Sound ideas, casebro. I seem to remember something about baboons along those lines, that only the dominant female ovulates.
But I am far from convinced that it occurs at all. The evidence is way to thin for me.
The problem with that idea is that humans don't seem to have a breeding season, so I am not at all sure you would get enough simultanious pregnancies in the size groups that existed to be of any benifit.
Primatologist Patricia Whitten of Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, thinks that it might benefit the baboons, which are able to breed year round, not to conceive in the plum season, as this is the rainiest time of year, when disease is most likely.
I just read this the other day, as it was one of the NS headline articles, but I don't think baboons have a set-in-stone breeding season, either:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19526135.400-primates-on-the-pill.html
But they apparently might use plums as contraceptives at certain times.
TheAtheist, this is a skeptic forum. If you're not a skeptic, please go post your musings on a paranormal lacky site.
Go Away
You are being collectively ignored by the entire 13,000 JREF forum members.
I'm thinking TTLer might be a woo who is simply playing a charicature of a skeptic.
I'm thinking TTLer might be a woo who is simply playing a charicature of a skeptic.
It's a rather devastating critique if he's serious.![]()
I'm thinking TTLer might be a woo who is simply playing a charicature of a skeptic.
TheAtheist, this is a skeptic forum. If you're not a skeptic, please go post your musings on a paranormal lacky site.
I'm thinking TTLer might be a woo who is simply playing a charicature of a skeptic.
Ooh, I just noticed my private message from TTLer, sent this morning:
What a pleasant new member of the forum.
Thanks to those who stood up for free speech and reasonable discussion in this thread.

Quite the little hypocrite, aren't you?
You malign others for not being "true" skeptics and then throw up this anecdote as evidence?