• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Ed Forum birdwatching 2008

I have a really ridiculous question: if we go to a wildlife preserve (or some other game park) can it be assumed we don't count those birds? The reason I ask is that there's a farm / preserve near me that has emus. I don't personally think it's "sporting" to count them, but I've never actively done birdwatching for tally purposes before, and I don't know all the rules :)

ETA: Birds seen lately (we've set up new birdfeeders, so are seeing a resurgence of feathered friends):

March 22-23:
-Tufted Titmouse (mice? There are a pair of them)
-Northern Cardinal
 
Last edited:
I have a really ridiculous question: if we go to a wildlife preserve (or some other game park) can it be assumed we don't count those birds? The reason I ask is that there's a farm / preserve near me that has emus. I don't personally think it's "sporting" to count them, but I've never actively done birdwatching for tally purposes before, and I don't know all the rules :)

No, these shouldn't be counted. There is a five-level scale of "spontaneity" for birds:
A - Spontaneously occurring birds in an area since 1950.
B - Spontaneously occurring birds in an area only observed before 1950 (this distinction is mainly a statistical one)
C - Birds introduced by man into an area, or spontaneously occurring birds likely to originate from such a population
D - Possibly spontaneously occurring birds, but ones which cannot definitely be said not to be escapees from parks, farms or similar.
E - Birds which are definitely escapees (ostriches in North America, falcons with falconing gear still attached)

Tame birds and captive birds all fall into category E, which can also be interpreted as birds which are "definitely not spontaneous". There are borderline cases, though, such as birds caught while ringing (or banding). The bird is not spontaneously hanging in mid-air, waiting for your to come and get it, and it certainly doesn't spontaneously sit in your hand for a while. Nevertheless, these should count, I think, because they are spontaneously in the area.

Ideally, anyone who sees a duck in a place where there's even the slightest risk of them not being wild ducks should check if they've had their wings cut. However, this is generally not done unless you are in a park, or the bird is one which is not naturally occurring in the area. No one checks all Mallards in Europe, for instance, but it might be interesting to see if a Wood duck outside a park in Sweden shows signs of being an escapee. It can't be assumed, however. Sweden has two valid findings of American Black Duck, for instance, and recently, Denmark got a Baikal Teal approved after isotope measurements in its feathers, which indicated that it actually came from the Baikal Sea (I don't know how this works, though...)
 
Thanks for that clarification, Kotatsu!

Saw a new one today (well, new for this year):
Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis)

Dallas, TX 3/27/08
 
and I'll update the webpages over the weekend.

PIty there's nothing to add to the Gallery pages:duck:

You didn't take any nice pictures on Cyprus?

As soon as this bloody snow is gone, I'll probably start collecting again. My hope is to get permission to catch some snipes and stuff north of Gothenburg, which should yield some nice stuff. Handheld birds, yes, but they are still birds!
 
You didn't take any nice pictures on Cyprus?

As soon as this bloody snow is gone, I'll probably start collecting again. My hope is to get permission to catch some snipes and stuff north of Gothenburg, which should yield some nice stuff. Handheld birds, yes, but they are still birds!
I have a digital shot of a Cyprus Pied Wheatear that is a black and white blob sitting on a Roman pillar. Enough to tell that it *is* a CPW, but hardly a good bird shot. Managed to get the SLR onto the vagrant Stilt and hope to get down to the local park to finish off the film. Most of the Cyprus birds were just too small/distant even for the telephoto lenses I have (600mm). Film processed next week I hope.

Oh, will try separate state by state US and country for Europe maps for the webpages, just to see how that might look.
 
Wheee, new order!

Seen on warm and lovely Tuesday, the 25th of March:

Yellow-eyed Penguin Megadyptes antipodes, Sandfly Bay, Otago Peninsula

I think they are done with nesting by now, but still industriously honk and whistle their way into the bush of an evening. A penguin in the water, when not actually diving, looks disconcertingly like a swimming duck and then turns into Charlie Chaplin on landfall :D
Love 'em!

Also various gulls, oystercatchers and other riffraff that have already been noted.
 
Last edited:
Finally a new one from Darkest Vermont!

Today I saw a killdeer, charadrius vociferus.

They're common around here, but stand out, since they look like plovers (well, if you want to get picky about it, they are plovers) and always seem a little out of place so far inland, especially in the snow.
 
I have a digital shot of a Cyprus Pied Wheatear that is a black and white blob sitting on a Roman pillar. Enough to tell that it *is* a CPW, but hardly a good bird shot. Managed to get the SLR onto the vagrant Stilt and hope to get down to the local park to finish off the film. Most of the Cyprus birds were just too small/distant even for the telephoto lenses I have (600mm). Film processed next week I hope.

Oh, I know that problem^^. I tried to take some pictures in the wild with my camera, but it's REALLY a beginner's camera, and I'm REALLY a beginner, so you can hardly see there are birds in the pictures. I have given that up for now.

Wheee, new order!

Seen on warm and lovely Tuesday, the 25th of March:

Yellow-eyed Penguin Megadyptes antipodes, Sandfly Bay, Otago Peninsula

Hooray! I think the last new order was EHocking's Phoenicopteridae. We have covered all the common ones now, I think, We only lack Tinamiformes, Opisthocomiformes, Pterocliformes, Cuculiformes, Coliiformes, Trogoniformes, and Upupiformes, if I remember. So apparently we need people who can report from South America, Western Africa and perhaps India, but that was no surprise I guess.

At least you Americans can go and see Trogons without leaving your country...

I don't see the corvus ossifragus on the list. Please add my sighting.

I think that's because Eric hasn't uploaded the new list yet. I have added it already.

Do we have a Muscovy duck (Cairina moschata) yet? Seen today, March 28, in San Antonio, Texas.

Are these wild in Texas? Or is a park duck? I am only asking because I thought this was an Asian duck, and checked with Clements, and there it is listed as "Lowlands of S Mexico to [North-East] Argentina and Brazil".

Today I saw a killdeer, charadrius vociferus.

My hope is to be able to collect parasites from these next year together with a researcher in Canada. So is this also a spring sign?

Red-Breasted Robins (Turdus migratorius) spotted today at Cal State Bakersfield campus.

Is this a common vernacular name for this species? It looks better, to me, than "American Robin", as I dislike species names based on geography.

I have added all these reports.
 
One new shorebird seen today in Colorado, USA:

Tringa melanoleuca Greater Yellowlegs

Also spotted a Charadrius vociferus Killdeer today, first one I have seen in Colorado this year. Bruto spotted one yesterday so it's not a new species for the list.
 
I may be wrong, but I believe I have read somewhere that Cyprus has its own endemic subspecies of several of the species you saw as well, such as the Crossbill, the Coal Tit, and the Goldcrest (by the way, this should be Firecrest, no? Or did you write the wrong scientific name?).
Sorry, I overlooked this. Yes, it was Goldcrest, I'd written down the wrong scientific name.

One more for London for today. Chiffchaff Phylloscopus collybita.
 
I don't recall ever seeing a killdeer in winter, but none of the bird books say anything about migration, so I don't know whether this is a sign of spring or not. It's freezing and there's snow on the ground, but the birds do seem to think it's spring. I keep wondering what those poor robins are living on out there.
 
Finally: both good weather and free time. It resulted in these birds (only interesting sightings listed, though others added to the actual list):

Bullfinch Pyrrhula pyrrhula - more than 30 individuals!
Reed Bunting Emberiza schoeniclus - At a feeding station, as well as singing in the reeds.
Teal Anas crecca
Common Buzzard Buteo buteo
Green Sandpiper Tringa ochropus - Spring signs, and seven of them!
Song thrush Turdus philomelos - also spring signs
Greater spotted woodpecker Dendrocopus major - First woodpecker of the day
Green woodpecker Picus viridis - Second woodpecker of the day
Great Gray Shrike Lanius excubitor no less than five of them today!
Treecreeper Certhia familiaris
Jay Garrulus glandarius
Mistle thrush Turdus viscivorus
Lesser spotted woodpecker Dendrocopus minor - Third woodpecker!
Black Woodpecker Dryocopus martius - Fourth woodpecker!
Kestrel Falco tinnunculus
Rough-legged Buzzard Buteo lagopus
Chiffchaff Phylloscopus collybita
Meadow Pipit Anthus pratensis
Stock pigeon Columba oenas
White Wagtail Motacilla alba

And here's a new species for me:
Three-toed Woodpecker Picoides tridactylus - which constitutes the fifth woodpecker of the day!
 
Too bad it missed the webpage updates that I just completed!:D

Until then, the count is:

Order : 19
Family : 72
Species : 308
Sightings : 509
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom