I am not making any mistakes, Mender.
That I can find as many exceptions as I wish, is a failure of the treadmill.
That you keep trying to find exceptions rather than understand the truth is a failure of your integrity.
I am not making any mistakes, Mender.
That I can find as many exceptions as I wish, is a failure of the treadmill.
Change my vote to ‘certain this guy knows a LOT about physics and is using it to see how long he keep some very bright people assiduously refuting his faux conjectures.
I surmised that you thought you had a loaded pistol, when you unnecessarily asked for direct answers to your questions. But you see....Hey, check it out, gang! humber actually answered a question! Good show! You're making progress! Let's see how he did:
No, the wind will provide lift to keep the balloon aloft. For an aeronautical engineer, you do seem to see little potential for your science.Wrong! Same time to the ground.
No, the cyclist can increase the distance indefinitely. He is not on a belt, but on the ground, and can travel relative to the balloon after it hits the ground. That's a problem for you. If there is no string, the balloon will stay in place on the ground, but move away from the observer when on the belt.Wrong! Well, the statement could be considered true, but it isn't what I asked. I asked which will be the greatest distance from its owner. The Nebraska kite will travel further as seen by an observer stationary on the ground, but that will be matched by the distance that the bicycle travels in Kansas.
Well, I will certainly need to check your assumptions there, jjcote, but it's worse for you. Kites are aircraft. They do not need string to fly.(And yes, they were kites, not balloons. If they were balloons that were on strings well above the kids' heads, then they would presumably float upward when released, which is an entirely different situation.)
Yes, I know, but that denies you saying anything about the treadmill. perhaps we sometime we will get around to interstate ballooning.That is quite true. But not at all relevant to the question that I asked, which was only about what happens before the kites hit the ground.
Surely you don't need help?Anybody know what this means?
Or this?
I think I'm swinging towards the prophets point of view.
I just can't imagine anyone being as consistently wrong as Humber based on ignorance alone -- it has taken effort and education to be that wrong.
JB
Whilst agreeing that Humber is wrong, I'm not sure I agree entirely with the above statement "in the absence of any type of vertical current, "Gliding" necessarily involves the loss of height". I suppose it depends on your definition of 'gliding' but one of the interesting things to have become apparent lately in the world of gliding is that it is perfectly feasible to stay aloft using only horizontal gradient difference (see 'dynamic soaring'). In fact it is the same sort of energy difference extraction as this whole topic is really about. Please don't tell Humber, I'd hate to introduce yet another concept for him to be completely unable to comprehend using his flawed thinking methods.
He will see no motion while the KITE (not balloon!) is tethered, and he will see it moving AWAY from him when released, exactly as in the "real wind" scenario.(1) The belt observer will see it ( motion w.r.t to the balloon), unless you think that the balloon becomes invisible when released.
The KITE will see no motion while tethered to the kite-flyer, and will see the kite-flyer moving AWAY from it when released, exactly as in the "real wind" scenario.(2) The balloon observer will see if for the same reason. (otion w.r.t to the belt observer)
(This must be true, if for no other reason than the air is common to belt and balloon)
Not sure what you mean here, but a "ground" observer would see the kite fall essentially straight down (subject to the vagaries of turbulence, etc.) while the kite-flyer moved farther away on the treadmill, thus increasing the kite-flyer's distance from the kite, exactly as in the "real wind" scenario.The treadmill observer can see both the balloon and the observer, so he will see that motion as relative motion between observer and balloon, giving the same result as in (1) and (2).
The distance from the kite-flyer to the kite after release is larger, in every case. The kite is tethered to him initially (i.e., not moving closer or farther, but kept at a constant distance), then when released, that distance increases until the kite hits the belt.It is not necessary to define the motion as towards the observer, but that the (relative) difference is smaller or larger.
It can drive it horizontally, yes, and even temporarily provide lift until the kite reaches wind speed, but there's that tricky gravity thing going on.the real wind is a continuous source of energy that can provide lift, and the force to drive the balloon along with it
I'm open to your proposal for such a test.A test using a device that relied solely on aerodynamic lift would show an even greater difference, I suspect.
As everyone here but you realizes, it is for precisely that reason that the KITE cannot stay aloft indefinitely. Lift can only be provided while there is relative motion of the air with respect to the kite. As the kite is carried away with the wind, its velocity relative to the surrounding air falls to zero (i.e., it approaches wind speed), and there is no longer any lift that can be provided, so gravity wins. That acceleration to wind speed exactly mirrors the deceleration of the belt-drawn kite to motionlessness with respect to the "still air". As this occurs, the "wind-driven" kite loses altitude in precisely the same fashion that the belt kite does in still air (no big surprise, since it is travelling at the same speed as the surrounding air, which is therefore "still" from the kite's perspective.)Earlier, I had been assured that all wind-borne objects would reach windspeed, but now it is doubted that even a balloon will stay aloft, at any speed.
And there it is.
Education means knowing there is so much more to teach. Wisdom is realizing this.
Hi Humber, first let me apologize for all the nasty things you have done to physics. The thing is, I am coming along in trying to understand "real" wind, but I have a problem. There is no wind, and I have a sailboat. I really need to cross the river and it is too dangerous to swim because there is a strong current. Some people have told me that its ok, I will still be able to sail across. But Humber, can I trust this "artificial" current created wind? Please Humber, please let me know how to recognize the real wind. If I use the artificial stuff, will the other side of the river become artificial too?
He will see no motion while the KITE (not balloon!) is tethered, and he will see it moving AWAY from him when released, exactly as in the "real wind" scenario.
[/QUOTE[
No, the average veloicty, kit or balloon will be in the direction of the observer. It will definitely continue in the direction that is is going at release.
That is a fact.
Balloon or kite. No slower than the real wind. There is motion towards the observer while there is KE. There is no motion towards a wind observer at all.The KITE will see no motion while tethered to the kite-flyer, and will see the kite-flyer moving AWAY from it when released, exactly as in the "real wind" scenario.
That is a fact.
Balloon or kite, there is motion towards the observer while there is KE. There is no motion at all towards a wind observer.Not sure what you mean here, but a "ground" observer would see the kite fall essentially straight down (subject to the vagaries of turbulence, etc.) while the kite-flyer moved farther away on the treadmill, thus increasing the kite-flyer's distance from the kite, exactly as in the "real wind" scenario.
That is a fact.
Balloon or kite, there is motion towards the observer while there is KE. There is no motion at all towards a wind observer.The distance from the kite-flyer to the kite after release is larger, in every case. The kite is tethered to him initially (i.e., not moving closer or farther, but kept at a constant distance), then when released, that distance increases until the kite hits the belt.
That is a fact.
Kites are aircraft and can fly. Balloons can be lighter than air.It can drive it horizontally, yes, and even temporarily provide lift until the kite reaches wind speed, but there's that tricky gravity thing going on.
Windk Kites can stay aloft longer than on the treadmill. They can be made to fly without stings.I'm open to your proposal for such a test.
As everyone here but you realizes, it is for precisely that reason that the KITE cannot stay aloft indefinitely.
That's called wind.Lift can only be provided while there is relative motion of the air with respect to the kite.
The kite can travel less than windspeed.As the kite is carried away with the wind, its velocity relative to the surrounding air falls to zero (i.e., it approaches wind speed), and there is no longer any lift that can be provided, so gravity wins.
So aircraft fall out of the sky at windpeed?
That acceleration to wind speed exactly mirrors
I thought you said there was no motion towards the observer.the deceleration of the belt-drawn kite to motionlessness with respect to the "still air".
The acceleration is proportional to the wind velocity and force, wheres the balloon's deceleration is not, because that is motion through still air.
Anyway, you now have to agree that there is a difference in the observations.
Not the same, and also contradicts your first remarks.As this occurs, the "wind-driven" kite loses altitude in precisely the same fashion that the belt kite does in still air (no big surprise, since it is travelling at the same speed as the surrounding air, which is therefore "still" from the kite's perspective.)
This post is wrong, and inconsistent.I have long since abandoned hope of you understanding this, no matter how clearly it is explained, but I do find the exercise somewhat helpful. I still anxiously await your demonstration of an untethered, heavier-than-air object that can be kept aloft indefinitely in a horizontal wind.
No need; make them lighter than air. I have already posted that test.
Reader's Digest?
I still can't help thinking that still air is perhaps quite different from moving air.
Absolutely!So aircraft fall out of the sky at windpeed?
By the way, while you're thinking about that, I have another question, about this mysterious lift that you claim affects balloons when it's windy: some balloons (some weather balloons in particular) are spherical. Does this lift that you speak of affect them?Assuming no thermals, can a glider stay in the air over a flat landscape for longer on a calm day or a windy day? And on the windy day, does it matter which direction the glider flies?
“It's curious that you can't find one single sole on or off this forum that would backup any of your ridiculously contrived interpretations of physics.”
My guess is cup holders.
So aircraft fall out of the sky at windpeed?
@Dan: I think with sockpuppetry you have to take intent and results into account.
Also, how can you possibly stop it when well done? Even a novice could get a friend to log on as say ‘humb,’ then just send him the comments to be posted. There are[i/] 2 users, each with one account, so would that be a violation of site rules?
So ask yourself; could he really be that stupid/ignorant and keep a virtual cadre of very bright and knowledgeable people engaged over such a long period of time?
C'mon humber; tell 'em the truth! The real answer, to treadmills with bunnies propelled by differential pressure, moving in a direction opposite to the wind; gliders on calm or windy days, perpetual lift, and EVERYTHING….IS…42.