yeah, nothing positive thenMight as well just go about my life..
Oh, life? That's some negative **** right there man. You need yourself some reeeligiyoooon, brother!
yeah, nothing positive thenMight as well just go about my life..
Let's say you've lived at least a couple of decades, you've examined the options, and you've arrived at atheism.
Well.
Here you are.
What do you do now?
Let's say you then spend a few years trying to rescue other humans from what you (not they) regard as stupidity.
Ok. Then what?
What can you do that is positive?
Are there any specifically atheist 'values'?
Are there any specifically atheist charities that endeavour to improve the plight of individuals?
(I don't think I've heard of any. Whereas religious charities there are thousands.)
Well, it's up to you. What next?
Preferably positive.
I haven't read the entire thread, but has this truely uninformed response been addressed?the clue is in the questionWhat religious affiliation is the Red Cross?
First, let's leave the ACLU out of it. The ACLU is not an atheistic organization. They defend civil liberties for all, including Christians:
http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=26128
http://web.archive.org/web/20050308...a.org/Issues/freespeech/News-SpokTransit.html
http://www.aclu.org/religion/schools/20174prs20050920.html
Exclusive materialism. A materialism which denies the possibility of supposedly non physically verifiable entities like souls, gods, God, demons etc..
I am speaking to this forum, and my experience of this forum is that every atheist I have spoken to or read has been an exclusive materialist.
Exactly the same things I did after I stopped believing in the Easter Bunny. And the same things I plan to do after I stop believing in the invisible pink hamster orbiting Neptune.Plumjam said:Well, it's up to you. What next?
In other words, we learn the following:Is that inspired by your atheism, or would you have done that anyway?
Let's say you've lived at least a couple of decades, you've examined the options, and you've arrived at atheism.
Well.
Here you are.
What do you do now?
Let's say you then spend a few years trying to rescue other humans from what you (not they) regard as stupidity.
Ok. Then what?
What can you do that is positive?
Are there any specifically atheist 'values'?
Are there any specifically atheist charities that endeavour to improve the plight of individuals?
(I don't think I've heard of any. Whereas religious charities there are thousands.)
Well, it's up to you. What next?
Preferably positive.
I used to be able to pick up some great recipes in threads like this one. What's up guys??
Almost as idiotic as Ignoring someone, is posting ******** posts on a thread.take:
one half-pint theist
stir in:
two-bits semi-sweet chocolate guru
several tonnes spiritual superiority derived therefrom
one dose delusion whatever feelings of emptiness and self-loathing led you to guru / God must be universal
strain fragile ego yolks
beat until tender & spongey
fill void with goo
half-bake
frost with "love"
project onto others
... voilà ...
1 divine OP!
This sort of negative thread tells us much more about plumjam than I think he means to let on. Clearly, his life is empty and meaningless, and only religion keeps him from killing himself. He has little interest in helping other people, and projects that feeling onto atheists. His intentional misunderstandings and projections allow him to avoid examining his own life.
He's had all of this explained to him before. He isn't stupid, so clearly he's having a bad week, and is looking to prop up his own emotional state by pretending that he has more in his life by being a theist, because of his claim that atheists have less. It is pretty pathetic, and we should all feel a little bit sorry for him.
Let's say you've lived at least a couple of decades, you've examined the options, and you've arrived at atheism.
Well.
Here you are.
What do you do now?
I usually don't like taking such an approach, but after reading this thread I think I have to say, "Spot on". It is pretty pathetic, especially since this has all been explained to him repeatedly.
ETA:
To which he is likely to respond, "Oh, how typical of all those atheists, negativity, negativity, negativity."
Plumjam, please examine the beam in your own eye.
That's just crazy talk.. . . And the same things I plan to do after I stop believing in the invisible pink hamster orbiting Neptune.
~~ Paul
It isn't as though I much enjoy it either... but at some point, you have to realize that not everyone views the world in the same way that you do. For instance, if you were to ask the questions that plumjam asks, it would be because you actually want an answer. You would listen to the answers, take them as serious and honest answers, and try to gain some knowledge from it. He is just asking so that he can bash atheists and make himself feel more complete by calling atheists less than him. If you conduct yourself with him as though he shares your motives, you'll get nothing but frustrated.
By the same token, plumjam could use a lesson in seeing things from another person's perspective. He has a giant hole in his life, that he fills with religion. He seems to be asking how atheists can live with that gaping abyss in themselves, without religion to fill it. He doesn't understand that, at least for many atheists, that hole simply doesn't exist. We don't need to find something to fill a hole that we don't have.
Almost as idiotic as Ignoring someone, is posting ******** posts on a thread.