• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Is there evidence your god beliefs are true while other god beliefs are false?

I do not know any theists that believe other religions are equally valid.
OK.
No my point is that; sadly, they do not.
Check.
I could argue he believes in the ideals, but i cannot be bothered playing semantic games.
But you are already.
Is Sylvia Browne psychic? Sure, Why not.
What does that have to do with religion? Are you playing the "all woo are equal" game?
Are you happy with people believing what they want without any regard to the actual truth?
They will regardless of me being happy about it or not.
Lets take a look at that statement with something more abrupt in its resulting conclusion.
I believe jumping off a ten story building and landing on my head will make me a superstar NBA player.
does the objective validity of my belief matter?
Yes, without realizing the belief has no objective validity, i will be dead once i attempt the jump.
Yes you would.

I am trying to see how that belief is equivalent to a belief system like a religion, or a non theist philosophy. With a belief system, you get to wake up in the morning.
Yes, do you consider it good that things are less than ideal?
I consider that less than ideal is how things are.
I guess it depends on your overall desire for the state of things.
To make my little corner of the world a better place. Beyond that, my control is significantly limited.
A religion is either correct, or it is not. I am one of those who is concerned with the truth regarding correctness.
Thank you.

Once you find out, what do you do with that information?

DR
 
Do you consider believing to be closer to a feeling of trust in some sort of connectedness, or is it more like a set of ideas you consider to be true (and applicable as such to reality). Of course, it might be both, but what do you consider to be more important when talking about belief.

OK - I understand better. I'll just PM you as it seems this is now heading into my personal beliefs on Christianity which will be different to another Christians beliefs. I don't want this thread to head into a dispute with any other Christians.
 
You're spinning your wheels.

While I have no doubt that there are people in the world who think like the above two examples, the fact is that none of them have posted in this thread.

As far as I can recall, all of the theists who have responded in this thread have said -- often repeatedly -- that they do not follow that mindset, especially the "[a]ll other religions are wrong, and the followers will suffer an eternity of hell" bit. This is the assumption that Darth Rotor has been objecting to repeatedly, for example.

I have no reason to think that they're lying about their beliefs. For that matter, I don't think even the Pope claims that.

That doesn't mean that there aren't still interesting things to discuss relating to the topic. For example, I'm still curious how people decide that "while I'm not 100% sure that my religion is 'right' and I don't really think that another is 'wrong,' I'm still going to follow mine."

But to keep asking the question you're asking is futile. Nobody is defending that position.

So every theist here considers religions to be equally valid, and engages in a fun pick and mix to see what flavor they will follow with identical results?

I doubt it.

Whether or not the people who have engage in this thread apply to my very abrupt, black and white logic (which i understand is not ideal, but due to time restraints sometimes points need to made bluntly to get the concept across) does not detract from the overall implications of the topic.

I stand by what i said about passive acceptance due to society being less than ideal.

Is there verifiable evidence for one religion over another?

Surely the contemplation of this should throw the seed of doubt into the mind of believers to think along the lines of:
I live in Jordan, everyone else here is Muslim. Was i just lucky to be born into the correct country?
Does this mean that other whole countries of people are deluded?
I should really find out whether what i believe is true or whether i am just being deluded along with everyone else.

once this train of thought is followed, than the pertinence of the OP starts to shine.
Is the verifiable evidence available?
What is it, if it is?
 
Last edited:
OK - I understand better. I'll just PM you as it seems this is now heading into my personal beliefs on Christianity which will be different to another Christians beliefs. I don't want this thread to head into a dispute with any other Christians.

Start a new thread? It'd be a shame to hide that discussion away!
 
What does that have to do with religion? Are you playing the "all woo are equal" game?

No, i was just trying to illustrate that flippant acceptance from the perspective of desire can lead to wrong conclusions/beliefs.

They will regardless of me being happy about it or not.

Yep, this concerns me. clearly not you ;)

I am trying to see how that belief is equivalent to a belief system like a religion, or a non theist philosophy. With a belief system, you get to wake up in the morning.

As i said, the detrimental result is more final and abrupt, but there is many ways to construe a false religious belief as being detrimental. This is another discussion altogether though. And i am sure they are not always detrimental.

I consider that less than ideal is how things are.

Me too.



Thank you.

Once you find out, what do you do with that information?

DR

If i ever could find the full truth, I would use it to protect myself from being fooled by false beliefs. As i am sure most people would.
 
Last edited:
Start a new thread? It'd be a shame to hide that discussion away!

Why? So you can watch Christians argue about things you don't believe in or understand? I think there's plenty of other internet sources to observe that.

Added:

I'll also add, even if there were Christians who wanted to take part in such a thread - I would stay out of it. I have no desire to argue with them about Christian beliefs.
 
Last edited:
A Christian Sceptic; said:
Why? So you can watch Christians argue about things you don't believe in or understand? I think there's plenty of other internet sources to observe that.

Such humility.
 
Why? So you can watch Christians argue about things you don't believe in or understand? I think there's plenty of other internet sources to observe that.

Because I'm interested. Because I'm interested in trying to understand. We all are.
 
I do not know any theists that believe other religions are equally valid.

Try Ramakrishna, who sequentially practiced Christianity, Islam and various paths within Hinduism, achieving God Realisation in all of them.

[/QUOTE]
 
Try Ramakrishna, who sequentially practiced Christianity, Islam and various paths within Hinduism, achieving God Realisation in all of them.

He is not a personal acquaintance of mine. Hence i do not know him.

Good for him though. I'm sure he is a brilliant man. :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
I am off now. (just finished work)
I will continue this discussion with you at a later time if you want to proceed. :)
 
Added:

I'll also add, even if there were Christians who wanted to take part in such a thread - I would stay out of it. I have no desire to argue with them about Christian beliefs.

What exactly is it you're sceptical about, again?

You, Darth and everyone else here seems more than happy to complain that we're misrepresenting your beliefs, but when asked to tell us exactly what it is you do believe, you clam up. How can we have a profitable debate under these circumstances?

I hate to say it, but it almost seems like you're embarassed to admit the specificities of your belief system in polite company.
 
Last edited:
volatile; said:
What exactly is it you're sceptical about, again?

You, Darth and everyone else here seems more than happy to complain that we're misrepresenting your beliefs, but when asked to tell us exactly what it is you do believe, you clam up. How can we have a profitable debate under these circumstances?

I hate to say it, but it almost seems like you're embarassed to admit the specificities of your belief system in polite company.

I don't hate to say it, because it needs to be said. Christian Sceptic, you have no interest in skepticism or in debate. You have done nothing in this thread but complain about inquiry into religious beliefs and assert that universal Christian dogma doesn't apply to you, while incomprehensibly maintaining that you are a Christian.

Has it ever occurred to you that many people on this forum used to be Christian, and are even Christian still? This is a place for debate and discussion, why won't you participate? Did Jesus flutter down on a palanquin carried by eight thousand Seraphim to tell you never to talk about your religion? The purpose of this thread is to discuss the whys and wherefores of religious beliefs, so if you are not here to discuss that, what are you doing here?
 
Obviously, we poor pitiful atheists could not possibly understand what you Christians have to talk about.

You're right - but it has nothing to do with being poor or pitiful. You're outside of it.

I won't understand the finer points of quantum mechanics being discussed between two quantum theorists because I'm not one. I'm might be able to grasp quantum menchanics as a whole - in a very broad way, but not the specifics.
 
You're right - but it has nothing to do with being poor or pitiful. You're outside of it.

I won't understand the finer points of quantum mechanics being discussed between two quantum theorists because I'm not one. I'm might be able to grasp quantum menchanics as a whole - in a very broad way, but not the specifics.

How would you ever learn if every quantum mechanic you ever met refused to talk about quantum mechanics?

Man up, CS. If you don't subscribe to Christian dogma, tell us what it is you do believe. Put it on the table.
 
What exactly is it you're sceptical about, again?

You, Darth and everyone else here seems more than happy to complain that we're misrepresenting your beliefs, but when asked to tell us exactly what it is you do believe, you clam up. How can we have a profitable debate under these circumstances?

I hate to say it, but it almost seems like you're embarassed to admit the specificities of your belief system in polite company.

Study these and get back to me if you have any queries:

http://discoursesbymeherbaba.org/v1-13.php
http://discoursesbymeherbaba.org/v2-10.php
http://discoursesbymeherbaba.org/v3-10.php

Well, you did ask. ;)

And just to preempt anyone, no, I'm not going to put it into a less than 200 words precis nicely presented for you. If you're genuinely interested in spirituality you'll be willing to do the work yourself.

Peace and Love.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom