Skeptigirl,
Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. I've snipped quite a bit out to reduce the length, but if you feel I've missed any salient points you want a response to, please let me know.
In the case of the changing definition of atoms or any revolutionary scientific discovery for that matter, those concepts change as more and more observations are made, as more evidence accumulates.
In the case of the changing god definition, the concept changes by way of moving the goal post every time the research fails to produce any evidence. That alone applies a "special rule" to god beliefs.
Every completed experiment produces evidence. This difference between the two changing definitions that you find so obvious is unclear to me. Just as with atoms, the concept of god has changed as more and more observations were made, as more evidence accumulated.
The definition of atom was changed in direct response to contrary evidence and that’s fine with you. People can continue believing in atoms, just with a different definition that is, in at least one sense, a complete reversal of the original concept. But when people do the same thing to the definition of god in response to contrary evidence, you term it a ‘special rule’. It seem to me that in both cases, the definition was changed as a direct result of experimental evidence that indicated the previous definition was wrong.
You haven’t made a good argument for why the two cases shoud be treated differently. Thus, it seems to me that it is you who is applying a ‘special rule’ to god beliefs and their changing definitions in response to experimental evidence.
God beliefs have evolved over time. It became obvious to most educated modern people at some point in the past that a lot of god beliefs were just people's imaginations. Zeus, Pe'le, Ra, and so on are now called myths. But in the past, they were true god beliefs. I and many other skeptical observers note there is no real difference between mythological god beliefs and today's god beliefs that believers do not recognize as myths.
Few if any of the skeptics arguing against you are contesting this point. I don’t think there is disagreement among skeptics on the viability of a literal interpretation of the Bible. The mythological roots of many biblical stories are well documented and the majority of believers, mainstream or otherwise, are not fundamentalists who believe the bible is literally true in every detail. That they recognize many of the stories as myths does not invalidate their belief in god. It seems to me that you want to classify every believer as a literalist rather than deal with the fact that they acknowledge the mythological roots of the bible yet still believe in god.
A skeptic immersed in their own god beliefs may very well believe there is a special category of faith based beliefs in which the rules of the scientific process and evidence do not apply.
To be honest, I’m not entirely sure what you mean by faith-based evidence, since I would classify subjective personal experiences as anecdotal evidence. Which is to say, it’s not very good, but it’s better than nothing. Could you explain what you perceive as the difference between 'faith based evidence' and anecdotal evidence? Or perhaps you could direct me to a post written by someone who claims faith-based evidence exists and gives an example that wouldn’t qualify as anecdotal or testimonial evidence.
I challenge those skeptics and agnostic/atheist skeptics to question that special category and special rules and ask themselves, is it legitimate?
In as much as I understand how you are defining ‘special rules’, then yes, I think it is legitimate to do so. I class god as belonging to the category of ‘intangible objects’ and thus, would apply the same rules to god believes that I do to beliefs about other intangible objects, such as justice, morality, or mathematics into this category. Can you tell me how the ‘special rules’ you perceive are being used for beliefs about god differ from the rules of evidence for beliefs about the existance of other intangible objects, such as justice or mathematics?
We know what you believe. You believe there is faith based 'evidence'. You called it something like an inner experience. I'm not sure if you recognize that this inner experience is not evidence as far as the scientific process is concerned.
Actually, I think you may have me confused with some other poster here. I don't recall using the term 'inner experience', though I might have forgotten it if I did. While I believe in the legitimacy of subjective personal experiences and testimonial evidence of such, I also understand it’s limitations. I have never claimed it to be of the same quality as scientific evidence, nor would I classify it as ‘faith based evidence’.
Aside from any argument about what is and what isn't a skeptic, there are set rules of evidence in both the scientific process and in the skeptical process. That's why someone's single anecdote is not sufficient as evidence for a claim. In both science and skepticism, an 'inner experience' would not be evidence even if a billion people believed their 'inner experience' was evidence of God. It just is not within accepted rules of evidence. You cannot change that because you believe otherwise..
We are all subject to the fallability of our senses and our interpretation of what we experience. Thus we all seek confirmation rom others that what they experience is the same as what we experience. That when we see the color we call red, others also see the color red. If a particular subjective experience is shared by a billion people, then it properly takes a great deal of solid evidence to convince humanity that the way they have jointly interpreted the common experience is wrong. This can happen. We know that, despite the evidence of our senses, the earth is spherical, not flat and rotates around the sun, not the other way round. So it is certainly possible that the common interpretation of an experience is incorrect.
Is it the case with god beliefs that everyone been wrong about their interpretation of subjective experiences that represent, to the person who experienced it, evidence of the existance of god? It's certainly
possible, it is far from established that they are all mistaken.