Forget the electrical metaphor, humber. Give me a mechanical law that is equivalent to the max power theorem or drop it.
Yeah, sure, fine.
woah woah woah.
What do you mean a
"real" power source? Are you telling me if I have a weight lifted up vertically with potential energy of 50 joules, I'll only be able to extract 25 joules from that weight, because your maximum power theorem for electricity says so?
The maximum efficiency I can convert energy is 50%? Is that what your electrical metaphor is saying?
ait, wait, wait.
You're telling me, that if I have some source of power, that's "real" power, what "real" power means in your vocabulary I have no idea, but if I have a source of this so called "real" power, then only half of that power can be converted into doing work? The rest must be lost as heat?
So, if I have something like, say, a hydroelectric dam that spins a turbine connected to a generator, if I calculate the energy I get from lowering a certain mass of water from some height, I can only get, at most, HALF of that energy converted into some mechanical energy like spinning a turbine, because your maximum power theorem from electrical engineering says so?
Say I have 1 kilogram of water, and it's 1 meter above the turbine outlet of the dam. Then that water would have m*g*h = 9.8 joules of potential energy, right? And you're saying that if I drop that 1 kilogram of water by 1 meter, teh most I can extract from that would be 4.9 joules?
You're saying if I have a mass of air, say 1 kilogram, and it's moving at a velocity of 1 meter per second over the ground, then the kinetic energy of that air would be 0.5 *m*v*v = 0.5 joules, and you're saying the most energy I could extract from that air would be 0.25 joules becaue the maximum power theorem, a theorem for calculating the best electrical impedance for an analog electrical circuit, says so?
As far as the entire USA is concerned,oOnly 13% of all the energy available from the source, ever does useful work.
The cart works off of the difference between air and ground. Some carts float and work off the difference between air and water. so, if you want to support your max power theorem argument, I have one question for you: How do these cart-related sources of power (earth, air, water), these "real" sources of power, behave such that when we look at the power transfer, we find that "50% goes in the load and 50% is lost in the load when maximum power transfer occurs. A law of nature"
I can support my argument that you're totally wrong with a few simple examples: a pendulum converts potential energy to kinetic back to potential energy back to kinetic energy without any loss of power during the conversion.A newton's cradle transfers energy from one sphere to another with almost no loss of energy.
Billiard balls collide, transferring almost all the energy from one ball to another. head on shots can have the cue ball come to a complete halt and whatever ball it hit take on all the speed. Of all the physics tests that I've seen that deal with collisions, I've never seen one say "reduce the kinetic energy of the incoming object by 50% to account for the max power theorem, that will be the maximum energy that can be transferred to the object it is about to collide with".