I'm not accusing you of anything. I just have not had the type of experience you're describing, and without data, I don't know how prevalent such experience may be.
And, BTW, I don't hate you--don't know what ever gave you that idea. I'm at least as frustrated by some of the problems in education as you seem to be. Some of my opinions are even in substantial agreement with yours. But they are just that--opinions. The single biggest problem with all education is a lack of good data (you may have noticed that I've not included any in my posts here). Anecdotes are everywhere, but the truth is that nobody can even begin to understand and fix the problems now because we don't even really know what the problems are beyond vague assertions that seem to follow political lines rather than scientific ones.
As I mentioned near the beginning of this thread, I take issue with the sort of test comparisons in the OP, not because I think our education system is fantastic, but because the tests themselves, and the methods of administering, scoring, interpreting, and rendering policy based on them are all severely flawed. I've not yet found any source of data on education that I consider trustworthy.
So perhaps our schools really do suck compared to other countries, or perhaps not. I can readily find a wealth of anecdote going both ways, and my own experience has been mixed.
You have the audacity to question my veracity and suggest that I would prevaricate!?
Man up, dude. If you think I am lying, just say so.
I don't have "the numbers" to verify how prevalent my experience might be. It was an anecdote...those don't require "the numbers," unless I am talking about winning Lotto.
We can't look into a crystal ball. All we can do is use what's available to us. Is that perfect? No...I'm perfect, but that's just what the ladies say....there's no such thing as the perfection you seek before rendering an opinion (since when is an opinion the bane of all critical thought?). The FACT is, and you know this, we score very high when it comes to "self esteem" compared to most other countries, industrialized, emerging, and 3rd world, and abysmally when comparing math and science and even English scores.
We can say, harrumph...it's all academic at this point, because ah, haruumph, we just don't have perfect data as yet, and so I recommend, ahem, doing nothing unti the data can be perfected!
I'm glad Salk didn't look at things that way. Or Colombus. Or Ford. Or hell, even Disney.
If you are, as you present, a liberal, there's very little about your ideologies that is not rooted in hate and anger. I am a conservative, ergo, as a liberal you hate me. It's nothing personal, it's just a foundational bulwark of your ideology.
Tokie