Belief in gods also depends on the proximity of the religions you are then exposed to because of where you were born or live or the culture surrounding you. That seems to me to be evidence the god belief components of that religious experience are arbitrary. Maybe the religion needs certain elements in order for you to fall in love with it and maintain the relationship, but the god beliefs themselves do not come from real gods existing in the Universe. If they did, then where you were born would not matter. When you had that inner experience, it shouldn't depend on the religion you are exposed to, yet it is.
The elements aren't arbitrary, just because they are not uniquely (or even well) defined. I remember a concept from linear algebra called the basis of a set. If I remember correctly, a basis is a subgroup of elements that can be combined to produce any other element in the set. A set can have more than one basis, usually an infinite number.
In one sense what can serve as a basis is arbitrary: lots of choices, no grounds for distinction. Nonetheless, you can't choose any elements you like to serve as the basis. To be as clear as possibly, I'm not claiming that all true religions share a kernel of ineffable truth, just that the word arbitrary is over inclusive.
Since we can't explicitly verify which elements are critical, it makes perfect sense to me that religion is linked to childhood experiences. You have to participate, or at least spend some time watching people who do, in order to judge the results. For christianity and I believe judaism and Islam, you generally need a group to practice with.
I don't think it's sound to conclude that god beliefs therefore have no existence in reality independent of human thought. As I've said before, rational inquiry has limits. You can't do science with the excluded part and many people here seem to respond to this conclusion with something like: "true, but those things don't matter/are boring/are not worth thinking about." *slap* "Felt that didn't ya!"
I don't think that's a fair response unless you're dealing with a true solipsist. The idea that reality or even "useful" reality is co-extensive with rational inquiry require justification. It certainly requires more support than was given in, for example, the post Athon made (though I liked the peerlessly noble sentiment about putting aside personally comfort for the greater good). I think people often go further and imply that reality must be co-extensive with our current empirical knowledge and testing abilities.
What we do know is certainly amazing. In my estimation science has revealed an impressive amount about the physical systems on this planet, and has an adequate account for the general outlines of the evolution of the observable universe. I don't think we know much about social dynamics or consciousness yet. Recognizing those limits is as important as acknowledging that we do know certain things and can dismiss some claims.
There certainly seems to be a shared human ability to feel like you're experiencing something profound, and I can respect (without actually agreeing with) those who take this to mean there's something to religion in general. What I don't understand is the common assertion that there's still more to religion than choosing the one that feels right for you/finding one that gives you this sort of feeling.
Thanks. I understand your caveat. I'm particularly interested in this, because I haven't read an account of the role of religion that convincingly discusses it functions. I'm going one step further than you suggest, though, because I'm arguing that there is something more here than subjective feelings of contentment.
I want to suggest an analogy to language. Languages may not map perfectly onto another. Presumably, that means it's possible to communicate some experiences more easily in one than in the other (e.g. the feeling of "ennui", a sense of "gemulichkiet", or the experience of "harving out"). Nonetheless, we're stuck speaking them one at a time. The choice to speak one over the other will only be a matter of taste or convience when every participant in a conversation is equally fluent in both.
It wouldn't be easy to make an informed choice to speak one in any event, because there are still unanswered questions about what language does. I would view a proposal to radically reform the english language based on the principles of, say Noam Chonsky, in much the same way I would view the reccomendations of a 19th century doctor. I might consider it if the situation was kill or cure.
I think there are similar unanswered questions about religion. I've tried to suggest one aspect that I don't think is generally well addressed: religion creates the potential for certain interactions and the potential to express certain meanings. I don't think these things can be achieved by universal golf club membership. Different religions/ different relationships/meanings. Discriminating between the results is a matter of moral philosophy and observation. I don't think this is the same as choosing between snowcone flavors.
I appreciate your earlier comments suggesting I might not be a raving denialist. I'm aware that, even setting aside epistimological rules about proof, god beliefs/religion are currently in a position that requires serious justification because of the costs associated with maintaining them. This is particularly true in the U.S. where we are having one of our periodic revivals, featuring a brand of religion that is apparently comfortable with *creating* truth a la 1984.
I abhor this approach, likely for the same reasons you do, but with the additional recognition that the behavior of the religious right makes it less reasonable to grant any value to religion, and discredits christianty in particular. Still, I'd like to suggest that demanding people stuggling with different burdens give up something whose function and value can't yet be adequately explained is neither reasonable nor fair. As a result, I don't think it's reasonable to treat religious beliefs like empirical claims, so long as believers respect the limits imposed by empirical knowledge.
My apologies for making this terribly long again.