It is primarely because only a small portion of voting stations are open for early voting. I heard numbers like 5% and the like on CNN. So everyone is funneled into one place. In cities there are voting places like every few blocks in new hampshire it seems, on election day. Plenty of room for everyone.
That's a reasonable reply, but as has been said already, we all saw pictures of some very long queues in 2004 on polling day itself, and people are already reporting long waiting times today. It certainly does suggest under-capacity.
This reply also raises another question. In Britain, you MUST vote at your designated polling station. This is an important feature in preventing personation or multiple voting. Your name is on the list there, and there alone, and will be crossed off when you have voted. So, can voters in the USA choose between several polling stations? Isn't this an open invitation to multiple voting? And doesn't it make it easier for personation to occur, as the real voter is less likely to be known by sight at all the places they may choose to vote?
This gets back to Claus's remark about polling staff being paid. I honestly don't know. Most of them seem to be retired, and it may be entirely voluntary, but I suspect a small honorarium is paid. I also imagine there will be costs relating to maintenance staff at polling places. Since the local polling place is usually the local primary school or a village hall, the chances are that most of the people voting will be known by sight to at least one of the polling staff or ancillary staff on duty, and to other voters present. However, if voters had a choice of 20 or more possible places to vote, then it would be much easier to pass unrecognised. (I voted in person on 3rd May 2007, having moved into my new house in the village - population about 1,200 - on 1st May. I got some
very old-fashioned looks. I gave my name and address, which was duly noted to be correct according to the list, and I'll just bet that the polling officials, who were local, knew exactly who I'd bought the house from and were well aware that there was a new resident in it.)
I'm still marvelling at the waiting times though. If I turned up at peak going-home-in-the-evening voting time to find a sizeable queue (you know, 15 minutes or so....), frankly I'd go home, have my tea, watch TV for a bit, and go back maybe nine-ish. Polls are open till 10pm, and are usually dead quiet by then, so there's no point in waiting if you are in a position to return later. The idea that I'd
better get in the queue for fear of not getting to the front of it before 10 just wouldn't cross my mind.
Rolfe.