• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Is there evidence your god beliefs are true while other god beliefs are false?

I'm reminded of my "Statistical Proof of God" post, wherein it was discussed that every competing claim of authority dilutes possible authenticity . . .

"If two religions are in conflict, then one must be wrong. But if one, why not both?" - Carl Sagan in Cosmos
 
Some of us actually care whether our ideas are true or not. If you are indifferent to lies, that is your problem.
Not a problem for me at all, you are the one with your panties in a bunch over someone else's world view.
No, it's a valid criticism. On what grounds does a theist dimiss the gods of other faiths while embracing their own?
That isn't what was asked. If you read the entire post in context, you might discover the well poisoning in the post, rather than the question, which is

A. An old question frequently asked on this forum

B. Not presented in a manner that invited further discussion

Style counts.
They should. It's called critical thinking.
Nope. Try figuring out the difference between critical thinking and people attempting to be patronizing. It will do you good.

DR
 
Not a problem for me at all, you are the one with your panties in a bunch over someone else's world view.

Sorry, I go commando.

That isn't what was asked. If you read the entire post in context, you might discover the well poisoning in the post, rather than the question, which is

A. An old question frequently asked on this forum

B. Not presented in a manner that invited further discussion

Style counts.

Nope. Try figuring out the difference between critical thinking and people attempting to be patronizing. It will do you good.

DR

The reason the question keeps being asked is because no one can provide an answer. There is no valid reason to accept one faith as true and another as false. It's that simple.
 
The reason the question keeps being asked is because no one can provide an answer. There is no valid reason to accept one faith as true and another as false. It's that simple.
If there is no answer, then why ask the question?

As to commando: :D Good one.

DR
 
:confused:
Can you explain how something could be wrong in detail, but not generally ?
You are kidding, right?

Example: I got a 92 on my test. I wasn't wrong generally, but I got a few details wrong. I was wrong on some details.

DR
 
Not a problem for me at all, you are the one with your panties in a bunch over someone else's world view.

What is this forum for, if not for discussing "world views"? In 12,000 posts, I'm sure you've felt justified in disagreeing with someone's "world view" at least once.

What ever have you been talking about on here otherwise? Pretty much every single thread on this entire forum is debate over some part of someone's world-view. Why is yours beyond critique?
 
Last edited:
You are kidding, right?

Example: I got a 92 on my test. I wasn't wrong generally, but I got a few details wrong. I was wrong on some details.

DR
Nice try, but no cigar ...

Some details are more critical than others.. ( within a given belief system )

Try to tell most Christians that the detail about accepting Christ as your savior, is one you can get a waver on ..
 
Nice try, but no cigar ...

Some details are more critical than others.. ( within a given belief system )

Try to tell most Christians that the detail about accepting Christ as your savior, is one you can get a waver on ..
You are the one cherry picking the details, so please, enjoy your sojurn into the fruit orchard.

DR
 
Because religion still exists, and religious people still claim their religion is right and true, and all the others are evil false.

You can't possibly be this dense.
You can't possibly be this much the fool, to presume that your strawman is a substitute for reality. Theory versus practice.

The habits of religious people, the actual people, vary. Some people do just as you state, some others don't.

How hard is that for you to grasp?

You also make a bit of a leap on the "evil and false" when "false" may be the only position some take. Again, some people do hold to the "evil and false."

So what? I note some of the atheists on this board hold religion to be evil and false. Others don't.

So what?

DR
 
You can't possibly be this much the fool, to presume that your strawman is a substitute for reality. Theory versus practice.

The habits of religious people, the actual people, vary. Some people do just as you state, some others don't.

How hard is that for you to grasp?

You also make a bit of a leap on the "evil and false" when "false" may be the only position some take. Again, some people do hold to the "evil and false."

So what? I note some of the atheists on this board hold religion to be evil and false. Others don't.

So what?

DR

You have thus far failed to answer why people hold that therif faith and good and true, but others evil and false. Please either answer the question, of shove off. So far all you've done is whine.
 
You are the one cherry picking the details, so please, enjoy your sojurn into the fruit orchard.

DR
You seem to be a master of projection ..

It wasn't I who claimed you can get some details wrong but still be right, generally ..

Who gets to pick the details ?

Why are you participating in this thread ?
You seem unable to answer the question ...
 
You seem to be a master of projection.
It wasn't I who claimed you can get some details wrong but still be right, generally ..
Science does this, doesn't it? ;) Part of the trick is to sort out which is right, and which is wrong, and pursue some new answers, which lead to new questions, and then new ways to be wrong while generally right.
Who gets to pick the details ?
Grasshopper finally understands the game. :cool:
Why are you participating in this thread ?
I feel like it. What's that to you?
You seem unable to answer the question ...
Did you bother to read the OP?

If so, I ask you again, why I should care about why another persons believes differently than me, religion wise. It seems that the author of post #1 cares. I have found that the danger comes from people who have opposed political views, which sometimes do, and sometimes don't, fold religion, and religious symbology into them.

That's were you find the high body counts.

DR
 
Last edited:
You have thus far failed to answer why people hold that therif faith and good and true, but others evil and false. Please either answer the question, of shove off. So far all you've done is whine.
None of you have demonstrated why that is a necessary question. It has been asked time and again on this forum. It has been used as an assertion with the form of a question.

So, what is SG trolling for?

Your assumption seems to be that religious people care about that question.

Some do, some don't.

So what?

DR
 
Last edited:
Seriously. Darth - what makes your world-view beyond critique? What's wrong with asking questions? It's what this forum exists for, isn't it?

If you don't have a cogent answer to the question, that's fine; it's just a little ridiculous to wrap up an inability to answer in some kind of affected blanket of disdain.
 
Last edited:
None of you have demonstrated why that is a necessary question. It has been asked time and again on this forum. It has been used as an assertion with the form of a question.

So, what is SG trolling for?

Your assumption seems to be that religious people care about that question.

Some do, some don't.

So what?

DR


If religious people do not care about whether their beliefs are true or not, then they are barely human.
 
So, what is SG trolling for?

Your assumption seems to be that religious people care about that question.

Some do, some don't.

So what?

If you don't care, what is your point ?

The question says nothing about caring ...
Beliefers can either explain why their beliefs are more valid than someone else's, or they can't .

You obviously can't ...
 
Last edited:
There are numerous threads in the forum currently asking atheists for evidence that no gods exist. Yet I ask a similar question from theists, and I even soften it to something more tangible knowing the usual explanation that no evidence for god beliefs is supposedly required. But instead of either staying out of the thread, offering a polite, "no, I have no evidence", or actually providing something empirical as to why one believes in one or more gods but not all gods, there is this anger that I should dare ask.

sinclair said:
This has been picked over so many times and so often it's just tiresome. You already heard all the proof believers have to offer, so what are you looking for? Someone to pick on? Quite honestly, the non-believers (some of them) seem so smug and sure of themselves that it just takes away from an active discussion. It's just like "I'm right and you're wrong, na na na na na!" Give it a rest willya?
Though he did add
sinclair said:
Sorry for the outburst.


DR said:
1. Why would I care? I don't.
2. I note your poisoning of the well.
3. Your claim of "no disrespect" is viewed skeptically, see point 2.

You are focusing on "beliefs" and seem to be ignoring philosophy. This is the standard, blinders-on approach from one side of an issue.
If you have a justification based on philosophy why one god belief is true and other god beliefs are not, then perhaps you could articulate what that justification is. After all, you cared enough to join the thread.

DR said:
I note a number of your responders wonder why "theists" choose to let you stew in your own juices on this topic.
I hadn't noticed they considered this to be purely my thread.

DR said:
An interesting brand of "people skills" is in evidence here. It ought to occur to you that perhaps a theist doesn't necessarily frame the question that way, or even bother to waste time on it.
Yet here you are here wasting time.

Perhaps it might occur to you that your cynicism is misplaced. First, if theists don't care, then why are there several threads started by theists asking atheists to disprove theist god beliefs?

And second, I am not here to bash theists. If I have any motive it is simply to challenge people's beliefs. I see evidence that such beliefs are based on indoctrination, not on "faith" or "philosophy". What you are claiming is that I can challenge any belief except certain special god beliefs. Should I cross the line and challenge special god beliefs then the anger comes out. Think about that DR.

Ask yourself why that is. Why are there two people here voicing anger that someone dares ask the question and not a single person here is able to articulate even one particular aspect of god beliefs, that is, why is one god belief valid and most if not all other god beliefs invalid. And does the fact people for the most part believe in the gods they were introduced to by accident of birth not count as evidence it is indeed indoctrination and not "faith" that is behind their god beliefs?
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom