When I was a kid, I got into D&D. My parents happily got me my first books (The D&D Basic Box set! With the dice, and the crayon to colour in the numbers!) They heard all the talk about how evil it was, and all they cared about was 'He's getting out of the house. Meeting people, and not doing drugs'. Thats it.
I've played AD&D from 1st edition through 3.5 now, and I play a Monk in a table top game where I video conference call to a group in Utah where an awesome DM runs a fantastic game. Its not quite the same as being there, but its still a lot of fun.
But there is still somewhat of a stigma '35 years old, and playing D&D? whats wrong with you?'
Well, my wife doesn't care, and she's played, and enjoyed it.
A couple years ago, I started up another hobby where the overwhelming response is usually along the lines of 'What? You don't have a life, and you live in your mothers basement, right?'
I do this:
This is me with a couple friends. I'm the one in the middle, all dressed in black.
Its a demanding, and expensive hobby. Yet, many say we must have no lives. (Some later come back, and sheepishly ask us where they can get a stormtrooper costume). We go out in costume many times a year, and do it for Charity. Yet we're looked down on.
But show up half-naked, painted in team colours, and acting like a moron to a football game to watch multi-millionaires chase a ball around a field... and you're 'manly'.
Bah. Screw 'em. Go out, have fun!