• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Poll Vault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it be that the campaign will actually be decided on the debates? That would be great, not because I think Obama will win them (not sure he will) but because it'd be cool to decide it based on that rather than on some silly pseudo-scandal or some dishonest ad campaign.
 
Could it be that the campaign will actually be decided on the debates? That would be great, not because I think Obama will win them (not sure he will) but because it'd be cool to decide it based on that rather than on some silly pseudo-scandal or some dishonest ad campaign.

David, I think that the election will be decided on the debates.

The bad news, I think, is that there won't be some policy epiphany spouted by one of the candidates that tips the scales, it will likely be some sort of sound-bite pwning or a gaffe.
 
Please. Debates? They may switch a few people one way or another, but there will be plenty of sound bites, attack adds, gaffes, swiftboating, etc. before and after the debates. It is unlikely that they will be "make or break" unless there is a huge gaffe of the "no Russians in Poland" magnitude.
 
Rasmussen has McCain up by 1 today (48%-47%) ...

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...ial_election/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

So, the race is basically tied now as it was at the start of the Democratic National Convention (44%-44%), but the number of undecideds are much fewer now.

This is the third straight day Obama has been at 47% while McCain has dropped a point on each of the past two days. One week ago, the candidates were tied at 48%


Now that the Palin/convention bounce is behind us, we have the debates in front of us as possible critical moments for those undecideds (and those not firmly committed to either candidate). However, issues like the economy may begin to take a much larger spotlight, especially with the latest news, making it more difficult to attribute changes in the polls to any one thing.
 
Within the margin of error. So, as predicted, both convention bounces have faded and we're into the thick of the race. At least, according to Gallup.

Meh :cool:

I'm off to go phonebank for my Democratic congressional candidate now.

Btw, the latest from the Iowa Electronic Market:

Vote-share: Obama 52.1 McCain 48.5

WTA: Obama 55.2 McCain 46.0

Hmmm, InTrade has McCain up 51.9 to 46.5; sounds like people should buy Obama at InTrade and McCain at IEM. Of course, transaction fees at InTrade would probably eat up any arbitrage you could get. I strongly suspect, though I can't prove it right now, that the trading volume is much higher at InTrade.
 
Gallup also has McCain's lead down to 1.

Once that one-week mark passed (that is, a week after the RNC) every poll fell into a virtual tie (Newsweek has a tie, another tracking poll has Obama by 1, Gallup and Rasmussen have McCain up by 1).

As dead as a dead heat can be.
 
Hmmm, InTrade has McCain up 51.9 to 46.5; sounds like people should buy Obama at InTrade and McCain at IEM. Of course, transaction fees at InTrade would probably eat up any arbitrage you could get. I strongly suspect, though I can't prove it right now, that the trading volume is much higher at InTrade.


Is there any kind of trading limit at Intrade? I know that IEM has imposed a limit of $500 per trader so that no one person can dominate the market and cause big swings, which is why I tend to trust them more. I know of no such safeguards at Intrade.

In addition, I see that NewsFutures isn't following the Intrade trend, either. They currently have...

Obama 54%
McCain 46%

... which is consistent with IEM-WTA numbers.

I'm disturbed by this because up until about one week ago, I had been tracking all of these markets and they were relatively consistent and it gave me some sense of being able to trust them. But then suddenly Intrade had Obama dropping bigtime while McCain rose above 50%, yet there was no such drastic change at IEM. And the similar change that did occur over at NewsFutures seems to have corrected back to the current numbers.

What gives over at Intrade? Any ideas?
 
Btw, it seems that some polls are indicating that the new-candidate-shine is beginning to wear off Sarah Palin...

Palin's Favorability Ratings Begin to Falter

... The polls reflected the early success of her strategy. In the three days after Palin joined Team McCain--Aug. 29-31--32 percent of voters told the pollsters at Diageo/Hotline that they had a favorable opinion of her; most (48 percent) didn't know enough to say. (The Diageo/Hotline poll is conducted by Financial Dynamics opinion research; it's the only daily tracking poll to regularly publish approval ratings.) By Sept. 4, however, 43 percent of Diageo/Hotline respondents approved of Palin with only 25 percent disapproving--an 18-point split. Apparently, voters were liking what they were hearing. Four days later, Palin's approval rating had climbed to 47 percent (+17), and by Sept. 13 it had hit 52 percent. The gap at that point between her favorable and unfavorable numbers--22 percent--was larger than either McCain's (+20) or Obama's (+13).

But then a funny thing happened: Palin seems to have lost some of her luster. Since Sept. 13, Palin's unfavorables have climbed from 30 percent to 36 percent. Meanwhile, her favorables have slipped from 52 percent to 48 percent. That's a three-day net swing of -10 points, and it leaves her in the Sept. 15 Diageo/Hotline tracking poll tied for the smallest favorability split (+12)** of any of the Final Four. Over the course of a single weekend, in other words, Palin went from being the most popular White House hopeful to the least. ...


If this is the beginning of a trend, it doesn't bode well for the GOP. Time will tell.
 
Incidentally, if you know anyone who isn't sure they're registered to vote, wants to know more about voting absentee, or where their polling place is located, share this one-stop website with them...

Vote For Change

Full disclosure: It's a site run by Obama's campaign, so you'll likely get email from them. Does McCain have something similar to which GOP folk can go? If not, you can still get the relevant info from the Obama site, and you can just ignore the emails I suppose.
 
Gallup also has McCain's lead down to 1.

Once that one-week mark passed (that is, a week after the RNC) every poll fell into a virtual tie (Newsweek has a tie, another tracking poll has Obama by 1, Gallup and Rasmussen have McCain up by 1).

As dead as a dead heat can be.

About as I predicted, you will note.

Mr Randi, make that check payable to...
 
Mattus,

Good point.

The McCain website for registration is here.

Follow the "Action" drop down to get additional information.

Now that I look with fresh eyes, there is a voter registration link box on the regular McCain webpage too.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am a Republican, and John McCain did not approve this message.
 
Everybody should register to vote and Everybody should vote.

I disagree. Those who can't be bothered to learn about the candidates and issues should stay home. I routinely skip voting in elections for county clerk, etc. where I know nothing about the issues or the candidates running. Let those who think they can make an informed decision do so.
 
I disagree. Those who can't be bothered to learn about the candidates and issues should stay home. I routinely skip voting in elections for county clerk, etc. where I know nothing about the issues or the candidates running. Let those who think they can make an informed decision do so.

What about voter registration requiring the reading of a on-partisan pamphlet about the candidates and issues?

Not sure that you could make that work, more of a thought experiment about how to get folks better educated to make a good voting decision.
 
I think there should just be a simple informational pamphlet: "for Democrats, presidentail balloting will be held on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November. For Republicans, it will be held the following Thursday". ;)
 
My ugly bias has it that if Obama is not up by 5 points at the end of October, he's dead meat. Maybe even 10. Conclusion: McCain by ~7.
 
Actually, for those of us over here, it's dang near too late - we better already be registered if we're not in the US. The application, through the FVAP, to get your ballot in time has to already be en route if you plan to vote and BE SURE you get counted. They now have a "write-in" absentee ballot, which is actually an on-line form that you can fill out, sign, have witnessed(if necessary), and send back. This is to prevent any state officials from, say, deciding that there are too many Democrats in the Peace Corps or too many Republicans in the Armed Services and thus kinda sorta forget to send them their ballots in time.

If you're an American overseas, please, whatever side you're on in this one (and any election).... get registered and send in your application for your ballot now. If you're including a registration (first-time or renewal), PLEASE DO SO TODAY. You're right up against the deadline and you're running out of time.

(Except for Unsecured Coins, if you're reading.... you can just have your RFID scanned to vote, I think. :spjimlad::spjimlad:)
 
Reuters/Zogby has Obama up by 2:

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN1642854220080917

That seems to be an especially volatile poll, so once again I cast a suspicious eye on their "likely voter" voodoo.

Rasmussen still has McCain up by 1.

That "Hotline Diageo" poll that RCP includes how has Obama up by 4, but I've never heard of that operation so who knows. Only 900 in their sample size so I tend to disregard it.

http://www.diageohotlinepoll.com/documents/diageohotlinepoll/DiageoHotlineTracker091608release.pdf
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom