentum.

In order to make your argument work, it seems to me you have to explain why there is a special velocity (which always seems to be that of the surface of the earth where you are doing your 'experiments') that is the correct datum, because that is all that gives the "motion" and the "momentum" and the "kinetic energy" to objects moving with respect to it. You haven't done so yet. With your usual grasp of logic, you have turned this round to demand that your Earth frame is equal to others and therefore adequate, so ner, you're not changing it, and demanded we tell you what's wrong with it. There's nothing wrong with it except it keeps you stuck in one frame, (and the 1650s), and missing the more Enlightened and predictively useful view. The Earth frame keeps making you make intuitive and mathematical errors, as you demonstrate every single day here. You could do it all from that frame if you like, but you have to get it right.

What is so pathetic is that your arguments are almost exactly like those people must have made hundreds of years ago when these principles - these REALITIES - were discovered. They said, "No, it can't be. Do I look like I'm racing through space at fantastic speeds?!". They stamped on the ground to demonstrate how motionless it is.
 
Last edited:
The kite can travel less than windspeed.
The usual way they gain lift, yes.

So aircraft fall out of the sky at windpeed?
Most of them, yes. Not absolutely immediately, but PDQ. Not helicopters or VTOLs. But yeah, that's the funny thing about the way a wing works. It gains lift by moving relative to the air. That's why we have such long runways.

OTOH, they can fly, take off and land satisfactorily when completely stationary w.r.t. the ground in a fast enough wind. Pilots generally use the ground-windspeed to help takeoffs and landings.

Oh sweet mother of Galileo.
 
Principle of relativity:

"...it is always impossible to tell whether one of us is "really" moving or not; all we can speak about is our motion relative to each other. In other words, all motion is relative to something else (which is then the inertial frame of reference). So for convenience, we can always just insist that any one observer is still (she is then the "frame of reference") and all others are in motion relative to her. This is known as the Principle of Relativity. Another way to think about this is to imagine that there are only two objects in the universe, and they are moving relative to one another: in this situation it is more clearly impossible to say which object is moving."

(see http://3quarksdaily.blogs.com/3quarksdaily/2005/06/monday_musing_s.html)



"Balloons and airships are lighter-than-air (LTA), and fly because they are buoyant, which is to say that the total weight of the aircraft is less than the weight of the air it displaces."

(see http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Lighter_than_air/LTA-OV.htm)

If you can really keep a heavier-than-air balloon aloft in the wind, don't waste your time discussing it with us. Show the world. It's never been done before: fame and fortune will be yours.
Those are great quotes, Michael. Thanks. I just want to 'relativize' that last bit. These words all depend on our definitions, and there are indeed heavier than air balloons that fly, if you define a ballloon in a certain way. We can fly by using lift - which is to overcome weight - so we can use a bit of both technologies together.

There are planes that are partially filled with helium to reduce their weight significantly, while still being heavier than air. They then gain lift in one of the conventional ways to oppose the remaining weight. Is that a balloon or a plane? It's not a lighter-than-air machine, certainly, but often they have large volumes of lighter-than-air gas, making them rather fat and balloon-like.

Anyway, humberverse is getting weirder. Humber first started mixing up balloons with his kites, I thought just as simple typos after talking about balloons. Now it actually seems he thinks LTA balloons only fly by getting lift and planes (and kites?) don't fall out the sky at windspeed. :boggled:
 
@Dan: I think with sockpuppetry you have to take intent and results into account. Also, how can you possibly stop it when well done? Even a novice could get a friend to log on as say ‘humb,’ then just send him the comments to be posted. There are 2 users, each with one account, so would that be a violation of site rules?
You argue like humber. I agree with Dan's response. "You can't stop it happening", is a poor reason to decriminalise something. The forum is a place where there are guidelines and order. It's not perfect, but that's how it is and that gives it many advantages. If you want to play silly-beggars on forums where you can be any number of people at once and have damn-fool conversations with yourself for the entertainment, not caring what effect that has on trust and understanding or scientific education, do it somewhere else. Discussions here - I feel James Randi would agree if we asked - should have a basis in honesty, and I don't consider sock puppetry an aid to that.

Look at all the detailed explanations humber has elicited. I think part of why this thread has so many views is because of all the interesting facts that are revealed in showing how and why humbers assertions are wrong. So whether humb, humber, and spork are 3 separate people or 1, some delightful learning as entertainment has been the result so what harm was done?
Discovering benefits of a behaviour do not automatically suggest that we embrace it or ignore it, or we could support doing experiments on unwilling humans for the benefits to others.

Change my vote to ‘certain this guy knows a LOT about physics and is using it to see how long he keep some very bright people assiduously refuting his faux conjectures. I still can’t believe how well he’s pulled it off!
You might say that, but it might also be 'faux'. See how helpful it is when we don't know who each other is? I think I'll ignore you and just deal with humber.

So ask yourself; could he really be that stupid/ignorant and keep a virtual cadre of very bright and knowledgeable people engaged over such a long period of time?
Yes.

John came closest-IMHO-to nailing his technique with his ‘ask Lizzie’ post, while CORed gave the most succinct rebuttal/synopsis here. Yet he continues, and if you’re honest you’d be disappointed if he stopped.
You assume (a little like humber assumes things) that you understood my 'ask Lizzie' post. It was not meant to 'nail his technique'. It was a reference to something I said long ago, that humber would fail the Turing test (which I nicked off someone else). You seem to mistake the pseudo-random deterministic replies of a primitive computer program churning out stock phrases with no memory or understanding, following one-dimentional parsing, as demonstrating humber's technique. I think humber is more intelligent than Eliza. Maybe he's one of the new X5000 models with built-in obfuscation routines. Certainly his program seems to have a top-down structure where "all my output so far = true" is the primary equation, and bugger the maths.

@hum-humber:
Hardly likely to be the same person, one deliberately making fun of how pointlessly banal, inconsistent and mindless the other is. Much more likely that a sock puppet would back up the main character, surely?

I am in awe of you dude.
If that's humber you're talking about, isn't that embarrassing to admit? Disbelief, yes. Awe?

Keep those insights coming! I think you’ve pulled something off here of epic proportions, be you an undiscovered genius about to revolutionize physics or a world class prankster.
And you do mean humber...and what, you can't tell the difference? "Airplanes don't fall out the sky at windspeed". We can do without that kind of genius. Remind me never to get on an airplane, just in case he actually has worked on the LCDs.

The Carlos Castaneda of aerodynamics? A Yaqui way of maths? ( And for those who think Carlos never proved any of his magic was real, remember he did turn all the dons of the UCLA anthropology department into jackasses)
Very humberesque - fooling someone = true magic. [Edit: personal remark removed; my apologies.]

The Carlos Castanedas of this world, like the von Danikens and humbers, sometimes make a name for themselves for a while (although mostly they don't), but eventually it's not a good one. How much they lie, and how much they just get wrong innocently, is academic.

ETA: That's odd, I keep having to delete rogue code out your posts, rec-prop.
 
Last edited:
Humber:

What are the necessary and sufficient conditions for a "wind" to be "real" according to you?

Please try for a precise and complete definition, because without that, most of what you have said previously could easily and maliciously be interpreted as just so much hot air.

Clive, I'd like to add another word to your request for definition as per humber: windspeed, with all the letters included as leaving out the occasional letter can change the meaning drastically (windpeed = rain?).
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom