You are very good at false abstractions, Kevin. That, however, does not make it a question of using more or less
"emotive" terms. I have already used the example of murder as a
"subcategory" of
human behaviour. You don't criticize human behaviour in general because you criticize murder. When you abstract from murder, it is only because you don't want to deal with reality, not because you are looking for a less
"emotive" term.
You might also describe a crime like
using the nerve gas sarin to poison people as merely an example of somebody polluting breathing air, thus equating it with, for instance, smoking tobacco. However, smoking tobacco is not equated with mass murder
in reality merely because somebody creates a
false abstraction that does.
I can see why some people would like to prevent the use of emotive language when referring to the case of Marsha Allen. Any defense lawyer, for instance, probably would.
But let’s take a look at he case in hand:
This article from today's paper made me think of this thread, so I thought I'd link to it for the perspective of a child whose pictures appear in 80% of kiddie porn collections
http://www.thestar.com/article/169555
http://www.thestar.com/article/169557
Let’s hear what the [emotive language]poor[/emotive language] girl has to say:
When I arrived at Matthew's house, I was only five years old and didn't know much English. I did know that he didn't have a bedroom for me. Or a bed. Instead I slept with him in his bed for almost five years until I was 10 years old. During that time Matthew made me have sex with him every day.
As far as I can see, this is not a very
emotive way of describing what happened to her, is it? OK, I might object to the euphemism of
”slept with”, but what the hell …
He made me take showers with him ... Sometimes he chained me in the basement and took pictures of me with dildos or dressed in a wedding gown. He would pretend to marry me and then make me have sex with him. There was oral sex, anal sex, dildos and sex toys. He did and made me do terrifying things when I was just 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 years old.
What would you object to in this description, Kevin? The word
”terrifying”, I presume. Or maybe you would prefer to rephrase the sentence
“He made me take showers with him” as
'Like most other foster parents he was naturally concerned about my personal hygiene' ….
I can't even remember all the abusive things he did to me. Unfortunately, though, I can't forget because there are pictures of the abuse. Hundreds and hundreds of pictures of Matthew doing horrible things to me like the kind I describe above. ... All of this and I was just a child. Since he didn't want me to grow up, he only let me eat a little bit of food – plain pasta, raw vegetables, no meat. Five years after I went to live with him I had only gained a little bit of weight. When the FBI found me I was 10 years old but only wore a size 6X.
Wow, here the girl gets
outrageously emotional using words such as
”abusive” and
”horrible”! We must avoid that at all costs! You would probably prefer to rephrase the second half as,
'he was seriously concerned about my weight and did everything in his power to avoid that I become a victim of the curse of obesity'.
The absolute worse thing about everything that happened to me was that Matthew put my pictures on the Internet. He traded them with other people like baseball cards. What kind of people want to see pictures of a little girl being abused in this way?
The absolute worse thing about this paragraph – Isn’t it as obvious to the rest of you as it is to me? – is that the dirty little manipulative whore
ends this paragraph with a rhetorical question!!!
OK, let’s get
‘unemotional’ and see how you, Kevin, would like to describe this case:
downloading a picture of a crime long after the criminal involved has been brought to justice is simply not morally equivalent to committing that crime in the first place. Even if a child abuse victim says otherwise.
I think there are defensible arguments for saying that it should be illegal to possess or distribute pictures of other people, if those other people do not want their pictures possessed or distributed. I think there are also defensible arguments for saying that criminalising such possession or distribution is a bad idea.
We are no longer dealing with rape, statutory rape, sexual abuse, abuse of a child in your care, which would all be categories that abstract from the actual case. Instead you insist on using the word
”crime” in order to put in on par - not with other such cases, but – with shoplifting, joyriding or similar
crimes. And in the manner of somebody joyriding who may find it a little disconcerting that a video of his crime and apprehension can now be found on YouTube, it may be quite understandable that this particular little girl does not like to see photos of herself as a six-year-old, dressed in a wedding dress and with a dildo inserted in her vagina, being downloaded by perverts who get off on this. But it’s probably just due to her
age. Hopefully, when she grows up, she won’t be so
emotional about the whole thing ….
I feel an ad hom coming up, Kevin, but I simply cannot think of words to describe you!