I wasn't going to post on this thread, for various reasons, but I feel after reading the initial exchange between PhantomWolf and Fiona, that I should.
Since joining this forum I have learned quite a lot about foreign societies, and the thing that has struck me the most is how thoroughly different these various western nations is. A lot of the conflict and disagreement on these forums seems to stem from people arguing from the position of their own societies, and blindly assuming it's the same everywhere.
PhantomWolf is a New Zealander, and much of what he is saying about society attitudes rings true with me. Much of what the others are saying does not.
I think this is a social difference. It doesn't surprise me at all. New Zealand is probably one of the most socially advanced nations in the world. In a time when slavery was still legal in the US, we refused to join the Australian Federation because it would have meant taking the vote away from Maori. We were the first nation in the world to give women the vote. We are one of the first nations in the world to give homosexual relationships identical legal status to married couples.
New Zealand also has a phenomenal track record of success with public education campaigns to address problems. This is probably due partially to our small population. Examples include the campaign to get cyclists wearing helmets, and the anti cot-death campaign to get parents to lie babies on their back. Both of these campaigns had substantial results within a few years in preventing incidents, and compliance skyrocketed.
The relevance here is that in the last few years New Zealand has had a thorough and pervasive campaign addressing violence against women. I say violence against women, not domestic violence, because the campaign has been specifically targeted at female victims and male perpetrators. Like other campaigns, this has had an enormous impact on society - in the last calendar year reported incidents of domestic violence increased over 30%, and the increase is believe to be entirely a result of increased reporting, not increase incidents.
Keep all of that in mind when discussing these topics. It may well be that New Zealand is in a very different place, socially, to your own nation.
Now I don't want to address much of the issues that have been raised here. I've said all I want to say in the other threads, and I think my views on violence, sexual assault, and false reporting, are pretty clear.
What I want to do is address a question in the OP as to whether males have changed their behaviour due to perceptions on this issue.
I can say, unequivocally, that the answer is a big yes.
In my society, as a young male, the spectre of being falsely accused of a sexual crime looms heavy over my head. I am distinctly aware that any woman has enormous power over me because, almost without exception, she will be believed.
When I was back in high school, there was a guy in my year who have a rape allegation laid against him by a girl who went to a different school. I wasn't friends with this guy, but as happens in a school, word spread quickly, and what occurred really surprised me. This guy naturally claimed it was consensual - his version of events was the girl's father found out about the incident and she cried rape so he wasn't upset that his 16 year old was having sex.
Before any details came out, everyone in the school assumed he was a rapist - including even his quite close friends. He was completely ostracised by the school. To this day, ten years later, if his name comes up, my friends will refer to him as "the rapist".
Maybe he was a rapist. We'll never know because the charges were dropped, and neither me nor any of my friends really knew the guy, and none of us have ever even met the girl. But even at that young age, when social responsibility hasn't kicked in, the assumption was that the girl was right and the guy was wrong.
A rape accusation is a very real weapon in my society because the crime carries such a dark connotation (much worse than murder) and because it is almost always believed simply on the word of the accuser. A conviction, and even a trial, is unnecessary, because once the accusation is made you'll be condemned for the rest of your life - even by your own friends. And there is a shocking double standard here, when it comes to gender and sexual behaviour.
A few years ago, two of our friends were together, and the guy cheated on the girl with someone else. Myself and my friends were outraged, understandably, and that guy was essentially kicked out of our social circle - I haven't seen him since. Earlier this year, a similar incident happened with two other friends. The only difference were that this time the couple had a young baby, and it was the woman that did the cheating. No outrage has followed. In fact, most of my friends encouraged the guy to get back with the woman, despite the fact that he made it clear he felt betrayed and sick, and wasn't interested.
When one of us raised the fact that they weren't happy with everyone remaining friends with this cheating woman, they were told "she's still our friend, so deal with it".
Now, obviously cheating on someone is not a crime, but it's considered "wrong" behaviour, and the example illustrates how differently attitudes are towards female victims and male perpetrators as opposed to male victims and female perpetrators.
So how does the spectre of this affect my behaviour? I won't be proactive or forceful in any relations with a female, no matter what. The risk is so great if I get anything wrong, I won't move an inch unless I get very clear signals. The problem with this is of course that signals in the dating game are usually as clear as mud, so I just never make a move. Further, if anything could be seen to be affecting the girl's judgment, even clear signals would be ignored. She's been drinking (even just a little)? Maybe she doesn't mean it. She's upset about something? Maybe she doesn't mean it. Once you remove incidents with alcohol and incidents with extreme emotion, there aren't many other opportunities left for a young guy to make a romantic connection with a young girl. I have never asked a girl out. Ever. For twenty years of my life I was single and alone because of this.
Even now, in a serious long-term relationship, our intimacy suffers at times because I am always mindful of not making the first move. Even though my girlfriend will explicitly tell me she likes it when I'm more forceful - that it turns her on - I can't do it, because as soon as I start to go to that place I wonder if I'm being a rapist. I doubt any women here can even begin to understand how that feels, and perhaps most of the guys can't either. It's awful. It's horrible, soul destroying, and even just talking about it makes me exceedingly uncomfortable.
As I write this, I'm already imagining the scornful, mocking, insulting or disbelieving responses I except to receive, and all I want to do is close the window and post nothing. But if even one other guy feels how I do and is too embarrassed or uncomfortable to admit it, this post is worth it.
Society has so thoroughly hammered it into my head that men are, by default, out of control, violent, raping pigs, that I even sometimes begin to believe it about myself, despite knowing I'm the very antithesis of that description.
So yes, it does affect the way males live their lives.