Well, as far as the poll goes, I voted Yes.
As I currently understand it, the process required by the party's rules, involving the Parliamentary Labour Party (PLP), the NEC and the 'grassroots' including the unions, is somewhat drawn out and relatively complicated, such that the 'putsch' situation faced by Thatcher is not comparable, thus even if Brown were faced with an outright leadership challenge right now, the process itself is likely to drag on into 2009. Of course, this brings into the equation the question of how Brown acquired the leadership of the PLP following Blair's effective resignation, but I'm not qualified to offer a judgement, aside from noting that Major did at least win a leadership election before assuming the post of Prime Minister.
FWIW, I'm a 'Small C' Conservative (that is, broadly libertarian) but suspect that Cameron offers nothing but more of the same.
Given the wider question of should the PLP ditch Brown, the answer has to be Yes; he lost control not only of events (dear boy) but even those events of his own making. Yet the PLP has no credible alternative to offer. The PLP has had it in the same sense as the Conservatives following Major's General Election defeat and the Labour party's defeat in '79. The biggest problem facing all of the three parties is determining the battleground for, at least, the elections following 2010 and 2015, which, I suspect, is where Davies has, at the very least, started digging the first trench.
As I currently understand it, the process required by the party's rules, involving the Parliamentary Labour Party (PLP), the NEC and the 'grassroots' including the unions, is somewhat drawn out and relatively complicated, such that the 'putsch' situation faced by Thatcher is not comparable, thus even if Brown were faced with an outright leadership challenge right now, the process itself is likely to drag on into 2009. Of course, this brings into the equation the question of how Brown acquired the leadership of the PLP following Blair's effective resignation, but I'm not qualified to offer a judgement, aside from noting that Major did at least win a leadership election before assuming the post of Prime Minister.
FWIW, I'm a 'Small C' Conservative (that is, broadly libertarian) but suspect that Cameron offers nothing but more of the same.
Given the wider question of should the PLP ditch Brown, the answer has to be Yes; he lost control not only of events (dear boy) but even those events of his own making. Yet the PLP has no credible alternative to offer. The PLP has had it in the same sense as the Conservatives following Major's General Election defeat and the Labour party's defeat in '79. The biggest problem facing all of the three parties is determining the battleground for, at least, the elections following 2010 and 2015, which, I suspect, is where Davies has, at the very least, started digging the first trench.