• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Why the long waits to vote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes - that's pretty much what the opening sentence in the opening post is talking about "I don't understand all these TV pictures of people queueing for four hours and more to vote. And this, days before the official polling day?"

Why would you assume that Claus has read the OP? I usually get the impression that he jumps in partway through a thread wihout bothering to read more than a couple of posts before him.

I too have been amazed at the accounts of queues at polling stations. I have never had to wait more than a minute or so to vote. Has anyone ever bothered to suggest that the system in the US could be improved, by looking at the ways that other countries do it? Or is it just accepted because that is the way you have always done it?
 
I've just dropped an email to one of the people I know to check that I'm not recalling what they said wrong.

Hmmm pretty quick response to an email, I suspect someone is not very busy at work at the moment, they work for the local council ....

Anyway it appears that I was totally wrong, since I got back (paraphrased) "Oh yes we got a token fee but it wasn't really pay it just covered you getting to the polling station and a bit left over for a few drinks in the pub".
 
A wee bit early to predict longer lines because of this - hm?

Any evidence that "(e)arly voting is only now becoming a popular alternative"? That, "in the past, many feared it. Also, it wasn't well advertised. This year, it was highly advertised"?

Any evidence of "(p)oor placement of early voting stations"?

Any evidence of "(t)he length of the ballot"?

It seems that a whole lot of evidence is claimed, even though the election is still taking place.

What the hell is going on here?

This seems to me as if this election was rigged in advance. Because, how else could one claim any of the above?

Hey, I'm just asking. Come what may.

We have early voting. We were allowed to vote all last week at a variety of polling stations. I went to the polling place closest to my house (not my normal voting precinct) gave the woman my drivers license and she pulled up my electronic ballot on the touch screen voting machine, and below is a copy of all the races that appeared on my ballot. During early voting it was permitted to register and vote at the same place on the same day. Today, November 4th, the actual election day you must vote at the precinct at which you are preregistered.
http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/NC/Forsyth/7979/11838/en/summary.html
As far as the rest of the evidence you request, it has been all over the US news for the last week and should be easy to find.
 
Last edited:
Eh.....what?

There are voting stations open on days other than voting day?

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_poll

A wee bit early to predict longer lines because of this - hm?

Not necessarily. Increased voter registration (indeed record levels) would suggest that it was reasonable to suggest there might be increased voter turnout.

Any evidence that "(e)arly voting is only now becoming a popular alternative"?

Depends what you mean by "popular" and "becoming". It is certainly large in number and percentage terms and apparently is at record levels this year.

http://voanews.com/english/2008-11-03-voa23.cfm

http://uk.reuters.com/article/UKNews1/idUKTRE4A01LJ20081101

Any evidence of "(t)he length of the ballot"?

It seems fairly common knowledge that it is not just a presidential election but covers a wide range of other elected positions, propositions etc. Are you disputing that?

This seems to me as if this election was rigged in advance. Because, how else could one claim any of the above?

Evidence?
 
population density


But that shouldn't make any difference! There should be a ratio of registered voters to polling places, or available voting machines, or little booths with curtains and a pencil, or however you do it, which should be constant no matter the population density.

This is not hard to arrange.

Rolfe.
 
finite resources.

in my area there is also the problem that employers are not required to give people time off to vote. this means nearly everyone goes at the same freakin' time.
 
Last edited:
Well call me lucky to know that Obama won in a county with 17 people in it!!!! I'm sure the only reason why we know he won is because there was 100% of people voting.
Fallacy of the image. You can't tell how complicated those ballots are by looking at how large the are because I had one of those ballots and it was really really really simplistic.
 
Last edited:
unfortunately, punching a lawyer will not register your vote.
 
My understanding is that in the US there are a lot more elected positions requiring votes plus votes on specific issues.
Yep, here's the ballot for my precinct: http://www2.chicagoelections.com/nov2008ballot/es158.pdf

My precinct and another precinct share the same polling place located in the back room of a Mexican restaurant. Strangely, there was no line for my precinct but a long line for the other one.

Same amount of machines for each one, go figure.
 
Staff "costs"? Those who oversee an election are paid? What a horrible idea!
The judges at each polling place don't get paid very much, probably works out to less than minimum wage. And they are from both major parties so they can keep an eye on each other.
 
Eh.....what?

There are voting stations open on days other than voting day?

A wee bit early to predict longer lines because of this - hm?

Any evidence that "(e)arly voting is only now becoming a popular alternative"? That, "in the past, many feared it. Also, it wasn't well advertised. This year, it was highly advertised"?

Any evidence of "(p)oor placement of early voting stations"?

Any evidence of "(t)he length of the ballot"?

It seems that a whole lot of evidence is claimed, even though the election is still taking place.

What the hell is going on here?

This seems to me as if this election was rigged in advance. Because, how else could one claim any of the above?

Hey, I'm just asking. Come what may.


Claus, for goodness sake! How about doing a bit of investigation for yourself before you mouth off?

The opportunity to vote in person in advance at the US elections has been widely publicised, including film of such voting broadcast on the BBC over the past few days. With people interviewed having stood for over four hours to vote. Which is what the OP was about, if you'd read it.

Given the fact that such early voting has been going on, and that the queues have demonstrably been very long, I think extrapolations about the possible length of queues today are not unreasonable. (Though I suppose one might also speculate that if many people managed to vote in advance, then that might diminish the queues today....)

Now, there are news items about the increasing popularity of early voting, and how attitudes are changing, and about the placement of the early polling stations. One poster here referred to these matters. So how about doing some research for yourself by looking for these articles and assessing their credibility for yourself, rather than simply firing off your standard "Evidence?" jibe.

The sheer amount of voting that has to be done (or at least may be done) is a matter of record. These guys vote for everyone from the President down to the dog-catcher. I saw election posters for all sorts of posts when I was in Michigan last month, including one exhorting the lieges to re-elect "Lawless" as Circuit Judge, and another (regarding a mayor) that said simply "Anyone but Virg!". I'd have thought anyone who had lived in the USA would be bound to know this.

Most of the above is totally uncontentious, and easily verifiable. How you can use this to assert that the election is "rigged in advance" I simply can't imagine.

My initial point was simply that it's extremely surprising that the US can't seem to organise voting in such a way that people can have confidence that they can turn up and vote, without having to set aside half a day for the process.

My supplementary point was that the option to choose which polling station you vote at might compromise security. Rapidly followed by some observations that voting security in Britain isn't exactly watertight either.

Now I have also heard some allegations that there are attempts at rigging going on. First we have the claim, supported above, that in some areas Democrat districts have too few voting machines per head while Republican districts have plenty.

Then there's the one about the official-looking notices in polling places stating that anyone with an outstanding warrant against their name will be arrested when they get to the front of the queue.

Then there's the one about the official-looking letters sent to voters in some areas saying that Republican voters should show up on 4th November but that Democrat voters should show up on 5th November.

Why not save some of that outrage for genuine areas of concern, rather than shouting "Evidence?" at people posting perfectly uncontentious and mostly easily verifiable information.

Rolfe.
 
My ballot was electronic and very simple. A big box next to each candidate and an arrow to the button. The last page gave a summary of what I voted and then I entered it. Wait was around 45 minutes with a line averaging 60 people and 3 voting machines. Republicans will probably win big here from what I saw, but that's normal north of Indianapolis.
 
My initial point was simply that it's extremely surprising that the US can't seem to organise voting in such a way that people can have confidence that they can turn up and vote, without having to set aside half a day for the process.
Just to be clear, the US does not run elections, that is the province of the individual states per the Constitution.
 
Well call me lucky to know that Obama won in a county with 17 people in it!!!! I'm sure the only reason why we know he won is because there was 100% of people voting.

Fallacy of the image. You can't tell how complicated those ballots are by looking at how large the are because I had one of those ballots and it was really really really simplistic.

Depends what you are comparing them to.

A typical UK general election is a single vote with a choice between maybe 6 candidates. All you do is mark one X, fold it and put it in the box. Compared to that, what is in the image IS complex.

See picture 6 for an example:

http://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/media/StepbyStepGuidetoVoting.pdf
 
Here's my experience in North Carolina: I registered in September, and received a voter registration card listing one specific location where I was to vote, if I voted on election day. However, for early voting you could vote at any early voting site in the County. Early voting was very popular, so more early voting sites were opened, and last week they extended the open hours of the existing early voting sites.

I voted early last week. I walked into the early voting site at around 6:00pm, and, while there were quite a few people there, I had no wait. I checked in with just my name and address, went to a second person to get my ballot, filled it out and left. The whole process probably took me 15 minutes. The ballot was fill-in-the-bubbles form, 1 page, front and back.
 
Depends what you are comparing them to.

A typical UK general election is a single vote with a choice between maybe 6 candidates. All you do is mark one X, fold it and put it in the box. Compared to that, what is in the image IS complex.

See picture 6 for an example:

http://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/media/StepbyStepGuidetoVoting.pdf

After the polls close the votes are counted and the results of the elections are declared.

Note the order....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom