Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
Stable Master Held in Fatal Beating of 17-year-old
I used to be a fan of Sumo. Even went to see it in person last year, although I haven't been following it much recently.
I have to say that the whole Sumo world disgusts me now. This abuse and hazing of youngsters is just the most lurid part of it.
Another thing is that the lifestyle encouraged by the traditions is totally unhealthy. The Japanese are among the longest-lived people in the world, but Sumo wrestlers have much shorter lives on average. IIRC, I read somewhere that they die in their 50's on average. There is also not to my knowledge any attempt to even find out if performance-enhancing substances are a problem in the sport.
Wake Up Sumo! Welcome to the 21st Century!
I used to be a fan of Sumo. Even went to see it in person last year, although I haven't been following it much recently.
I have to say that the whole Sumo world disgusts me now. This abuse and hazing of youngsters is just the most lurid part of it.
Another thing is that the lifestyle encouraged by the traditions is totally unhealthy. The Japanese are among the longest-lived people in the world, but Sumo wrestlers have much shorter lives on average. IIRC, I read somewhere that they die in their 50's on average. There is also not to my knowledge any attempt to even find out if performance-enhancing substances are a problem in the sport.
Wake Up Sumo! Welcome to the 21st Century!