• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Is there evidence your god beliefs are true while other god beliefs are false?

Not a problem for me at all, you are the one with your panties in a bunch over someone else's world view.
Pot, meet kettle. The only two people upset in this thread are upset the question was asked.

That isn't what was asked. If you read the entire post in context, you might discover the well poisoning in the post, rather than the question, which is

A. An old question frequently asked on this forum

B. Not presented in a manner that invited further discussion

Style counts.

Nope. Try figuring out the difference between critical thinking and people attempting to be patronizing. It will do you good.

DR
Care to point to past threads? Perhaps I should have just resurrected one?

Like I said already, your cynicism is misplaced. Ask yourself why it angers you to have your beliefs (or your friend's beliefs if that's why you are annoyed) challenged.
 
Last edited:
...
If so, I ask you again, why I should care about why another persons believes differently than me, religion wise. It seems that the author of post #1 cares....
DR
Might I remind you of the JREF mission statement
The James Randi Educational Foundation is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1996. Its aim is to promote critical thinking by reaching out to the public and media with reliable information about paranormal and supernatural ideas so widespread in our society today....

If you can explain why some god beliefs are special and don't fall into the category of supernatural, then we're all listening.
 
Just to bump the thread and keep it OT, the question is about how one can recognize other god beliefs are false, yet justify one's own gods beliefs are true?
The most funnest one I've heard is the reason Christians know that their faith is the right one is because it is the only one that has "God" send his "only son" to "die for our sins," and other details from their book of myths. In other words, Christianity is true because it is Christianity... I swear I've heard this argument over and over, and seen it in print for years. There are Christians who are convinced that quoting from their own book is proof.

When they throw in that smug smirk with their nonsense argument, I want to beat them to death with a ****-dipped sea bass.
 
The most funnest one I've heard is the reason Christians know that their faith is the right one is because it is the only one that has "God" send his "only son" to "die for our sins," and other details from their book of myths. In other words, Christianity is true because it is Christianity... I swear I've heard this argument over and over, and seen it in print for years. There are Christians who are convinced that quoting from their own book is proof.

When they throw in that smug smirk with their nonsense argument, I want to beat them to death with a ****-dipped sea bass.

I have a stock one word rebuttal: Balder.
 
I once prayed to God for a Mercedes Benz and world peace.

Three Mercs later, I know all I need to about His priorities.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

(Not original)
 
WWBD?

What would Balder do? Have a wild party!

Balder would probably have got rid of all the mistletoe in the vicinity of Loki BEFORE getting blind drunk at the party

ETA Oh what WOULD he have done, not what SHOULD he have done, I see now, yes it's clearing nicely
 
Last edited:
The topic of the forum is, in more ways than I care to mention in this post, an attempt to drag believers of a higher power into a fight and electronically bash in their brains.

While I am not sure that was the intent of skepticgirl, I am convinced, without the need of more supplementary evidence, that is what the intent of some who are posting here on this forum, looking for the right thread to get out some frustrations on some poor dope who just happens to be vocal about believing in a god of one sort or another.

And the usual tactic is this, "Oh you believe in a deity, gosh that must mean you’re stupid. Get him!"

The idea that a person who believes in some form of higher power, and that must mean that they are unenlightened, and primitive, seems to be a common theme.

Now, I am not going to argue any aspect of why anyone else's religious beliefs are more true than another's, because I personally believe that the entire idea of the thread is a trap, or at least that is what it may not have been originally designed to be, but it most certainly is now, however I will say this. The comment posted by Ladewig is truly reminiscent of about a thousand others I have seen posted to this board, and it betrays the EXACT intent of the people posting.

So here's an idea. How about we actually discuss the differences of people's belief structures and why one might be more valid than another's?
 
Last edited:
While I don't condone the theist bashing in the thread, I believe it is the result of nothing else to do. No theists so far have shown up for the debate.

If one is going to claim one's own god beliefs are valid and ignore the cognitive dissonance created when one then concludes, based on evidence, other god beliefs are not valid, then that person is no longer simply segregating their faith based god beliefs from their skeptically based view of the rest of the world.

I would love to discuss the "differences of people's belief structures and why one might be more valid than another's". Can you find any theists who have joined the, "You can't disprove my beliefs", threads to join this one?
 
Last edited:
"I believe because I believe," said one machine to the other, "that I was created with purpose."

"And if you were not created with purpose," the other machine inquired, "would you still believe?"

"I believe because I believe."

"Inferior programming."
 
While I don't condone the theist bashing in the thread, I believe it is the result of nothing else to do. No theists so far have shown up for the debate.

If one is going to claim one's own god beliefs are valid and ignore the cognitive dissonance created when one then concludes, based on evidence, other god beliefs are not valid, then that person is no longer simply segregating their faith based god beliefs from their skeptically based view of the rest of the world.

I would love to discuss the "differences of people's belief structures and why one might be more valid than another's". Can you find any theists who have joined the, "You can't disprove my beliefs", threads to join this one?

I don't like people who claim that "You can't disprove my beliefs", therefore I dont associate myself with them.

ALL RELIGIOUS BELIEFS are subject to scrunity. Period.

Even mine.
 
I'd actually like to hear some answers to this original question as well, but I suspect that what we'll actually get is what I have heard before:
1) Answers that do not actually answer the question, but instead demonize people of alternate religious beliefs. "See, the Jews killed Jesus, and that's why we hate them." (An actual statement by a relative of mine, BTW, though not one I particularly agree with.)
2) Anger as the cognitive dissonance kicks in, and the believer projects their confusion and anger onto the person asking the question, again, avoiding a real answer.

That said, I think I'd still like to hear some answers, or at least understand how believers rationalize that they have picked or were born into the "right" religion. The proper response I would give to one of these answers is "Thank you for your time. I appreciate your honesty. I learned something today."

Even I have the decency to reserve my rebuttals for a later moment, after I have collected enough information to see where, in my opinion, their reasoning falls short.
 
The topic of the forum is, in more ways than I care to mention in this post, an attempt to drag believers of a higher power into a fight and electronically bash in their brains.

While I am not sure that was the intent of skepticgirl, I am convinced, without the need of more supplementary evidence, that is what the intent of some who are posting here on this forum, looking for the right thread to get out some frustrations on some poor dope who just happens to be vocal about believing in a god of one sort or another.

And the usual tactic is this, "Oh you believe in a deity, gosh that must mean you’re stupid. Get him!"

The idea that a person who believes in some form of higher power, and that must mean that they are unenlightened, and primitive, seems to be a common theme.

Now, I am not going to argue any aspect of why anyone else's religious beliefs are more true than another's, because I personally believe that the entire idea of the thread is a trap, or at least that is what it may not have been originally designed to be, but it most certainly is now, however I will say this. The comment posted by Ladewig is truly reminiscent of about a thousand others I have seen posted to this board, and it betrays the EXACT intent of the people posting.

So here's an idea. How about we actually discuss the differences of people's belief structures and why one might be more valid than another's?

So, what was the purpose of your "holier than thou" post here? Your intent seems rather suspect, from where I'm standing.

Here's an idea: instead of complaining about the intent of others, why don't YOU "discuss the differences of people's belief structures and why one might be more valid than another's"?
 
So, what was the purpose of your "holier than thou" post here? Your intent seems rather suspect, from where I'm standing.

Here's an idea: instead of complaining about the intent of others, why don't YOU "discuss the differences of people's belief structures and why one might be more valid than another's"?

Thank you for proving my point . . . .
 
Thank you for proving my point . . . .

Your point being that when you, V23, show up with a chip on your shoulder, people treat you like someone with a chip on your shoulder? You posted with the intent of garnering negativity, in order to safely avoid real discussion while maintaining your feelings of superiority over others.

The fact that you will probably never get around to discussing "the differences of people's belief structures and why one might be more valid than another's", proves MY point.

Thanks for playing... :D
 
Seriously. Darth - what makes your world-view beyond critique? What's wrong with asking questions? It's what this forum exists for, isn't it?
If you don't care for my world view, presuming you think you know what it is, you are invited to enjoy your own world view.

How does that grab you?

I am curious: do you get your jollies criticizing other people's world views?

I figured out a while back that there isn't a universally right world view. If you wish to pursue that chimera, good hunting.

You want to be a Bhuddist? Good for you.

Islam brings you the peace of Allah? Go for it.

Agnostic your bag? Wallow in your joy.

Atheist to your taste? Enjoy.

That is not the tone of this thread, nor of the OP.

DR
 
Like I said already, your cynicism is misplaced. Ask yourself why it angers you to have your beliefs (or your friend's beliefs if that's why you are annoyed) challenged.
You earlier used the word disdain. Far more accurate than anger. And no, I am not upset that this came up again.

I ask you again, why would I care that a Hindu believes as he does?

Why should I?
If you can explain why some god beliefs are special and don't fall into the category of supernatural, then we're all listening.
1. Don't make me laugh, listening isn't the same as waiting to talk.

2. That isn't what the OP is about.

3. Merry Christmas.

ETA, sorry, meant to Preview

You also mentioned wasting my time.

Indeed, a bit of mine, and a bit of yours as well.

Everybody got to waste time.

I feel a lot of love in this room.

DR
 
Last edited:
Your point being that when you, V23, show up with a chip on your shoulder, people treat you like someone with a chip on your shoulder? You posted with the intent of garnering negativity, in order to safely avoid real discussion while maintaining your feelings of superiority over others.

The fact that you will probably never get around to discussing "the differences of people's belief structures and why one might be more valid than another's", proves MY point.

Thanks for playing... :D

No Joe . . .If you want to discuss what the definition of a valid belief system vs. one that isn't, fine we can discuss it. The point of the matter is we were not, and if you had read the previous post in the thread, which obviously you haven't, you would see that all that had been created in this thread was another straw man to be set on fire by flamers, just like you.

But since you bring it up, lets discuss it.

I define valid belief systems as those that actually WORK for the individual. In other words, a religious belief, or philosophical belief should be something that is not just taken with blind faith but is actually applicable to an individual's life.

In my view, beliefs should work FOR YOU, and not against you.

In your opinion, which religious beliefs do you see that work for the given person that believes in them, and which ones you see as harmful?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom