Francesca R
Girl
I suspect your credibility is comprehensively shredded anyway, even without you continuing to advertise it here--so it matters little whether it is moved or not.I hope this post will not be moved.
Thanks.
I suspect your credibility is comprehensively shredded anyway, even without you continuing to advertise it here--so it matters little whether it is moved or not.I hope this post will not be moved.
Thanks.
We are speaking about if a woman really gives her consent or not to a man who is coming unexpected in her bed, and we seem to forget that, in other parts of the world, thousands of women are getting raped and few seem to care.
I think this is a moral double standard.
Again, I hope this post will not be moved.
Thanks.
We are speaking about if a woman really gives her consent or not to a man who is coming unexpected in her bed, and we seem to forget that, in other parts of the world, thousands of women are getting raped and few seem to care.
I think this is a moral double standard.
Do I? Where? You are mixing me up with Yaffle.No. However you already claim to know that 97-98% of the men accused of rape are guilty before the case has got to court.
Do I? Where? You are mixing me up with Yaffle.
Meanwhile I have responded to a number of your points and you have ignored the responses (including questions), and you prefer to steer the subject back towards a theory that rape is significantly over reported and false convictions are commonplace.
Why? Why are you not satisfied that this is not what happens? Why are you trying to prove something fictitious?
Yes I know how strong the myth is. The truth is ugly. Testimony to that is the disproportional effort one can see to locate any evidence that makes it less horrific than it is (by introducing and then playing-up false reports and false convictions, as a "balancing" piece of ugliness), and via a large amount of focus on the real, but frankly by comparison rare-almost-to-the-point-of-negligible, existence of female-on-male rape and the more severely damaging attitudes that prevail about this.I personally did not realise the strength of this myth for a long time, as I have said. It is to be expected that it will not be given up easily or lightly.
Yes I know how strong the myth is. The truth is ugly. Testimony to that is the disproportional effort one can see to locate any evidence that makes it less horrific than it is (by introducing and then playing-up false reports and false convictions, as a "balancing" piece of ugliness), and via a large amount of focus on the real, but frankly by comparison rare-almost-to-the-point-of-negligible, existence of female-on-male rape and the more severely damaging attitudes that prevail about this.
Thankfully though, the kind of horrendous attitude expressed in a post that was excised from the thread--that women who did not want to be raped should basically keep their legs shut--is hardly ever seen in my experience.
Assuredly it does make the fear less. I cannot fathom why some people are still trying to say otherwise. I guarantee that the typical woman is more in fear, in more aspects of her daily life, of rape by a man than the typical man is in fear of rape by a woman.I'm sorry, but nothing about it being rare makes it any less horrific. The horror happens to a smaller number of people, but that doesn't make the fear any less.
No, I am saying exactly what I said. The typical woman fears rape/sexual attack in a lot of everyday situations. It modifies her behaviour a lot of the time. And it is present a lot of the time. In each of the above, "a lot" means massively more than is the case for the typical man fearing rape/sexual assault from a woman. (Also more--if not "massively more"--than the typical man fears it from another man).What you are saying is that the typical woman is more concerned with rape, that more women are in fear. The level of fear, when fear is present, is what I was suggesting is more equal that you'd believe.
All I can say is this is what juries do, and that I think you are being overly simplistic about it to reach your implicit conclusion that is it not possible. And it's not "who you believe", it is "do you believe the prosecution case beyond reasonable doubt"? If not, no conviction. But I think you introduce an unnecessary and very damaging impediment to justice with your notion that a trial should be cancelled if witness testimony is all there is. As I have said, that is just not the way such evidence is viewed in the legal world. It seems to be a misguided idea born of likening it to analytical science. Social justice is not science.If I'm presented with two equally plausible accounts from a woman and a man of how they ended up having sex, there is nothing unusual or irregular in either story to explain and no other evidence to support one version of events more than another, how am I supposed to decide who is telling the truth beyond reasonable doubt?
Of course I am not. (I don't know where you got that idea from).It seems you want juries to be made aware of the prior probability of women who claim they have been raped and go to court that are telling the truth (and by implication the probability of men lying).
I can't do that--I am logged in from my phone and it is a cut down version of the forum so that's hard. (I don't think I have very many long posts in this).Francesca,
I'm sorry if I have not responded to all your points. When they are buried in text I often miss them, especially if I'm at work. If you could C&P the questions into a single post I'll do my best to answer.
No, I am saying exactly what I said. The typical woman fears rape/sexual attack in a lot of everyday situations. It modifies her behaviour a lot of the time. And it is present a lot of the time. In each of the above, "a lot" means massively more than is the case for the typical man fearing rape/sexual assault from a woman. (Also more--if not "massively more"--than the typical man fears it from another man).
<snip>
But I think you introduce an unnecessary and very damaging impediment to justice with your notion that a trial should be cancelled if witness testimony is all there is.
<snip>
No disrespect taken. But we know a lot about the typical man and woman because there is a lot of data about them, extensively gathered by all kinds of social scientists. How else would I know?I don't mean any disrespect, but how exactly do you know what the typical man is afraid of and how he modifies his behavior because of it? How do you know how the typical woman feels?